User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I do this with dreams.

Maybe it's along a different concept, but a lot of my dreams metaphorically foreshadow a lot of future events both significant and insignificant.

Wouldn't this be an Ni thing, what the OP is talking about? Initially reading the thread title brought Ni to mind. How are they different?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP

I know what you mean, OP. Sometimes I just get bad gut feelings or vibes from people. It really has nothing to do with the way they dress or what they wear, it just makes me uneasy.

One time I had this really bad gut feeling about my mom (who was out), and when she came back told me she almost got into a head-on collision. D:
    but that was an isolated occasion so I'm quite sure it was just coincidence, seeing as how I get a random sense of something-bad-is-going-to-happen-to-someone all the time and rarely does something bad actually occur.

MBTI
    ENFP

Honestly I'm not very familiar with Ni/Ne, I'm just outlining a situation in which my intuition was correct.

It's interesting to know that other people have gotten similar results with theirs. Then again, maybe you are right, its because I was juggling all the possibilities of things happening in my mind. For someone so mathematically retarded, I'm actually pretty good at statistics. Haha.

What I find interesting is how its possible to do so in a somewhat unconcious manner. Also - the more mistakes/experiences I have, the better my intuition gets. (as in, the vibes I get from people and not the weird, random gut feeling that something is going to happen.) I guess its subconciously recognizing the same patterns in different people based on observations. Something like that.
    I am an ENFP but I value justice over mercy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by dani_elle View Post
    So long story short, how much do you NFs out there rely on your intuition? Do you feel that you can accurately "read" people and predict future behaviour? There are times when I didn't trust my gut feeling and I regretted it, but I try to keep an open mind.
    Although I am an INFP and my dominant function is feeling, I rely heavily on my Intuition (I sometimes go and forth between INFP and INFJ if that matters at all). I'm really good at reading people. I can always smell a rat, so to speak.

Scenario:
    It's a Friday night, and I'm at a party with close friends. I'm not really into it, but I tag along because I like spending time with my girls because they make me laugh, keep me grounded, stay light-hearted, so on. Even if the party is a dud, I can catch up with them or at the very least people-watch (my fav!). Halfway through the night, my friends have spotted the life of the party: a very attractive guy who appears to know everyone and has the all the girls eating out of the palm of his hand . The plan? The Extroverted SP friend wants to do something wacky to get the guy's attention, the Extroverted SJ friend thinks the ESP's idea is creepy and thinks the best tactic would be to walk up to him and introduce herself, the Introverted SP friend agrees with the ESJ but would rather introduce herself with a friend there supporting her, and I, the Introverted NF friend, just tuned into the conversation (because I'm always the last one to know about these things, really) and am mortified. Why am I mortified? Because the only guy at the entire party that I've been getting a bad vibe from is the dude my friends are pining after :steam:. There is just something about him that reeks trouble. Dilemma Time! Do I tell them to stay away and risk the "You're too cautious/serious/boring" speech or, one better, the "You want him for yourself, don't you?" accusation from them or do I falsely encourage it and risk the guilt for having already predicted the outcome yet cheering them on anyway?

Typically, I go for the "Uh he's not my type" excuse and sulk in the corner while they all go crowd around the guy. I always come off looking like a pretentious butthole in the process. I'm the one, though, they come to when the guy DID turn out to be a skeeze. I just listen and sympathize although my mind is screaming 'I TOLD YOU SO (although not really).'

Anyway, yeah. I have the spidey sense. I just know some things. It's both a blessing and a curse, sometimes. I tend to rely on my Intuition in a difficult situation.

MBTI
    yupp

yeah seems like it was right, and i do know what you mean but i don't get a taste in my mouth a get this sensation in my stomach if its telling me not to trust someone, or just a general "bad" feeling from the other person.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Yeah, here's an example of my intuition: I was working as a dispatcher of security guards. Some were guarding, like, construction sites, very isolated, so they didn't have much to say, it's not like they were riding around and had to report their locations, because they were in one spot all night, so they had to radio in once an hour just to check in, so I heard everyone's voice on every shift I worked. Most of the time, I never saw these people. Occasionally, they would come into the office, but mostly, they were just voices.

