• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Male INFPs and Women

feckn_eejit

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
oooo i could write a tome on this but need to start getting ready for a gig tonight!

cliff notes:
-can't do anything about my genetic programming, it is what it is...
-don't find it satisfying to be, for lack of a better word, "crass" when talking with men about women
-looks part of the equation but general vibe/aura/feeling i get from someone is what i find beautiful and amazing and attractive
-any sort of optional physical "enhancement" an instant disqualifier... anyone can be/feel beautiful in their natural shape, i think
-love the sensations of sex/being with someone but it is way more about the spiritual/emotional connect and transferring/sharing of energy
-can see value in "casual" sex, but more about random exchanges of chemistry/energy rather than "getting a piece"
-not very good at casual flirtation... but can see the value in order to get to deeper stuff

feckn_eejit

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
thanks, i will! almost impossible not to really! yet still i've been procrastinating for an hour already!
cheers

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
When I really focus and concentrate on my confidence, I come across as a ENFJ, but keeping it takes practice. Since INFP's are usually outcasts, we dont get much experience on intereacting, so no confidence. Just learn to be a little shallow and realize that most of it is a game to get comfortable with someone before getting serious. We dont have to be serious and mature all the time, we can also relax and show some of who we are.

dcmicrowave

MBTI Type
INFP
Do any other male INFPs find that their E or S friends are much more outspoken about women?

For instance, if a group of construction workers start whistling and howling at an attractive woman like a pack of animals, I tend to think they are shallow. Even in real life, I feel that many of my friends just go crazy for good looking women, but they don't think beyond that.

I believe that beauty is skin deep. I'm not trying to be preachy, I just can't understand why other people have to be so outspoken about physical beauty.

Can anyone relate to this? :D

don't take any of this very seriously. it is still early for me and i am bad at organizing these types of thoughts on forums (am i even really putting this in the right place?) without spending hours on each post. because of this, until yesterday, i've been a life-long lurker in almost all aspects of my life. i like to watch and see what happens. most people say what i wanna say, anyway. but i'd like to get better. help me out by not being too critical. i'm trying to do this quickly and without thinking too, too much.

i am always meeting women (and men, really) who think that they understand me and then devalue me based on that understanding. they are often very wrong about me, but i think i understand why. i think that everything i write here will support your point about INFP men kind of being just normal guys who *think* that they aren't normal guys... haha, but, perhaps i will say something in defense that actually has substance. we'll see.

in my experience, INFP boys relate more easily to softer, more feminine personalities and are often themselves more feminine than most men (conflict avoidance). and--- and this is important--- some women! this more feminine sensibility is contrasted by an emotional intensity that begs for solitude because of our distaste for conflict. the problem is usually that we want to say something objectively while still maintaining personal closeness. most people can't digest these experiences, and so we try not to ask for it after awhile. we often speak of paradox that destroys others' sense of our internal consistency. since we are always relatively fluid on the inside, we wish-wash around sometimes, doing what is most pleasing to those that we wish to please. even if it isn't "us" or what we'd do if we were alone. it's easy to spot an INFP. they have no clue who they are. and they think this is awesome.

anyway, i think about this nice boy topic a lot, myself. i *am* very different from those construction worker types. anyone can see that almost instantly. but am i different from your average boy? go watch adventureland. the geek boy character is so cute. everyone loves that shit now. everyone loves boys that cry. emo and all that. it is aggravating since i *am* the boy who *actually* relates to women more easily than men. i am the boy baking brownies and cuddling with my 24 year old security blanket. even typing these things now --- you can feel the cliche just burning right through it. but is that *my* fault? not really. the media has done what women have been asking them to do forever. turned all guys into whiny puddles of tears and semen. but not truly. they are just channeling the george michael 'arrested development' character.

the thing about INFP men seeming like ordinary guys, is that the real nice guy thing isn't what lots of these women/people want. they're afraid of real feelings and real reasons for being certain ways.the real difference between INFP boys and other boys is that most of us came up with the more feminine habits on our own . we weren't even fucking paying attention to other kids while growing up. personally, my fem influence comes from my sister. i grew up with a sister two years younger than i, and we played barbies til i was at least 16. we played games where our dad's collectible 12" GI Joe dolls killed Ken, commandeered his brothel, scalped him, and then Grunt wiped his butt with Ken's "life-like" hair. we had pretty sweet imaginations... but the thing that we were really doing while playing like that was that we were mocking the stoic GI JOE type male. our parents were very openly loving to one another. not disgusting. but we had decent examples of parental and familial love. my dad called me "cupcake" as a kid. often. i've always had a strong dislike for sports, machoism, and other male lies.

