• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs would you mind if I ask you something "personal" ?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
really sy? you're one of those people that believes your experience is the only truth? i wouldn't have thought that of you...it's not something i care to convince anyone of tho.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
really sy? you're one of those people that believes your experience is the only truth? i wouldn't have thought that of you...it's not something i care to convince anyone of tho.

Sure, go ahead and ignore all that I said and cared to lay out. No, one thing is experiencing something and the other thing is interpreting the experience.

My grandma and I will experience the same things by entering a drum n bass party. We will smell the smoke, we will hear the beat, we will see the people.

But the way the two of us interpret the experience, and the way it makes us feel inside our brains (as opposed to our eyes, ears, tongue, hands and nose which experience much the same things) is different.

My grandma will call it noise, and ill call it music. It's the same thing phenomenon, we just interpret it differently.

If you enter a room and see everyone fighting, or frowning or whatever it is you pick up SUBCONSCIOUSLY, without consciously analyzing it (like so many things we do pick up) ... and it makes you feel a certain way, and you call it negative energy, it doesn't mean that there IS negative energy in the room...because some robotic ITJ might also enter the room and pick up on nothing of the sort. Because his brain interpreting things differently. But the phenomena inside the room are the same.

So no, claiming there is ENERGY (god knows why people use that word in the first place) out there to be felt, and that the rest of us are for whatever reason not picking it up...THAT'S telling others only you guys see the truth.

And this is not about truth. It's about fact versus interpretation of fact. I never said anything about what is true. Truth is subjective.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i never claimed my experience was THE truth....but you seem to be saying yours is.

i said this is how it feels to me...my truth..my experience and it can be felt the moment someone walks in the room...they can have a blank face...it doesn't matter.

but yes i agree with you that people interpret their experiences differently and this is one of those ways.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
i never claimed my experience was THE truth....but you seem to be saying yours is.

i said this is how it feels to me...my truth..my experience and it can be felt the moment someone walks in the room...they can have a blank face...it doesn't matter.

but yes i agree with you that people interpret their experiences differently and this is one of those ways.

I explained it to the best of my ability. Sorry you still don't understand my words, but I didn't say anything about the truth. I was talking about fact.

And energy being there to be picked up by people is NOT a fact. This is not my opinion, this is not me claiming to know the truth, it's me using the correct definition of the word fact. And a fact is something that everyone should agree upon as the case. You know, like the wind blowing, or a person having spoken or something like that. Something that the 5 senses can see.

Anyway, this is pointless. Can't reason why someone who doesn't want to read what I have to say and try and understand what I mean.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it is not true that i didn't read or understand what you wrote. i heard you i just have a different experience...i believe energy is like emotion...it is something felt and there are plenty of people in this world who do feel others emotions...rather or not that could ever be a proven fact...really don't give a shit...doesn't change a thing...so why would i care to debate that with you?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
it is not true that i didn't read or understand what you wrote. i heard you i just have a different experience...i believe energy is like emotion...it is something felt and there are plenty of people in this world who do feel others emotions...rather or not that could ever be a proven fact...really don't give a shit...doesn't change a thing...so why would i care to debate that with you?

Well if you had read what I wrote you would have seen that I was saying this energy IS experienced like emotions.

And just as the same experience will produce different emotions in someone, so will other peoples moods and such. I'm not claiming you are not experiencing what you are experiencing. I'm claiming it's not something magical that is transmitted via air or some astral plane...I'm claiming that if you were blindfolded and with earplugs and entered the room...if you couldn't see or hear...you wouldn't know if the energy of the room was heavy or negative or positive. Are you claiming you would?

You are negatively judging my posts based on an initially perceived idea of some sort, but you are not unbiasedly analyzing the actual content of what I'm saying. You have already decided in your mind I'm trying to say something bad and you have already decided you don't care what I have to say on the subject because everything is subjective and every has their truths.

I'm trying to delve deeper and explain what is happening in people's brains.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well if you had read what I wrote you would have seen that I was saying this energy IS experienced like emotions.

And just as the same experience will produce different emotions in someone, so will other peoples moods and such. I'm not claiming you are not experiencing what you are experiencing. I'm claiming it's not something magical that is transmitted via air or some astral plane...I'm claiming that if you were blindfolded and with earplugs and entered the room...if you couldn't see or hear...you wouldn't know if the energy of the room was heavy or negative or positive. Are you claiming you would?

