• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF intuition about other people - or Spidey Sense, if you will.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Intuition to me is basically picking up small seemingly unrelated pieces and putting together a big picture. Sorta like bringing 2 and 2 together to make 5.
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lstDdzedgcE"]2+2=5[/YOUTUBE]

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
My sense about people isn't nearly as reliable as what other NFs talk about. I grew up with an INTP friend, so logic came first before intuition about people. I've been paying more attention to Fe, though, so I think the next couple years will have a lot of function growth.

When my intuition hits, its usually when I just glance at a person, because if I look to hard my Ni or Se kicks in before I get anything from Fe. Some days I get more of these 'snippets' than others.

dani_elle

MBTI Type
ENFP
Why would I ignore my intuition? If you have it, it's a gift to be used, not something to talk yourself out of...

I ignored it on several occasions because I was telling myself : Don't jump to conclusions, don't be so quick to judge others... that sort of deal.

Plus: I think the optimistic me likes to be proven wrong when I get nasty vibes.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
So long story short, how much do you NFs out there rely on your intuition? Do you feel that you can accurately "read" people and predict future behaviour? There are times when I didn't trust my gut feeling and I regretted it, but I try to keep an open mind.

I rely very much on my intuition. I usually know which type of girls to stay away from and not try to be overly friendly with. With boys, I have more of a weakness. I am more open minded and willing to tell my intuition to ssssh and just enjoy it. :wubbie: Sometimes, I take a chance though, if I really like the other person even if s/he is sorta shady in motives/character. Everyone I have ever allowed close to me are good people, though, overall. I highly recommend NFs to trust their intuition, it's like the gift of a sixth sense.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
So long story short, how much do you NFs out there rely on your intuition? Do you feel that you can accurately "read" people and predict future behaviour? There are times when I didn't trust my gut feeling and I regretted it, but I try to keep an open mind.

I trust my intuition, but I don't necessarily rely on it. I'd prefer to first dig for answers to assuming I already have them. I can usually read people and their intentions accurately, but I still prefer to have solid proof that I'm correct.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I'm good at picking out what people I'll probably have fun with. I made all my current friends in college by approaching two people at different times in the cafeteria, asking to sit with them, and having my intuition proved correct when I discovered how awesome they were. That led to meeting their friends, which led to two groups merging into one awesome group of awesome. :D

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
Ignoring my intuitions usually turned out to be a mistake.

So true for me as well. I also rely on my intuition, almost exclusively. I have learned to verify intuition, if I can, but you can't always do this, at least not right away. But I've found my intuition to be correct, almost all the time.

When I enter a room, I get a sense of what people are feeling almost immediately. Recently, I intuited that a man I instantly liked I could trust to a fault and that he would always be on my side (and do me no harm). It's turned out to be very much the truth, time and again. I value intuition so much more than words, because the spoken word is like a filler to me. It's what's underneath the words that I listen to. But, if the words have a soul-truthfullness, then intuition and reality are aligned. I too have learned to cross-check intuition with questions and to listen to the answers to make sure I'm hearing the same thing as I'm feeling.

Curious1

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
I agree with Lauren and Tantive, same for me. It's pretty awesome we have this built in system isn't it? lol I'm just getting used to mine and becoming comfortable with it and not being "freaked out" by it. I like the way you put it, words are surface - we are searching and scanning what's under that. I love it :eek:)