here's an example of why people don't actually like nice guys even when they think they do: it's like --- it's like finding out that they buddy you've been playing evening HALO tournaments with is actually a video game addict, and that he hasn't logged off for 42 hours straight. you might like HALO every once in awhile, but you aren't gonna wanna be around that guy too much. he's too intense. and he might turn you into his next sofa cushion. so, *some* INFPs (being generally talented (and eager to please) chameleons) start "replacing" their real values in order to adopt "new", less intense, more effective ways of getting what they need from women/people. often we feel bad about this in the earlier stages of social development. but, yeah. gotta do what works. or not. so, i think that you will find at least two distinctly opposite, yet paradoxically congruent kinds of INFPs. it's really all about the principles. don't confuse those with ethics or morals. there is a vast difference.

for an example of someone who is highly intuitive and sensitive, but chooses to use this to manipulate for personal gain, i think that the heath ledger joker is an extreme, disgruntled, and decisively non-humanist INFP. again, this is only my opinion. i have more details on why i think this, if you are interested. if INFP boys never get any, they are at risk of becoming ruthlessly flexible manipulators. haha. i think i just said that INFPs are creepy serial killer types waiting to happen... haha!

it boils down to this: competition is for pigs. boy pigs. girl pigs. pig pigs. schwhatever.

~d

dcmicrowave

MBTI Type
INFP
I avoid verbalizing how I feel when I see pretties; as a result I have yet to be arrested for harassment. If I verbalized maybe 10% of what I thought I'd probably be in jail by now. I am, however, tempted to start saying more of these things to a girlfriend when they pertain to her. Nothing extreme, but start at about 1% and raise the dial as comfort allows. Maybe I'll manage to keep one longer than a month with that...

read my super long post. it is somewhere. um. yeah. i agree. most girls can't handle the real deal, so you dish 'em something "palatable" and they often complain that we are just like all the other jerks. it's more than difficult to actually *have* what people want, only to find that they just aren't ready for it. it seems to be about finding the right type of person in the right stage of self-awareness. so... for INFPs, it seems to be about the reps. gotta shuffle through as many people as you can just to possibly see a glimpse of the next plausible candidate. makes me feel like i have no ability whatsoever to actually read people.

dcmicrowave

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, as an INFP, I'd say that physical attractiveness is probably the first thing that draws me to a girl. Maybe that makes me shallow... that's fine. I want her to more than just physically attractive for anything serious to happen, though. But yeah... I'd expect to be at least physically attracted to a girl that I wanted to get to know more seriously.

there is more than just *something* to be said about how a person's physical appearance shapes their personality, as well.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
As for the "whistling at women at a construction site" thing, I find it repulsive. It lessens my respect for anyone doing it, and it embarasses me. I feel like walking up to the woman and apologizing for the brutes. I'm dead serious. If most INFP men are like other men, then I'm not like most INFP men, I guess.

I find I'm reallly hot/cold with women. Looks aren't all that much of a deal cincher, although once a true relationship is established they can be a great boon. If we connect on an emotional level, it's like all this bottled up affection comes pouring out immediately. It's so different than what I'm usually used to. You might think me an entirely different person in a relationship (but then, who isn't?).

will5250

MBTI Type
INFP
Se is a shadow function for INFP. To be honest, I am about as likely to notice the feel of a woman's vibe first, as I am to notice her appearance first. I observe the world about as much kinesthetically as visually. Granted it feels good to look at a woman, but I still contend that a woman's eyes are her sexiest body part. I am much more interested in what is inside a woman than her appearance.

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
As for the "whistling at women at a construction site" thing, I find it repulsive. It lessens my respect for anyone doing it, and it embarasses me. I feel like walking up to the woman and apologizing for the brutes. I'm dead serious. If most INFP men are like other men, then I'm not like most INFP men, I guess.

If I passed a construction site full of men, and I didn't get a wolf whistle or two, I would IMMEDIATELY turn my butt around, go home, and fix my hair and makeup. Obviously I made poor fashion choices that morning, and they need to be remedied. It's an environment-response thing.

