Thread: Psychic INFJ's?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I am either psychic, or you all are predictable, that's what I always say.

So, INFJs might be psychic, or the INFJ will find others predictable.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't care for the suggestions that INFJs are psychic. It can leave us with all the complete internet nutjobs claiming the type. While I do invest a lot of energy understanding people, analyzing behavior, remembering many details about their feelings and internal worlds, I have found that the more quickly I assume to have insight, the more flawed that insight tends to be. I find my most meaningful insight about others comes from a deep sense of humility, constant questioning and reanalyzing, respect for the enormous complexity of each person's inner world, and a clear sense of my limitations.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I find my most meaningful insight about others comes from a deep sense of humility, constant questioning and reanalyzing, respect for the enormous complexity of each person's inner world, and a clear sense of my limitations.
    While most INFJs have no sense of humility, never second guess their analysis, disrespect people's inner worlds and have no sense of their limitations?

It's exactly the attributes you describe that make them appear psychic to others. But yes, I agree with you. They aren't. Just excellent at understanding how people tick and seeing how a person's patterns might make them likely to go down a certain path. And no, I don't believe most INFJs see themselves as psychic, just able to see what should be obvious to anyone who cares to look behind the veil.

And yes, psychic is a terrible name for this ability.

Awake, sensitive, aware or intuitive is better.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Psychic? Nah! I don't think so... Ni Fe is just really adapt at picking up patterns based on subtle cues when they involve people and situations. Because most of the time we can't explain why we know things, people just associate it with psychic abilities. It's just an unconsciously learnt skill in my opinion. Also there are times when stuff I "know" are nothing more than an overly active imagination. It's just that people never recall those things. Nothing more than leveling and sharpening in people's memories.

Although I would really like to know exactly what cues I was using when guessing at the weather...

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    While most INFJs have no sense of humility, never second guess their analysis, disrespect people's inner worlds and have no sense of their limitations?
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I think they would since they are genuinely interested in these things.

Some people (not necessarily all) claiming to be psychic on the other hand....

I don't see these two categories as equivalent. I see psychics as tending towards presumption about insight into other people, and INFJs as tending towards interest in analyzing people.

edit: at any rate this can be a very old, worn topic thanks to the Kiersey site. It causes so many hassles and misunderstandings that I weary of the whole implication of it.
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTj

In all seriousness, my mom thinks she's psychic and she's an ENFJ with a weak E.

. . . for whatever that's worth.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFP

I'm not sure what you mean, but I think they would since they are genuinely interested in these things.

Some people (not necessarily all) claiming to be psychic on the other hand....

I don't see these two categories as equivalent. I see psychics as tending towards presumption about insight into other people, and INFJs as tending towards interest in analyzing people.

edit: at any rate this can be a very old, worn topic thanks to the Kiersey site. It causes so many hassles and misunderstandings that I weary of the whole implication of it.
    Sorry, I edited the heck out of that post right after posting. I agree 100% with you. My post was only an attempt to point out that exactly because you and other INFJs tick the way you do, you'd be one of the first to reject the label "psychic". It's others who see you as psychic, much like a caveman would call a glowing light bulb magic.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The way the tests are designed, anyone who thinks they are psychic are likely to come out NF of some sort - possibly more often INFJ. So it only measures how people see themselves, not how they actually are. If a tests asks someone whether they have insight into others without any proof of it, it doesn't tell you much. I have met so many 'intuitive', 'psychic' people who were just flagrantly prejudiced with severely distorted perceptions that made the world continually look the way they predicted it to be. That can mean that not only did the person not have insight ahead of time, but they were blind in the moment as well. Double-blindness does not equal insight.
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP

Double-blindness does not equal insight.
    Except in science: :p
    Double-blind definition - Medical Dictionary definitions of popular medical terms easily defined on MedTerms

But yes, I know what you mean.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    In all seriousness, my mom thinks she's psychic and she's an ENFJ with a weak E.

. . . for whatever that's worth.
    So that's why I wasn't able to impress or surprise her when I... (ok, you get the joke and someone had to do it)