User Tag List

123 Last

brainheart

Default Why I didn't want to be an INFP

I tested as an INFP when I was sixteen.... I was a total INFP child... and yet I have spent the last nine months trying to prove to myself and others that I am a succession of other personality types- INTP, INFJ, INTJ, ISFP, ISTP, ENFP.

Why? Why am/was I so adamant against being an INFP?

Possibilities:

1. They can seem so full of themselves sometimes... elitist, condescending, superior, judgmental, etc, or at the least, profoundly self-absorbed. (Pot calling the kettle black? )

2. It seems like such a cliche to be an INFP, especially when you are a writer (which I am) and have thought about being an English teacher, musician, artist. I want to be a contradiction, not one of the mold, which is such an INFP thing, non?

3. I am not spiritual.

4. I don't have a deep-seated desire to help others, although I am constantly rescuing insects, mice, etc.

I know there's more, but I don't feel like expounding at the moment. Besides, I'm curious as to whether other's have had this issue, INFP or not.

Have any of you not wanted to be the type you actually are?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

ok prob nr 1 can be solved by developping your Fi

Prob nr 2 *is* solved by looking at prob nr 3 and 4

And prob nr 3 and 4 aren't really probs, they're your unique traits
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP

I think most male INFPs at least have railed against the profile, and tried to convince themselves that they are another type. You also see quite a few supposed INTPs who realize they are probably a Feeler rather than a Thinker, and decide they must therefore be INFJ rather than INFP. Not pointing any fingers, but it seems a bit suspicious though unsurprising to me. Emo, rainbow-huggers, doormats -- the stereotypes are not flattering.

brainheart

Yeah, and I have always identified more with males than females, so it makes sense that I, too, would rail against the profile, as you say.

Oh, I'm female, btw.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

For some reason, I thought you were an INFP back when you were an ISFP. Probably because when a person makes so many drastic type changes, 8 times out of 10 they are INFP. That, and you give me an INFP-ish vibe. I don't know...why do INFPs want to be every type except INFP? Is it part of the "not having a clear sense of self and trying to find oneself" bit that some have going? Sincerely asking because it's an interesting trend that most of the NFs that I think are mistyped seem to be INFP. I think it's a given that one is not going to fit perfectly into a type description, so why?

I've never wanted to be another type. I like being INFJ. I think it's awesome. Possibly because I am one, and I'm coming from an INFJ perspective.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

There are a lot of self-hating INFP's on this board, who call themselves INXP or eNFP, or INTP etc... I think this is because there are so few INFP's around that people base their opinions of the type on stereotypes from others on this board.
    Just be who you are. Don't worry about type. It's only a little more 'accurate' than astrology anyway. I think you'll find that there are no standard INFP's, so I wouldn't worry about being a cliche.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    For some reason, I thought you were an INFP back when you were an ISFP. Probably because when a person makes so many drastic type changes, 8 times out of 10 they are INFP.
    I know I have a tendency to bristle when people say things like this. I don't want to be predictable! So when you can say, "Oh, sigh, her behavior is so INFP!" or "INFPs do this..." It's like, "No, dammit! I'm unique!"

Introverted feeling, I guess? Your extroverted feeling makes you dig the commonality? While I am supposed to be one of a kind?

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    There are a lot of self-hating INFP's on this board, who call themselves INXP or eNXP, or INTP etc... I think this is because there are so few INFP's around that people base their opinions of the type on stereotypes from others on this board.
    Good point. And because we base ourselves on our subjective values, there is quite a variance in what we value and how we behave.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    For some reason, I thought you were an INFP back when you were an ISFP. Probably because when a person makes so many drastic type changes, 8 times out of 10 they are INFP. That, and you give me an INFP-ish vibe. I don't know...why do INFPs want to be every type except INFP? Is it part of the "not having a clear sense of self and trying to find oneself" bit that some have going? Sincerely asking because it's an interesting trend that most of the NFs that I think are mistyped seem to be INFP.
    Isn't this typical for most people of a certain age? To search for an identity?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    "No, dammit! I'm unique!"
    I thought exactly the same thing when I first read the INFP profile and recognized the fit. Followed shortly afterwards by an intense wave of relief that I wasn't unique after all.

While aspects of the profile rankled, I didn't really ever dislike the idea of being an INFP until I arrived at these MBTI forums and became exposed to the stereotypes and, in a few cases, unflattering examples of the type.