First 678910 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Nobody said that :rolli:

It's just the thing NFs tend to focus on and enjoy discussing. Practise eventually makes (close to) perfect as with anything else.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    Reading the emotions in others is an empathic quality not exclusive to NF's
    Nor is reading body language..
    +1

In fact, this sounds more like FeSi to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ~~ENFJ~~ View Post
    I then almost unconsciously and practically instantaneously go through a rolodex in my mind of every situation that I've ever known through my own experiences, those imparted to me, those I've read about, etc to see which are similar to what's going on, very quickly paring it down to a small group of comparative examples. That really happens without thought or effort. I might verbalize the similarities or ask questions to affirm or eliminate my comparisons. Were you scared? What did you do? If I need to ask questions, I don't usually need many. It is sort of like that children's game Guess Who?

MBTI
    INFP

to answer this question I'm not really thinking about it. I don't go, okay let's see how their body language is..I just know. I kind of think with my body and not the mind. i think it's little to do with the mind and mostly a sensitive nervous system.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

How do you pick emotions of other people ?
    -Body language
    -The look in their eye
    -The vibe they give off

In theory this is something in what NFs are suppose to be great at. So I am wondering how this works. Do you understand what the person is feeling right away? (like you should in online tests)
    Or it is more likely that you will slowly have to figure it out through a body language/voice or something like that ?

-I'm usually right on my first guess, and I usually keep pressing and they always tell me. I think everyone just wants someone to tell.

I am wondering if you try to determine this piece of information by "default" or it takes a conscious action to do this ? (or it depends)

-I don't know I'm doing it. I'll be standing there and see someone and think "That person seems upset." even if they'll be smiling. And usually I go talk to them an am right. There's always a little crack in every facade.

Also if someone asks you how many emotions do you recognize what would you say as an answer ?

-Sadness, anger, love, bliss, and depression. All the places I've been.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am well aware that I can't really hide it and to be honest I don't want to.
    What I am actually asking if there is a way to slow down the "getting to know each other" process. Which is because if things happen too quickly there is a larger chance that I will come the wrong way.
    All I would add is that my type is slow to judge, so coming across the wrong way isn't necessarily the end. INFP doesn't tend to believe in final answers so if you screw up, you can come again and we'll probably be curious to learn another side to you.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

In theory this is something in what NFs are suppose to be great at. So I am wondering how this works. Do you understand what the person is feeling right away? (like you should in online tests)
    Or it is more likely that you will slowly have to figure it out through a body language/voice or somethinng like that ?

To be honest because i intuatively feel it, i don't usually think about it
    I found and very much like this defination of intuition...

"Intuition is a combination of historical (empirical) data, deep and heightened observation and an ability to cut through the thickness of surface reality. Intuition is like a slow motion machine that captures data instantaneously and hits you like a ton of bricks. Intuition is a knowing, a sensing that is beyond the conscious understanding a gut feeling. Intuition is not pseudo-science. - Abella Arthur"

I am wondering if you try to determine this piece of information by "default" or it taks a conscious action to do this ? (or it depends)

I would rarely try, it would usualy just be there...however, sometimes i may feel there is more to a situation or person than i am understanding and i have a need to find out so i may stay longer than necessary or engage in conversation. I agree with the comment about a lightness or darkness...sometimes the feeling can be very physical too, like i'm experiencing it myself

Also if someone asks you how many emotions do you recognize what would you say as an answer ?

Too many, there are variations... like colours

The reason why I am asking is because I am wondering about how to have a better dinamic with NFs in real life.
    Ummm... just try to be accepting i think

MBTI
    INFP

OK I'm going to cheat and tell you how NF's work. By focusing on emotions you also pick up others as well. Same for NT's and thoughts, it all just floats around you so you know what to look for in other people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

For me, I'll be around someone and will be able to sense what's going on for them. I'll get a thought and a sensation along with it, and if I know them and ask, I'll often be correct.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3

I get a kind of awareness, I wouldn't exactly call it a "feeling", its more detached then that, like intuition. Then I take this assumption & I naturally look for evidence to validate it. First, I empathize using history (what I know about the person based on experience / how they talk, move, etc.) then that either strengthens or weakens my theory & I use what current feedback I can get from them without feeling like I'm prying. Doing this again & again based on situations/experiences, usually very naturally, gives me an overall frame of reference for the person, and it becomes easier & easier to pick up on what they want, like, feel.

This, of course, gets jarred if the person is too walled off because I have no genuine feedback to work with. Also, if I know nothing about their history, I can't feel comfortable making any assumptions about my intuitions, so I usually wait to look for anything.

The benefit of this process is that lying doesn't get past it. I'm not looking for direct statements. I'm not looking for what the other person wants me to be looking for, so I need genuine connection. This is why some Ts throw me off, because they don't give anything unless they've analyzed that its completely useless to my understanding of who they are. So, while I don't really get manipulated, there are huge potential blindspots where I am too afraid to make judgments without meaningful facts.

Look at them and empathise. It's not quite about feelings though. More like viewing reality as a different observer. Think what is the world like from where they are? What can I do to improve it? I'm guessing non-NFs do the same thing.

Or it is more likely that you will slowly have to figure it out through a body language/voice or somethinng like that ?
    I get a hunch when I first see them. Ne goes nuts and maps out all the details, and possibilities of what they might mean. There isn't really assumptions. Ideas get floated and tested. Things get labelled as "I don't know"s, or "80% sure"s, or "could be a few things", etc. I subconsciously attack the key unknowns or ones that hold the most potential in filling out the picture. This is done through just glancing around and taking in more details, seeing their reactions and changes in thinking during conversation, talking about random things to get a baseline. I sometimes think we could talk about the irrelevant and they could lie to me for two minutes and it would make little difference in reading them.

I am wondering if you try to determine this piece of information by "default" or it taks a conscious action to do this ? (or it depends)
    It is mainly subconscious in the sense that I don't need to control it. I am aware of its process and the reasons behind each conclusion though.

Also if someone asks you how many emotions do you recognize what would you say as an answer?
    Every feeling has its own context and essence. There are millions of different sads and millions of different happys. It's a bit like MBTi. We just refer to them with the same letters because they are similar.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.