So one night I left the radio to run into the lounge real quick to get a Coke from the machine, and the managers were sitting in there looking really glum, and I asked what was wrong, and one of them said "Jim" was fired. I was reaching into the machine to get my Coke and I tossed over my shoulder "Whew! I'm glad to hear it," and the manager really reacted, was like, why?! did something happen between you? and I said no, the sound of his voice just gives me the creeps, as I went briskly out the door and back to my radio.

Turns out he was fired for raping one of the female guards.

ding ding ding ding

Why would I ignore my intuition? If you have it, it's a gift to be used, not something to talk yourself out of...

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

i trust it 75% of the time. the other 25% is me trying to work things out. does this combo work? for the most part yes. i'm rarely wrong when it comes to people. dreams can be confusing. i've had more than one dream turn into reality but wasn't prepared to alter the situation. i now realize it wasn't a calling, but a warning. self preparation? how/why does this happen? i really don't know.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Why would I ignore my intuition? If you have it, it's a gift to be used, not something to talk yourself out of...
    very true.

sometimes i do find myself trying to talk myself out of the intuitions i have about people, especially if others around me don't seem to pick up on it or even seem to really like someone that i seem to just get bad vibes off of... but ultimately i avoid those who give me those vibes and i don't regret it.

the last time i had one of those was around this little old lady that everyone said was harmless and didn't understand why i seemed to have such instant distate for her.. i avoided speaking to her at all because she literally seemed to be surrounded by a negative energy to me. about a week later when i ran into her again, she was (very out of character - she usually plays the 'sweet' grandmother type) berating someone, cursing and all, just for being pro gay marriage..she said a lot of awful, profane, condemning things. totally uncalled for.

i always said i saw through her innocent facade and people just kind of rolled their eyes.. until one of said people witnessed this happening with me. i don't like being right when it's a negative intuition but i can't just ignore it.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I may have mentioned this story before.

I was working in a kibbutz in Israel and there was this guy (a former volunteer who came to visit ocassionally) that all the other volunteers praised to the skies. I think the others (particularly the younger volunteers - ie. aged around 19 or 20) liked him because he was sociable, confident, an amusing dry, cynical wit and the kind of guy who has travelled and done a lot - he was street smart. There was nothing particularly wrong about him but he always rubbed me the wrong way. I tried to work what it was: he seemed too sure of himself and he would tell you what he thought as if there was no other possible point of view on a subject (and seemed slightly bemused if you questioned it). I mentioned my distrust to him to a few others and now that I think of it, the only ones who agreed with me were probably NFs (likely a ENFP and a INFJ).

Later it turns out that a lot of the impressive/shocking things he told us about himself were a bit suspect (eg. owning a small hotel in Dahab, having a ex-wife who died in a car crash and kids back home to look after). On top of that his behaviour began to seem weird: he got an apartment next to the most popular hostel in Tel Aviv and used to hang around hoping to bump into people he knew or would eavesdrop strangers' conversation so that he could offer advice and start a conversation around the subject. It was a bit odd for a man in his mid 30s to be behaving like this - these were people in their teens or early 20s. A friend of mine trusted him so much that she asked him to look after her wallet. He must have written down her credit card number and used it to buy a short flight among other things. Everyone was so shocked when they found out what a lying, thieving bastard he was. I was not.

I get all these sorts of weird feelings about people, its satisfying to know when they were justified.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Not sure about the other types, but for INFPs perhaps this is a use of the Ne together with the tertiary Si? Digging up past experiences and comparing it with this new person.
    Intuition to me is basically picking up small seemingly unrelated pieces and putting together a big picture. Sorta like bringing 2 and 2 together to make 5.