You are negatively judging my posts based on an initially perceived idea of some sort, but you are not unbiasedly analyzing the actual content of what I'm saying. You have already decided in your mind I'm trying to say something bad and you have already decided you don't care what I have to say on the subject because everything is subjective and every has their truths.

I'm trying to delve deeper and explain what is happening in people's brains.

i'm negatively judging your posts? interesting...are you implying you can read tone or pick up some sort of emotional vibe from words on a screen although you can't see me? i could very well be laughing and light hearted as i type...do you trust that instinct of yours?

also...my saying it was like emotion wasn't in disagreement..i was saying yes...i believe like emotion it is something felt and experienced not something you could prove and not something everyone would experience in the same way.

and i'm not claiming i know how the process works nor am i saying it is something mystical and i have no clue if it's something i would feel blindfolded.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
i'm negatively judging your posts? interesting...are you implying you can read tone or pick up some sort of emotional vibe from words on a screen although you can't see me? i could very well be laughing and light hearted as i type...do you trust that instinct of yours?

That's the thing, I believe you are negatively judging by the things you actually say, but the facts. Like you saying I think I know it has to be my truth. It's not about me getting any vibe or anything.

But even if it was...I'm a freakin ENFP here. I do a lot of subconscious processing, obviously. I can tell relatively well what others are feelings and all that crap...except I know I can be wrong, which is why I wouldn't vouch for every intuition I'd have BECAUSE I know it's just one possible interpretation of the facts.

It's about knowing WHY we have these feelings instead of chalking it up to some sort of vague concept like energy and going into detail how it can be thick or light or whatever...or believing it's something spiritual or something. I mean, what would that make of people who aren't as apt as ENFPs to pick up on these moods? Not in touch with the spiritual side of things or something like that? No, our brain is processing all the data...just most of it subconsciously..while, say, an ESTJ would it most of the processing consciously and concretely instead of subconsciously and holistically .

Anyway, I'm bored now. Go away!

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's like picking a lock. You can't just will it open, you must take your time.

I get a feeling straight away that something is going on and then look for certain clues in body language, tone of voice and things like that. So, the detection of emotions involves both the feeling and a later conscious action to find out the nuances.

It also depends on how close I am to the person. The more closer, the easier and quicker it is to detect certain emotions and the more accurate it is. With strangers or people I'm not that close to, it might take some time to figure out but the initial feeling that something is up is still there in the beginning.

How many emotions am I able to recognize? I don't know. How many are there? :D Haven't thought about it in such detail. I just feel it.

I get the same thing going on.

Spastic_Blondie

MBTI Type
ENFP
IME, NFs can appriciate the NTJ sense of humor. I get the sense they admire it.

True that. I looooove the NT sense of humor. In fact, it's kind of a turn-on. ;) I think humor should be the LAST thing you try to hide from someone, because humor is what makes a person fun. It may depend on the particular NF as to whether they have that sense of humor. It could also be a problem if you insult one of their firmly held beliefs or something that they care about. But...I say go for it. If you can cover it with a friendly and kind of sly smile, that might help a lot, too.

As far as the original question...erm...that is really difficult to answer. I honestly have no idea and I don't think I've ever even really thought about it. :shock: Haha. If they look sad and are giving off sad vibes, they're probably sad...? Lol.

Sailboat

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hard to explain, but I get a feeling. It doesn't make sense, not even to me. I suppose it's from the way they talk, how they treat others, how they treat me when we interact. Body language? I also notice details that I think most (???) people may overlook...expressions, reactions... I just kind of know. Or I think I know anyway.

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
How do you pick emotions of other people ?

In theory this is something in what NFs are suppose to be great at. So I am wondering how this works. Do you understand what the person is feeling right away? (like you should in online tests)
Or it is more likely that you will slowly have to figure it out through a body language/voice or somethinng like that ?

I am wondering if you try to determine this piece of information by "default" or it taks a conscious action to do this ? (or it depends)

Also if someone asks you how many emotions do you recognize what would you say as an answer ?

The reason why I am asking is because I am wondering about how to have a better dinamic with NFs in real life. :yes:

I don't always know right away what someone else is feeling. I'm not a mind reader. Sometimes I wish I was, but considering how gross most people are these days, I'm glad I'm not. :)

I usually just get an impression from someone. Like a month ago this guy came into my restaurant, I took his order, and the atmosphere around him (his mood) was so heavy, like the lead jacket the dentist gives you before he takes your X-rays. This man looked like he was starved for affection. Like a half forgotten teddy bear. If I wasn't at work I would have given him a hug.

