User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Psychic INFJ's?

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Let me try to explain what I am saying about the danger of presumptuous hunches.

Human perception naturally splits into the conscious and unconscious minds. We developed this way for efficiency. Our mind and senses take in far more data than our conscious minds can process. Because of this humans develop internal filtering systems. These systems are based on our world view. We naturally perceive those select details that fit into our conscious system of thought - those details that make sense to us. This is why prejudicial thinking runs so deep. It is artificially validated through our perceptions. For example, if there is an underlying assumption that men in business suits are smart, then the mind will select only those details that reinforce this assumption. When such men say stupid things, these with either be quickly forgotten, or never perceived in the first place. It is uncomfortable to realize this about ourselves, that our perceptions are naturally distorted, but it is measurably and observably true.

So you see, the individual that gets a psychic hunch that person A is a liar and not to be trusted will perceive that person in such a way to reinforce that assumption. The times person A seems honest will not be seen. If the psychic hunch says Person B is competitive and out to get their job, then everything person B says will be twisted into a competitive challenge in the mind of the "psychic". The person with the presumed insight will feel completely validated in both scenarios, resting assured in their deep insight even if it was completely false.

I do invest a lot into perceiving people and have experienced hunches, but have learned the necessity to filter these through reason and to withhold judgment. In a word, it is necessary to take such insight with a grain of salt. A strong impression is the beginning of insight, not the end. Yes there is a reason for such insight, but it may come from within yourself and have nothing to do with the other person at all. I do get vivid flashes in my mind of seeing people in different emotional states than what they are presenting in the moment, but that is primarily a curiosity. For example I know a young woman whose father was very frightening. She is quite aggressive and intense herself, but even when she is self assured there is a certain tremble in her voice. When talking to her i get vivid impressions of the kind of fear she felt as a little girl. What does that mean? Maybe it is insight, maybe it is my imagination, maybe it is projecting something of myself on her. What it means to me is that i am curious to understand her better on her terms, not mine. Insightful people allow others to tell their story, listen and consider these deeply valid, even moreso than their personal hunches.
    Good post. I like your analogy of the filtering mechanism in human perception- (I.E., wanting to see what you want to see). I have noticed however, with your particular type INFJs- tend to be hypersensitive to criticism and jokes intended to be playful and teasing and tend to take very seriously what was often meant in jest. Just sayin'

MBTI
    INFJ

I agree that this is a weird thing to ascribe to a personality type--when I read it I was a little skeptical--but I have had some episodes in my life that I can't explain. About two years ago I would dream of someone I hadn't seen in a while, and suddenly I would hear gossip about that person. The most eerie thing like this was when I thought of somebody that I had known before high school, and had not seen for a few years, and had heard a few months previously that she was pregnant. One day I said to my mom out of the blue, "I wonder if she has had her baby yet?" The next day a friend of a friend called my mom and said that she had given birth the day I randomly remembered her.

MBTI
    infj

I've actually had some weird dream experiences that aren't easily explained rationally. When I'm going through a more laid-back stage in my life, I sometimes dream about happenings that "come true" the next day or day after that. It can be a dream about a phone call conversation or a visit to a place I've never seen before, and then accidentally ending up there in "real life". Sometimes the dream settings just keep coming real situation after another, and it makes me feel really odd. It's like having a continuous déjà vu.

MBTI
    INFJ

''Continuous deja-vu" is exactly what it feels like! Thanks.

MBTI
    Infx

I've had little spurts of interestingly timed things. And yes, "continuous deja vu" is a VERY good way of putting it.

The most memorable one that I can't even explain involved a friend of mine. I had met him once at a con, and hadn't talked to him for months. Eventually, through emails we got to talking again, and planned for him to fly out and visit me. One of the packages he sent me had some rather unflattering, and not really looking-like-him-in-real-life photos (far away, sun in the eyes, etc.). So obviously, I'm trying really hard to remember what the hell he looks like. Well the night before I was supposed to pick him up, I had a dream with him in it, and his face was clear as day and really close. I nearly dropped over dead in the airport when I saw him walking up and that's EXACTLY what he looked like.

Also to hotmale - You're so correct, at least with me, about the hyper sensitivity, even when I know people are just engaging in some friendly teasing! Thankfully, I've gotten over it and learned to laugh at the insecurities the people are poking fun at me for along with them. It took a couple months and also realizing that the person making fun of me was projecting because he has the same problem! I still can slip into a total self-depreciative state if my energy is low, or I'm stressed, though, and get really quiet, or downright mean in return.
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

MBTI
    INFJ

I am strong clairvoyant skills, worldwide visions are only big ones like earthquakes and stuff, other common stuff is common. People I can understand I can easily guess what they are wearing today, who sent me a text, and I can feel energy, don't see spirits though but I can feel them touch me occasionally.

The Mind is in essence our soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Murmur View Post
    I've actually had some weird dream experiences that aren't easily explained rationally. When I'm going through a more laid-back stage in my life, I sometimes dream about happenings that "come true" the next day or day after that. It can be a dream about a phone call conversation or a visit to a place I've never seen before, and then accidentally ending up there in "real life". Sometimes the dream settings just keep coming real situation after another, and it makes me feel really odd. It's like having a continuous dÚjÓ vu.
    These are one of the ones I find cool and mystical, many of the others are an underestimation of how much we influence the future or remember of the past. I'd try to explain it as your mind playing out the possible future, but sometimes they are freaky and quite detailed. In a way you still start the next day looking to verify it and in that sense move the future toward it.

The really clairvoyant ones which I can't explain are where a fact you can have had no influence over and no way of knowing about occurs to you. Like you know a relative has died unexpectedly in a car accident (I'm sceptical about ones where the person is sick or in hospital, so death is a good possibility. And it probably doesn't count if it is terrible weather, they are a hopeless driver, and they are quite late home). I know INFJs can be way closer to clairvoyant than most of us. My mother is INFJ and has some strange feelings about things that will or have happened.

On ENFP clairvoyance or deja vu, I had an amusing experience when travelling. I thought Frankfurt seemed familiar and kept getting deja vu, and I knew I'd only ever been to the airport. It puzzled me for days, then I realised I had slipped through there last trip but had mislabelled the memories as being Heidelberg .
    Freude, sch├Âner G├Âtterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Br├╝der, Wo dein sanfter Fl├╝gel weilt.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Am I the only one who doesn't like associating any sort of clairvoyance or any other 'talents' of this nature with mbti at all? I think it's entirely outside the realm of mbti, and I hate having it tied to INFJ. I think it does a disservice to what Ni, and INFJ, is really about. Sure, an INFJ you know might have these abilities, but it's not because he/she is INFJ.

Anyway, more of my thoughts on this topic were in earlier posts in the thread.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't like associating any sort of clairvoyance or any other 'talents' of this nature with mbti at all? I think it's entirely outside the realm of mbti, and I hate having it tied to INFJ. I think it does a disservice to what Ni, and INFJ, is really about. Sure, an INFJ you know might have these abilities, but it's not because he/she is INFJ.
    Youre not the only one, maybe only because I don't relate strongly to having thise clairvoyant-esque things happening to me. I have minor stories, but I think it's just that INFJs tend to be more sensitive to it than other types. It really doesn't make us all that much better than anyone else.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's in the nature of Ni to see things from multiple perspectives and viewpoints, and to have a good idea of how an event will play out. You're not psychic. You just think you're special.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)