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've really started to trust my intuition when it comes to other people in the last few years, especially after going through a huge fiasco with a man that my mom dated some years ago. I can pick his type of person out of a large group easy. True, the experience has tested my trust of people, but I feel more aware when it comes to judging someone's character. You get a bad feeling about the person. You can't put your finger on why exactly, but you can tell. My intuition in this area has oftentimes, unfortunately, been right.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I met someone a few weeks ago and it struck me that he had a very nice, easy way with women, and then it came to me "Ah! Married twice." Just like that. So I asked him. Yup, married twice. It's just a little thing, but I got it out of the blue and it was correct.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think intuition can be very misleading, at least as far as I'm concerned.
About five years ago, I was working at a home for young males between the age of 17 and 25 (instead of doing military service, which is still compulsory in Germany). Most of these guys were homeless, for a lot of reasons, others were brought there by their parents. Since I've grown up in a rural area and my family has always supported me, I've never really had any closer contact with that kind of people (I don't want it to sound prejudiced, but I think you know what I mean - it was me who applied for the job there).
Most of them were really nice, and I got along with them very well. But one guy really screwed me. From the first day he showed up there, he was really popular with everybody (among the carers and residents alike) and we really liked to help him because he was such a nice guy. He was really talented at influencing people to get what he wanted. I don't know if anyone has ever known such a person, but as I said, it now seems uncanny in retrospect.
I had to work on Christmas Eve, and as I left he accompanied me to the station, he asked me if I could give him some money because he wanted to visit his sister in Belgium. Since I thought it was a nice gesture of his, I'd received a Christmas bonus and also because I was in a bit of a hurry, I gave him the money.
When I came back after Christmas, he pulled me to the side when he saw me and asked me if I could lend him some more. He promised me that I would get it back, and with a profit, and I grew a little suspicious and asked him why he needed it (and I wasn't so sure anymore whether he made up that whole story with his sister). At first he told me that it was none of my business (yeah right, my money :rolli:), but then he told me that it had to do with smuggling drugs. I didn't give him the money and didn't tell anyone about it - not because I'm some sort of moralist, but simply because I didn't want to get involved. After that, things started to go downhill. The nice guy turned into some of the worst jerks in the entire home, started to put up fights with other residents, shouted at the people working there, failed to show up at appointments, and once even threatened me physically. I got some lukewarm apology from him and considered for a while if it wasn't better if I left. Everyone just wanted to get rid of him, but being the sneaky fella he was, he didn't make it easy. He left eventually, so I decided to stay. And if I never have to see him again, the money he promised to give me back but never did is well spent.
I wouldn't say that I've become any more suspicious since then, but at least it's a shining example of how first impressions can be horribly misleading.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
intuition is misleading. I don't see it as a spidey sense as much as an uncontainable resource for thinking up possibilities. And honestly if you use it too much like I do it can be a bitch, makes you second guess yourself and worry because you can't take things at face value and take action because you're unsure if your imagined scenarios hold any truth.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yesterday I was driving home and something said "That cop is sitting there, slow down!" and guess what. That cop was sitting there.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
intuition is misleading. I don't see it as a spidey sense as much as an uncontainable resource for thinking up possibilities.

I agree. I'm far too sceptical to give it much credit, and it takes me years until I can say that I really "know" someone, and then only reluctantly, apart from the question whether I can know myself at all.
Intuition can sometimes be a euphemism for prejudice.

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
intuition is misleading. I don't see it as a spidey sense as much as an uncontainable resource for thinking up possibilities. And honestly if you use it too much like I do it can be a bitch, makes you second guess yourself and worry because you can't take things at face value and take action because you're unsure if your imagined scenarios hold any truth.

An interesting perspective, Adoamros. I don't see intuition as thinking up a number of possibilities as much as offering up a possibility, a very specific one. I guess I would say, 'what does my initial intution tell me?" and go from there. So, it's not so much imagined scenarios for me--that's different from intuition, is my thought. If you invoke your imagination (which I do as well, consciously imagine certain scenerios), then that's different than intuition, which is a direct hit to your mind and spirit without any other filters.

dani_elle

MBTI Type
ENFP
I agree. I'm far too sceptical to give it much credit, and it takes me years until I can say that I really "know" someone, and then only reluctantly, apart from the question whether I can know myself at all.
Intuition can sometimes be a euphemism for prejudice.

Yeah thats the source of my conflicting feelings about intuition. However, sometimes it really happens to be accurate.

I try to give people chances as well. But its really,really hard to control my reactions towards a person normally if you plain don't trust them.