More words, less similes. His eyes were downcast, his voice was deep and tired, he took heavy, sighing breaths. I noticed the atmosphere first, the physical cues second.

Situations like that, that jump out at me so much, don't happen very often. That one took very little thought. Most of the time it's a conscious effort. Usually I see someone and think, "Oh, there's some guy. Whatev," or, "Oh, that lady looks like she's in a good mood/bored/probably shouldn't mess with her."

How many emotions do I recognize? Well, how many emotions are there? I don't know. I'm much better with recognizing my own feelings. I'm quick to figure out why I'm in a funk and what I should do about it. But I'm pretty unaware of what signals I'm giving off.

In other people it's not as accurate. If all the signs match up with what they're doing (atmosphere, facial expressions, tone of voice), I can recognize happiness, sadness, anger and sometimes disinterest. But if I consciously notice something's out of place, then I don't know if they're faking it or if there's something bothering them. :huh:

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
It all stems from a spiritual perspective. NF's start tuning their souls to pick up "vibrations" of their soul, which in turn also means others as well.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
It all stems from a spiritual perspective. NF's start tuning their souls to pick up "vibrations" of their soul, which in turn also means others as well.

:huh:

My soul must have a will of it's own though cause it doesn't even know it exists.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
How do you pick emotions of other people ?
In theory this is something in what NFs are suppose to be great at. So I am wondering how this works. Do you understand what the person is feeling right away? (like you should in online tests)
Or it is more likely that you will slowly have to figure it out through a body language/voice or somethinng like that ?
I am wondering if you try to determine this piece of information by "default" or it taks a conscious action to do this ? (or it depends)
Also if someone asks you how many emotions do you recognize what would you say as an answer ?
The reason why I am asking is because I am wondering about how to have a better dinamic with NFs in real life. :yes:
Excellent question. There happen being a whole host with many variables. Of course we (NF) are attuned with both the language with body, and also speech intonation. How i do it is when in conversation with another being, i listen to what one says. This happens supposedly in a nano-second rate in that i perceive a similar, parrallel situation i happened finding myself in. I then can relate to the speaker, even if the situation is not the same, i can relate on how it could possibly be. I listen with the words spoken. I detect the emotional resonance of their body as well as voice. I interpret (again in a semi split time frame).

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Yeah this is a great question. But for me the answer is simple.

INFPs are supposed to be sensitive to everything right? If I meet someone and they're feeling a certain way, chances are I've felt that way before, too, just by the fact that NF will have had more emotional experiences than any other type. So I just recognize it out of my own memory (subconscious or otherwise) of that same feeling. And then I identify it as such.

Despite how "psychic" the NF personality can be, I don't think you can really understand someone else's pain unless you've gone through it yourself firsthand. Because the NF has typically experienced more emotions than the other types, they can more easily spot someone else's emotional state.

So, in short, for me, it's just about recognizing something already familiar.

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Usually I can tell just by this, I mean, pretty much anyone can.

1. Body language
2. Tone of voice
3. Words being used
4. Previous experience with the person and their reactions
5. Previous experience with someone similar and the other person's reactions compared.

But sometimes I can just walk in a room and be like "Woah, someone is furious, sad, euphoric, etc." And its just something that you sense, you don't even really have to see or hear the person. But thats just me. :D

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In a way it is funny how this thread attracts NF.
Especially since the thread simply can't die because of this.

Anyway keep them coming. I am reading all replays. :yes:

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
1. Body language
2. Tone of voice
3. Words being used
5. Previous experience with someone similar and the other person's reactions compared.

What she said.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hard to explain, but I get a feeling. It doesn't make sense, not even to me. I suppose it's from the way they talk, how they treat others, how they treat me when we interact. Body language? I also notice details that I think most (???) people may overlook...expressions, reactions... I just kind of know. Or I think I know anyway.

It's certainly a "vibe" kind of thing. Not quite a sixth sense, but it's just there.

1. Body language
2. Tone of voice
3. Words being used

I feel bad because sometimes I'm completely tuned out on what someone is saying to me that I have to ask them again because I'm busy analyzing everything else. Not good for important conversations!

A small percentage of the message being sent is what is spoken. But when you're having the conversation, the other person really wants to know that you're *listening*, not necessarily tuned into all the other signals they're sending.