User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Default Try not to make fun...

For as long as I remember, I've resounded very strongly with the emotions of others. As I've gotten older and had more experience with people, I've learned to avoid certain types of people and to protect myself from picking up on their negative emotion.

So, recently, with my own children, my spouse, a few friends and with birth clients, I've noticed that when they're obviously upset about something, if I touch them (intentionally and instinctively) on the back or on the head, I'm instantly filled with tension/loneliness/fear/anger/worry, minus all the thoughts that usually accompany that emotional sensation. It's like pure emotion, and it's almost instant. Lately, I've found myself doing it purposefully with my two youngest children, and I notice that they go from very distraught to very relaxed more quickly. It helps me to let go of the emotion if I visualize letting it go back to God/the air/whatever.

Am I just a nutcase? Is there a precedent for this kind of sensation? What am I doing?? I'm very curious, and afraid, really, to talk to anyone IRL about it, least I be laughed out of the room.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7

The closest thing I've heard to that is when my mum talks aout her empathy, about being able to sense just by touching sometimes.

Close physical contact is rather underrated in these modern times I'd say, too. They say a child should be hugged and told they're loved several times a day - just three small words and a hug, and when one's upset sometimes just that small closeness can aleviate a lot of misery.

I've hit some low points, and at it's worst it was just a friend putting their arm around me and letting me lean against them that brought me back, you'd think it strange how something so simple could do a world of good, but it did . I think it was also the aspect of control, of calm assertion - instinctively taking the lead - they had, a sort of...maternal, paternal strength, and warm, stready, protective vibe I'd never gotten before, and haven't since. Think an INTJ, out of the blue, pulling you close and vibing all warm, when you need it most.

Whatever it is you're doing, it seems to be good, if it slips away, worry not, it was a gift, and one you needn't feel guilty or useless for loosing.
    Come along Fool
    A direct hit of the senses you are disconnected
    It's not that it's bad, it's not that it's death
    It's just on the tip of your tongue, and you're so silent

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I think there's something very powerful about touch. When someone is under stress, having someone to share that emotion with, even silently through touch, allows them to relax and alleviates the burden of it. That's part of what makes a shoulder or a foot rub such a wonderful thing. It is not just the physical relief that people crave, but the feeling that someone else is lifting a heavy load from them. while our muscles to react to stress by tensing up, I think it's really the emotion that's the root of the problem rather than the tight muscles. Therefore if you can help lift some of the weight of that emotion, many of the symptoms surrounding it also can go away.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

maybe you have a strong sense of empathy paired with a natural inclination toward touch healing..we all feel at ease , i think, when we are in distress and then we get some kind of consoling physical touch, but it does seem to me that some people seem to have a sort of magic touch that soothes and calms others more than when others do the same thing...

so long as you can handle its effects on you, i'd say this is a really wonderful gift for a person to have, especially as a parent, whatever it is.

and i don't think you're a nutcase for posting about this (not sure if that really is any consolation though; i'm not always seen as the most firmly rooted in reality myself )

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Thanks for your replies! I'll be back tomorrow to reply more in-depth, but for now, everyone here is sleeping, and that means time for me to sleep, too.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

The right touch is curative, and touch is necessary for human survival.
    I absorb people's emotions in the same way that you described.
    When my son used to have tantrums, I'd run my fingers from his head down to his feet and tell him that all the "angries' were leaving him through his toes. It always worked.
    I also remember when I was sick, if my mother rubbed my back or stroked my hair, I would often catch the cure.
    Touch is strongly related to the infant bonding experience, and I imagine that people who are highly empathetic can use it best, and also respond to it best.
    You're def not a nutcase!
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INFP

Hey. It's so nice to see this somewhere. Someone else with an experience similar to mine. Wow. It has never occurred to me to touch someone who is feeling depressed; just being in their presence is overwhelming enough. However I have observed that I do feel people's emotions much more intensely when I approach them from the back, or after they have walked past me, than what I feel when I approach them from the front, or before they have walked passed.

So you're afraid folks might think you're a nut if you discuss things like this openly. Join the club kiddo. But what a neat idea; touch them so that you disperse the intensity of their emotions. That would certainly do a lot to avoid fraying my nerves at the same time. Of course there is the practical side. It's not exactly copacetic to go around touching total strangers on the back of their head, but it's something I can add to my hugs. But for total strangers I may need to settle for a less direct approach, like prayer and sending telepathic hugs; and you were afraid folks would think you were crazy.
    Last edited by will5250; 09-28-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: adding detail

MBTI
    INFP

I have a couple of curious questions for you. Do you feel when someone, particularly when someone who is also empathic reads your posts? Also, do you find yourself feeling great love swell up inside you for the person when you feel their vibe? I have had several people tell me they experience feeling other people read their posts, but the latter attribute, from my observations, appears to be intensely rare.

MBTI
    ENTp

please carry on posting here! its nice to read this! i can identify myself with this to an extent.

my idea is to get a light vibration going in the third eye and become aware of the spine from base to top and into the third eye. then with concentration i run my hands from head to toe of anyone sick in the family. the body of the person itself guides where the hands should go. i keep atleast one foot planted on the ground and imagine collecting the ill energy and transmitting it to the ground.

this works probably i see more vitality in a person after this throughout the day than without it. i hope its not imagination.

simple grounding of the body it seems. + cleansing of the aura
    Type 8 sx/sp/so
    O:C:E:A:N :: 65:69:59:57:9

MBTI
    ENFP

sounds like your pretty empathetic could mean you have a very high emotional IQ if its actually authentic emotion they're experiencing.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.derekrhode.com/MiscHosting/Pics/151645.png[/SIGPIC]