User Tag List

12 Last

Glycerine

Default Fe and People Information

So I'm not very detail-oriented like SJs tend to be but I have a freaky strong memory for information pertaining to people. It's like each person has his or her own box in the back of my head. I am always looking for consistencies in their behavior relative to what information I have on them and then from there, I piece together a general picture of them. That said, my first impression of a person usually turns out accurate but at the same time, I try to rework any contradictory pieces of information and change my impression of them if need be. I am probably reading way too much into this but is this more of an individual thing, is this FeNi at work, NiFe, or something else? This is more out of curiosity than anything.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    So I'm not very detail-oriented like SJs tend to be but I have a freaky strong memory for information pertaining to people. It's like each person has his or her own box in the back of my head. I am always looking for consistencies in their behavior relative to what information I have on them and then from there, I piece together a general picture of them. That said, my first impression of a person usually turns out accurate but at the same time, I try to rework any contradictory pieces of information and change my impression of them if need be. I am probably reading way too much into this but is this more of an individual thing, is this FeNi at work, NiFe, or something else? This is more out of curiosity than anything.
    I don't know too much about FeNi or NiFe, but I do know that I can relate to ^. I remember EVERYthing a person tells me about themselves. Someone will casually mention something and years later we'll be talking about it and I'll say that something and they'll give me the face coupled with a "How did you know that?"

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

I can also totally relate. Often I'll play down how much I actually remember/know about them because I want to avoid them feeling uncomfortable
    Likes N/A liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I'm the same. A few days ago, I was with an INTP friend, and he pointed out something I never realized about myself: When I am talking to him, even though I am FULLY attentive or talking, I will very quickly and impulsively look away or turn towards people who catch my attention via sight or sound. I only look for a moment, but he was amazed at my awareness of their presence. I am also able to subconsciously observe them without it detracting from my conversation at all.

I think this is a perfect example of dominant Fe and secondary Ni at work.

But you are talking about actually remembering things about people you know. I guess my thoughts are: If Fe's operate anything like that above example with people they AREN'T conversing with, imagine what they are like with those they ARE. I know for me, words stick in my head sometimes almost verbatim. I can recall the exact phrases others have used in my presence for years because they are so impacting on me. I also remember general information or strong emotional moments that individual had.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by WieldingTheSword View Post
    I'm the same. A few days ago, I was with an INTP friend, and he pointed out something I never realized about myself: When I am talking to him, even though I am FULLY attentive or talking, I will very quickly and impulsively look away or turn towards people who catch my attention via sight or sound. I only look for a moment, but he was amazed at my awareness of their presence. I am also able to subconsciously observe them without it detracting from my conversation at all.

I think this is a perfect example of dominant Fe and secondary Ni at work.

But you are talking about actually remembering things about people you know. I guess my thoughts are: If Fe's operate anything like that above example with people they AREN'T conversing with, imagine what they are like with those they ARE. I know for me, words stick in my head sometimes almost verbatim. I can recall the exact phrases others have used in my presence for years because they are so impacting on me. I also remember general information or strong emotional moments that individual had.
    I can relate to all of this. Another example of what you are talking about is that I will note the leacher's behavior, tone, and emotional state while I am actually absorbing the lecture information.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Stutterfly View Post
    I can also totally relate. Often I'll play down how much I actually remember/know about them because I want to avoid them feeling uncomfortable
    I can usually repeat back what someone told me about themselves, years later, using almost the same words even. I'm good with birthdays, license plates, any sort of fact that grounds an individual's place/roots/social group/anything they might identify with. I know their sibling's names, I know almost everything they ever told me about themselves.

They just sticky to my braino.

I don't know if it's Fe so much as Ni focused on individuals.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I can usually repeat back what someone told me about themselves, years later, using almost the same words even. I'm good with birthdays, license plates, any sort of fact that grounds an individual's place/roots/social group/anything they might identify with. I know their sibling's names, I know almost everything they ever told me about themselves.

They just sticky to my braino.

I don't know if it's Fe so much as Ni focused on individuals.
    I could see that. My Ni is kind of on the high side.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

I've read that INFJs tend to have uncanny abilities in the area you're describing. INTJs are the best when it comes to remembering and categorizing facts; INFJs are the best when it comes to remembering and categorizing information about people. It comes so naturally to me that I used to think everyone was like that but since then I've learned it's actually unusual to remember extensive information about peoples' siblings / pets / interests / political views / etc. etc. after just one meeting.... It's like the info gets etched in my brain and I can recall it easily whenever I think about the person. Similarly (I imagine) to other INFJs, I'm a huge people person and really enjoy and care a lot about understanding others and what makes them tick, so that is probably a part of what makes that phenomenon second nature.

Glycerine

I might have to revoke E-ness then. haha I seem to be an ENFJ with INFJ tendencies.

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Hmm... Ni being focused on individuals sounds does like a good explanation. My Ni seems to tower over all my other functions...

I'm not as good with birthdays or number plates, but it's things like you said...

Quote Originally Posted by mwv6r View Post
    extensive information about peoples' siblings / pets / interests / political views / etc. etc.
    that also seem to stay with me, to such an extent that recalling such information is no problem a few months or even a year or two later.

Adding to that list: attitudes/opinions (overt and covert), reactions, plans, demeanor and way of moving, pattern/manner of speech, smell (sometimes!), and how they relate to me (attitude/attention/feelings).

I guess what exactly you remember depends on other functions too. The kind of stuff I seem to remember feels like a mixture collected through Fe, Fi and Se (which should be my inferior function, but I seem to use it slightly more than we're supposed to )
    Likes N/A liked this post