:static:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I passed a construction site full of men, and I didn't get a wolf whistle or two, I would IMMEDIATELY turn my butt around, go home, and fix my hair and makeup. Obviously I made poor fashion choices that morning, and they need to be remedied. It's an environment-response thing.

:static:

Hmmm... Looks like I'd piss you off. :D

Gothmawg

MBTI Type
INFP
read my super long post. it is somewhere. um. yeah. i agree. most girls can't handle the real deal, so you dish 'em something "palatable" and they often complain that we are just like all the other jerks. it's more than difficult to actually *have* what people want, only to find that they just aren't ready for it. it seems to be about finding the right type of person in the right stage of self-awareness. so... for INFPs, it seems to be about the reps. gotta shuffle through as many people as you can just to possibly see a glimpse of the next plausible candidate. makes me feel like i have no ability whatsoever to actually read people.

Just adding that I agree with this. The girl who I probably connected with the best/easiest/most almost 20 years ago...We'd had a discussion that she felt I was 'not always there' and 'occasionally distant'. I told her honestly that if I showed her the emotions I was feeling that she'd run away screaming...She disagreed. She ran away screaming...

BlueinGreen

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think that ideally speaking, sure we'd all notice a woman's personality before her looks and that would mean everything. And maybe we all wish we were that way, but I don't think that's quite the way it pans out in reality. I mean, if you're not at least physically attracted to a woman upon meeting her, how likely do you think it is that a conversation would lead you to romantically pursue her because of her "inner beauty?" Don't get me wrong, I think that sometimes that can eventually become the case, but by that point you've probably become at least somewhat physically attracted to her as well; a person's looks can become endearing under the right social circumstances. By the same token, I don't think any of us would ever want to be in a committed relationship with airhead who happened to be a knockout; without a mental and emotional connection it's all pretty hollow (not to mention irritating).

I don't think there is anything wrong with appreciating the female form, and I don't think that it inherently makes you shallow. The stereotypical "whistling construction worker scenario" isn't even necessarily all that misogynistic depending on their attitude and what it is they say; how do you know what their values are? When you regard a beautiful woman as an object for your pleasure instead of a thinking, feeling human being, that's when you become shallow. But anyone who claims they don't pay attention to looks PERIOD is deceiving himself. That's just not realistic, and making claims like that puts you well on your way to "nice guy syndrome."

Now, I realize that's not quite the point most people in this thread are making, and I agree with general sentiment of not talking about women in terms of how they can gratify us. It's just that in doing that you have to be careful not to put yourself on a pedestal.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know why INFP males have it 'tough'? Because we have to be more developed to have success with women compared to most other types.

For example, unhealthy ESTPs are usually very successful with women. They don't need to be very developed or balanced, and in fact an unhealthy ESTP can sometimes be more attractive than a healthy one. (More wild, dangerous, unpredictable, volatile, and in need for some to 'save' them.) Unhealthy INFP males tend to be too passive, withdrawn, and bitter to mimic the ESTP success formula.

Although I don't see healthy, mature, and confident INFPs having much trouble with women. So instead of being upset at a million things male INFPs can't control, why not change the one thing they can control: Themselves.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
You know why INFP males have it 'tough'? Because we have to be more developed to have success with women compared to most other types.

For example, unhealthy ESTPs are usually very successful with women. They don't need to be very developed or balanced, and in fact an unhealthy ESTP can sometimes be more attractive than a healthy one. (More wild, dangerous, unpredictable, volatile, and in need for some to 'save' them.) Unhealthy INFP males tend to be too passive, withdrawn, and bitter to mimic the ESTP success formula.

Although I don't see healthy, mature, and confident INFPs having much trouble with women. So instead of being upset at a million things male INFPs can't control, why not change the one thing they can control: Themselves.

:yes:

And the InTArW3b is the perfect place to brush up on your mental, verbal game.

Unless you're an Emo little puss....

Talk to a woman? AUUUGH!!! She should know how cool I am just by looking at me...

:emot-emo:

Sad Lounge

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
?
Personally, I didn't know that Male INFPs existed. They're so rare and most of them are women.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm a woman, well, when the surgery is complete I will be. I just feel like I was born in the wrong body.

male INFPs are a lie! the government is putting stuff into the air!