User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    But as an INFP, you are incredibly creative and talented with writing and languages. Also, you're the Healer and the Dreamer, as opposed to the Counselor and the Confidant (INFJ). Who wouldn't want to be that?
    Would you?

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I'd say start buying lottery tickets.
    Haha! I'm serious. I'd need examples, but that's entirely different thread.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Would you?
    Yes, definitely. Except that I'm already a few of those...

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

For some reason, I thought you were an INFP back when you were an ISFP. Probably because when a person makes so many drastic type changes, 8 times out of 10 they are INFP. That, and you give me an INFP-ish vibe. I don't know...why do INFPs want to be every type except INFP? Is it part of the "not having a clear sense of self and trying to find oneself" bit that some have going? Sincerely asking because it's an interesting trend that most of the NFs that I think are mistyped seem to be INFP. I think it's a given that one is not going to fit perfectly into a type description, so why?
    I experienced this when I was in college. Been there, done that.

Sometimes it's just someone who isn't happy with who they are, and is surprised at how much they relate to the INFP description. So they go me = bad, me = INFP, therefore INFP = bad. Then, the road to self improvement is as simple as changing their type. By becoming more decisive, they think they are INFJ. By rejecting their personal opinions and becoming cold, they think they are INTP. By overcoming shyness, they must now be ENFP. You get the idea.

I've never wanted to be another type. I like being INFJ. I think it's awesome. Possibly because I am one, and I'm coming from an INFJ perspective.
    I used to have INFJ envy several years back. On the surface, INFP/INFJ share the same insightful nature, yet INFJs tend to be forceful and direct in ways INFPs are not. While we both tend to hate making decisions when it comes to everyday small stuff (where do we go for dinner?), INFJs tend to be really good at making the big life decisions and carrying them through. INFJs tend to have more social grace than your average INFP as well, as they can have fun with the introverted nerdy type and the adventurous bad boy.

Combine all that with the fact that INFJ love threads abound, as ENTPs, ENFPs, INTPs, INFPs, other INFJs, INTJs, ENTJs, ESTPs, ISTPs, and even ISFPs have all proclaimed their desire for an INFJ, and it's not hard to understand why some INFPs would rather be INFJ.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Sometimes I want to be ENTJ, and then I have another discussion with Jaguar and remember I don't.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I must say it's pretty annoying to be told by an Fi dom that I'm incapable of discussing the issues objectively, since apparently being able to pick out the negative traits means I'm totally incapable of seeing any of the positive ones, therefore my opinion is invalid.
    It's fine to only pick out negative traits in an appropriate discussion, but doing so in a thread where the person was trying to type themselves seems out of place. Balanced is called for in that situation.

As you can see, INFPs go into Fi denial, so if people only focus on the negatives of being an INFP when individuals are trying to determine their type, chances are they will pick some other type just to avoid the INFP label.

If you're in a "what do you think about INFPs thread" and you want to rail on about how what you dislike about INFPs, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Sometimes it's just someone who isn't happy with who they are, and is surprised at how much they relate to the INFP description. So they go me = bad, me = INFP, therefore INFP = bad. Then, the road to self improvement is as simple as changing their type. By becoming more decisive, they think they are INFJ. By rejecting their personal opinions and becoming cold, they think they are INTP. By overcoming shyness, they must now be ENFP. You get the idea.
    That's very true. There's also a little bit of an "I'm not neurotic, so I can't be INFP" attitude .
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

I experienced this when I was in college. Been there, done that.

Very interesting, and I believe there's a lot of truth to what you've said. That does seem to be the thinking around a lot of the INFP mistypes.

I used to have INFJ envy several years back. On the surface, INFP/INFJ share the same insightful nature, yet INFJs tend to be forceful and direct in ways INFPs are not. While we both tend to hate making decisions when it comes to everyday small stuff (where do we go for dinner?), INFJs tend to be really good at making the big life decisions and carrying them through. INFJs tend to have more social grace than your average INFP as well, as they can have fun with the introverted nerdy type and the adventurous bad boy.

Combine all that with the fact that INFJ love threads abound, as ENTPs, ENFPs, INTPs, INFPs, other INFJs, INTJs, ENTJs, ESTPs, ISTPs, and even ISFPs have all proclaimed their desire for an INFJ, and it's not hard to understand why some INFPs would rather be INFJ.
    Yes, INFJ and INFP are a lot alike in many ways. I can see what you mean about being forceful and direct, but why would a P want to be more decisive? And doesn't J = judgmental, closed-minded bastard (according to this forum)? I think I would want to be a P, if I wasn't a J and didn't have a problem being one. If you get what I mean.

And now we come to the most crucial reason why people mistype: Typology Central. Everyone seems to be okay with their type until they come here and start seeing that other types get more praise. And I do think that some of the criticism that certain types get is unwarranted and a bit superfluous. Every type has its flaws and we all know what they are, no need to hammer them home over and over. But being INFJ comes with its own set of troubles, many of which are directly related to the aspects of INFJ that others like.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I was also alarmed at the negative INFP stigma, and I've been guilty of maybe wanting to be another type. But I think it's important to become a more rounded INFP and break stereotypes, however difficult that can be. It can be hard to relate to others, I've heard INFP is the shadow of western civ (or ideal american lifestyle), it is inevitable to feel a bit out of place or useless. But I identify that as a bad way to think about being an INFP. You can do anything other types can, just develop parts of you that are your inferior functions, I guess.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Yes, INFJ and INFP are a lot alike in many ways. I can see what you mean about being forceful and direct, but why would a P want to be more decisive? And doesn't J = judgmental, closed-minded bastard (according to this forum)? I think I would want to be a P, if I wasn't a J and didn't have a problem being one. If you get what I mean.
    Many INFPs have received alot of crap because we didn't have direction, were flaky, couldn't make a decision, couldn't stick with our decision, etc. Lots of P types also get similar flak, but INFPs tend to take it harder than most. Plus, you only need to look at this thread to see we still get accused of being judgmental and close-minded, despite our P ways.

Alternatively, INFJs are often viewed as the most P-like of the Js. Those both help explain why INFJ is an acceptable J alternative to INFP.

But being INFJ comes with its own set of troubles, many of which are directly related to the aspects of INFJ that others like.
    Agreed. It's easy to overlook facts like that, though, as it steals some of our emotional thunder. Understanding that we all have negatives can be calming to an INFP that needs permission to not be perfect, though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

And now we come to the most crucial reason why people mistype: Typology Central. Everyone seems to be okay with their type until they come here and start seeing that other types get more praise. And I do think that some of the criticism that certain types get is unwarranted and a bit superfluous. Every type has its flaws and we all know what they are, no need to hammer them home over and over. But being INFJ comes with its own set of troubles, many of which are directly related to the aspects of INFJ that others like.
    We're really only P on the exterior; ultimately, our dominant function is a judging one. I think it's a big (and maybe unpleasant) surprise for people when we do slam the gavel down, because our external self is usually so flexible.

I agree that TypoC distorts perspective, haha. I still like it here though
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe