User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY

I've really started to trust my intuition when it comes to other people in the last few years, especially after going through a huge fiasco with a man that my mom dated some years ago. I can pick his type of person out of a large group easy. True, the experience has tested my trust of people, but I feel more aware when it comes to judging someone's character. You get a bad feeling about the person. You can't put your finger on why exactly, but you can tell. My intuition in this area has oftentimes, unfortunately, been right.
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I met someone a few weeks ago and it struck me that he had a very nice, easy way with women, and then it came to me "Ah! Married twice." Just like that. So I asked him. Yup, married twice. It's just a little thing, but I got it out of the blue and it was correct.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

I think intuition can be very misleading, at least as far as I'm concerned.
    About five years ago, I was working at a home for young males between the age of 17 and 25 (instead of doing military service, which is still compulsory in Germany). Most of these guys were homeless, for a lot of reasons, others were brought there by their parents. Since I've grown up in a rural area and my family has always supported me, I've never really had any closer contact with that kind of people (I don't want it to sound prejudiced, but I think you know what I mean - it was me who applied for the job there).
    Most of them were really nice, and I got along with them very well. But one guy really screwed me. From the first day he showed up there, he was really popular with everybody (among the carers and residents alike) and we really liked to help him because he was such a nice guy. He was really talented at influencing people to get what he wanted. I don't know if anyone has ever known such a person, but as I said, it now seems uncanny in retrospect.
    I had to work on Christmas Eve, and as I left he accompanied me to the station, he asked me if I could give him some money because he wanted to visit his sister in Belgium. Since I thought it was a nice gesture of his, I'd received a Christmas bonus and also because I was in a bit of a hurry, I gave him the money.
    When I came back after Christmas, he pulled me to the side when he saw me and asked me if I could lend him some more. He promised me that I would get it back, and with a profit, and I grew a little suspicious and asked him why he needed it (and I wasn't so sure anymore whether he made up that whole story with his sister). At first he told me that it was none of my business (yeah right, my money :rolli, but then he told me that it had to do with smuggling drugs. I didn't give him the money and didn't tell anyone about it - not because I'm some sort of moralist, but simply because I didn't want to get involved. After that, things started to go downhill. The nice guy turned into some of the worst jerks in the entire home, started to put up fights with other residents, shouted at the people working there, failed to show up at appointments, and once even threatened me physically. I got some lukewarm apology from him and considered for a while if it wasn't better if I left. Everyone just wanted to get rid of him, but being the sneaky fella he was, he didn't make it easy. He left eventually, so I decided to stay. And if I never have to see him again, the money he promised to give me back but never did is well spent.
    I wouldn't say that I've become any more suspicious since then, but at least it's a shining example of how first impressions can be horribly misleading.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

intuition is misleading. I don't see it as a spidey sense as much as an uncontainable resource for thinking up possibilities. And honestly if you use it too much like I do it can be a bitch, makes you second guess yourself and worry because you can't take things at face value and take action because you're unsure if your imagined scenarios hold any truth.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Yesterday I was driving home and something said "That cop is sitting there, slow down!" and guess what. That cop was sitting there.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    intuition is misleading. I don't see it as a spidey sense as much as an uncontainable resource for thinking up possibilities.
    I agree. I'm far too sceptical to give it much credit, and it takes me years until I can say that I really "know" someone, and then only reluctantly, apart from the question whether I can know myself at all.
    Intuition can sometimes be a euphemism for prejudice.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    intuition is misleading. I don't see it as a spidey sense as much as an uncontainable resource for thinking up possibilities. And honestly if you use it too much like I do it can be a bitch, makes you second guess yourself and worry because you can't take things at face value and take action because you're unsure if your imagined scenarios hold any truth.
    An interesting perspective, Adoamros. I don't see intuition as thinking up a number of possibilities as much as offering up a possibility, a very specific one. I guess I would say, 'what does my initial intution tell me?" and go from there. So, it's not so much imagined scenarios for me--that's different from intuition, is my thought. If you invoke your imagination (which I do as well, consciously imagine certain scenerios), then that's different than intuition, which is a direct hit to your mind and spirit without any other filters.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    I agree. I'm far too sceptical to give it much credit, and it takes me years until I can say that I really "know" someone, and then only reluctantly, apart from the question whether I can know myself at all.
    Intuition can sometimes be a euphemism for prejudice.
    Yeah thats the source of my conflicting feelings about intuition. However, sometimes it really happens to be accurate.

I try to give people chances as well. But its really,really hard to control my reactions towards a person normally if you plain don't trust them.
    I am an ENFP but I value justice over mercy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

i have a spidey sense