User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 103

  1. #31
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    I kinda like INFPs. I still have a small suspicion that I might be INFP instead of INTP, especially with all this talk about the frequency of INFP type-denial. They tend to have such nice eyes!
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  2. #32
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    I didn't want to be enfp when I first was tested in college (very low T) because I was in engineering and the feeling part did not appeal to me. I also didn't appreciate that I scored low E because I wanted to be "extremely outgoing"

    Then in my 20s I started to feel like I didn't fit in with everyone else. They drove their kids places, I would talk to my kids about how they made telephone poles while we drove somewhere. At one point I even saw a kid looking at me like he had not heard anyone talk like that. I just wanted to be an ESFP, normal person. Or SJ.

    I didn't have the letters in front of me (other than the college test, which I ignored), but I was trying to be someone else.

  3. #33
    Uniqueorn William K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Where is an "I'm an INFP and proud to be one!" emoticon when you need one?

    Seriously though, if I believed that changing 4 letters would change who I am, I might consider being another type, probably an ENFP or ENFJ. They don't seem to have as many 'negatives' attached to their description. For an INFP, even the 'positives' such as being truly a Mr Nice Guy comes with a "Nice guys always finish last". I think it's normal for an INFP to feel that the grass is greener on the other side.

    But life alas doesn't work that way. That shouldn't stop anyone from improving who you are though and working on actively using any of the 8 cognitive functions.

    In the end, you are who you make yourself to be, not what 4 letters of the alphabet say you are or are not.

  4. #34
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    Where is an "I'm an INFP and proud to be one!" emoticon when you need one?

    Seriously though, if I believed that changing 4 letters would change who I am, I might consider being another type, probably an ENFP or ENFJ. They don't seem to have as many 'negatives' attached to their description. For an INFP, even the 'positives' such as being truly a Mr Nice Guy comes with a "Nice guys always finish last". I think it's normal for an INFP to feel that the grass is greener on the other side.

    But life alas doesn't work that way. That shouldn't stop anyone from improving who you are though and working on actively using any of the 8 cognitive functions.

    In the end, you are who you make yourself to be, not what 4 letters of the alphabet say you are or are not.
    WURD!

  5. #35
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    I empathize with you.

    I think that the best way you can overcome the bad INFP stereotypes is by looking at "famous" ones like William Shakespeare and Homer. These men were highly influential to society, and I cannot see a reason why you wouldn't want to identify with them, or even aspire to be somewhat like them.

    Secondly, you have to keep in mind that the online illustrations of INFPs are extremely fallible and crappy. They represent INFPs in an effeminate and insecure light. You don't have to fit the mold to what they say. Be your own INFP. Don't conform to what the masses say.

    EDIT: I am glad you made this thread. You read my mind.

  6. #36
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I think that the best way you can overcome the bad INFP stereotypes is by looking at "famous" ones like William Shakespeare and Homer. These men were highly influential to society, and I cannot see a reason why you wouldn't want to identify with them, or even aspire to be somewhat like them.
    I think one of the problems with being INFP is that it seems you must take the strengths of the type to extraordinary lengths before they become valued by society (as opposed to just by your friends), whereas most other types have strengths which are esteemed even in a moderate or mediocre form.

  7. #37
    Senior Member rainoneventide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    365

    Default

    When I found out I was an INFP, I didn't really know anything about MBTI before then. So when I read it I was like, woah, this is scarily accurate. So no, I've never wanted to be any other type. I mean, it'd be nice if I were an ENFJ or ENFP, but I'm not going to beat myself up for being an INFP... even if it's freaking hard in most of our societies.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

  8. #38
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    maybe if enough INFPs defy the stigma in the next decade or so, the many embarrassing type descriptions will change.

    brb writing depressing poetry after crying when my girlfriend broke up with me over the phone

    (btw I don't have a girlfriend, she's imaginary)

  9. #39
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I think one of the problems with being INFP is that it seems you must take the strengths of the type to extraordinary lengths before they become valued by society (as opposed to just by your friends), whereas most other types have strengths which are esteemed even in a moderate or mediocre form.
    True. Damn, I guess I'm too idealistic.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Chloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I think one of the problems with being INFP is that it seems you must take the strengths of the type to extraordinary lengths before they become valued by society (as opposed to just by your friends), whereas most other types have strengths which are esteemed even in a moderate or mediocre form.
    good point.. and actually it annoys me when they say for any type "you should be lucky you're XYZC, look, president was XYZC", i mean, wth ?
    president is president, and I'm me... there are only 16 types, of course there will always be many celebrities, artists, and scientists of your type. It doenst make you special more or less.
    etc.

    the same with INFPs, people try to inflate their self-esteem with "your type usually has great strenghts, look at Ivana Orleanska", but with that INFPs image only gets worse because it turns out being only martyr or some sacred person means being "good INFP"..

Similar Threads

  1. Why does every game want to be like Call of Duty?
    By jixmixfix in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
  2. [INFP] I always wanted to be famous (infp)
    By i need attention in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 09:14 AM
  3. I want to be an ESTJ!!
    By mrcockburn in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 01:53 PM
  4. [ENTJ] ENTJ's: Why don't you want to be my friend??
    By theniteshadow3 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 11:19 PM
  5. Want To Be An Entrepreneur?
    By Wonkavision in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO