User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default NF intuition about other people - or Spidey Sense, if you will.

Just yesterday I had this nagging feeling that I was going to see a girl I'm not fond of at a gathering. Not that she usually joins but yeah, when I reached, she was there.

Also, the reason why I don't really like her is my intuition tells me she isn't as heartbroken about her breakup as she is going on about. (she can tell everyone while being dry-eyed and completely normal looking, just how DEPRESSED she is over the whole thing... including things like how she didn't eat for a week and kept purging after the breakup... which I don't buy. Ahem. By the way, she tells EVERYONE. Not just close friends. I find this really weird.) Knowing her ex boyfriend as well, I don't feel he's the monster she is making him out to be. (it really is dramatic, she had her friends scolding him over Facebook and as far as I see, he hasn't really responded.)

All this behaviour has left me a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to her and I try to avoid her as much as I can. It sounds weird and judgemental, I know, but I can't shake off a bad feeling about the whole thing. I kind of felt that it was more an attention seeking ploy to make EVERYONE feel sorry for her, which I felt was unnecessary. I mean, I felt sorry for her too, until it got blown up to mega proportions with her very tall tales.

But the funny thing is, before all this had ever happened, somehow my intuition told me that she was the attention seeking type and I didn't really like her. Mind you, it wasn't an active dislike. I just knew that I wouldn't want to get too close.

So long story short, how much do you NFs out there rely on your intuition? Do you feel that you can accurately "read" people and predict future behaviour? There are times when I didn't trust my gut feeling and I regretted it, but I try to keep an open mind.
    I am an ENFP but I value justice over mercy.

MBTI
    INFP

Nothing as obvious as this, but I seem to do well when I go with that gut feeling about people. So far it hasn't let me down. It's being put to the test over the next few months.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

haha OP I've had the prediction of meeting someone I don't want to meet in public thing plenty of times. I think it's because I think of many options of what could happen if I do 'x'.

"If I go to the grocery store today I could run into 'x'. I haven't seen her in forever...what will I say to her if I see her? etc. etc."

I'll plan out things that have a small % chance of happening. Something no rational person would try and predict. If the upcoming event comes with any anxiety, you can bet I'll be trying to strategically predict any situational possibilities that may arise. I wonder if other people in general do this, not just NFs.

eh, I don't do this all the time, btw.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

I definitely trust my intuition.

There are many situations in which important concrete information is not available, and intuition can be used to determine the best course of action.

Intuition perceives patterns which are not immediately apparent to the senses.

Intuition alone would not be reliable, but when combined with some kind of rational cognitive process, it can turn perceived patterns into logical probabilities.

Of course probabilities are not certainties, but they are extremely useful for making decisions.

This is particularly true in certain areas of science, and the psychological and interpersonal realms, where there are a lot of unknowns and intangible factors involved, and, therefore, a strong demand for intuition.

On this basis, I think those with intuition as their dominant function would benefit from developing their secondary function.

And those with intuition as their secondary function would benefit from developing their dominant function.

This would provide the necessary balance to make intuitive perceptions useful, and to make Intuitives effective in acheiving their goals.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I do rely a lot on gut feelings. Anytime I've ignored them, I wished I hadn't. I believe that we unconsciously pick up signals of eye contact, posture, facial expressions etc that contribute to the overall picture to give us that feeling. Often we don't trust it because we couldn't explain it to someone else, but I think those signals are always there. Those feelings contribute towards keeping us safe, making good decisions, deciding who to be friends with and so on.

Having said that, I've also found that often when I don't hitch with someone or find them abbrasive at first, it often is their way of expressing insecurities that they have. Usually all that is lacking is enough information to make sense of their behaviour. The good thing about that is that when you understand that bad behaviour is a result of their insecurity 1) It protects you from being duped or inappropriately sucked into drama such as you described 2) It allows you to see them in kindly terms rather than get your back up 3) You can decide how much involvement with them is wise or appropriate. 4) You are free to try to soothe those insecurities rather than add to them. 5) You don't take what they may say against you to heart in the same way that you might have otherwise. It takes away their power to hurt you and allows you to detach a little.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I might prepare for negative outcomes based on what my gut feeling tells me, but I would never behave differently regarding someone based on preconceived ideas.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I'd argue though that gut feelings are different than snap judgements. I used to do a lot of busking (playing violin on the street as a summer job) and met all kinds of people every day. I became acquaintance friends with many people whose outward appearance some might make judgements about, it isn't a matter of their appearance. However, every now and then, I ran into someone that just gave me an uneasy feeling for no apparent reason. At first I thought I was being judgemental, but soon realized that those feelings are there for a reason. One person, I later discovered, was a (schitzophrenic) numerologist who was posting information on the internet about young women whose information he had obtained for a "reading" and then including lewd comments and fantasies about them. I really do think that these feelings are based on real information that we take in without consciously realizing it (you know those police shows on microexpressions?) and it is dangerous to ignore it.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Intuitive Leaps. The subconscious gathers and collates information, makes a decision, then lets the conscious mind know through particular sensations.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Intuitive Leaps. The subconscious gathers and collates information, makes a decision, then lets the conscious mind know through particular sensations.
    Yep, and just like the conscious mind, the subconscious can be pretty bad at decision making. The main issue I have with "trust your gut feelings" kind of advice. At least with conscious reasoning you can sometimes see, and get feedback on, the logic (or lack thereof) of your decisions.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Yep, and just like the conscious mind, the subconscious can be pretty bad at decision making. The main issue I have with "trust your gut feelings" kind of advice.

Only if you don't learn from previous mistakes.

I always follow up with conscious information gathering before making a permanent decision.

Though I am seldom wrong anymore.