User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    How do you pick emotions of other people ?

In theory this is something in what NFs are suppose to be great at. So I am wondering how this works. Do you understand what the person is feeling right away? (like you should in online tests)
    Or it is more likely that you will slowly have to figure it out through a body language/voice or somethinng like that ?

I am wondering if you try to determine this piece of information by "default" or it taks a conscious action to do this ? (or it depends)

Also if someone asks you how many emotions do you recognize what would you say as an answer ?

The reason why I am asking is because I am wondering about how to have a better dinamic with NFs in real life.
    it doesn't feel like it's analyzed...it just feels like knowing...the same way you do when you go outside and it's sunny and and the birds are chirpin and there's a nice breeze and the smell of honeysuckle and cut grass and you know it's a nice day.

haha...goofy enough for ya?

but yeah...somethin like that.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    it doesn't feel like it's analyzed...it just feels like knowing...the same way you do when you go outside and it's sunny and and the birds are chirpin and there's a nice breeze and the smell of honeysuckle and cut grass and you know it's a nice day.
    You know it's a nice day because all the elements were nice, evidently.

knowing : be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    You know it's a nice day because all the elements were nice, evidently.

knowing : be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information

oh..i see your point...well i guess mine was that it was instant.

do you wanna fight?! i'll fight you...shaking your head at me that way...you PUNK!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I have expected to see NFP/NFJ difference here.
    No no.

FDom versus NDom would be more accurate.
    I understood exactly what Happyman was talking about.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Not all NFs are created equally.

Some seem to have this almost mystical ability to read emotions, but my strength is more of a lovingly-patient willingness to listen and understand.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    Not all NFs are created equally.

Some seem to have this almost mystical ability to read emotions, but my strength is more of a lovingly-patient willingness to listen and understand.
    I agree.

Anything I suspect on my own is just through observation of body language, tone of voice, statements, facial expression, etc. I don't pretend to know what they feel, I only imagine what it might be. I'm more likely to ask if someone feels a certain way than to assume. I get misinterpreted a lot because I am quiet, and so I try not to do that to others.

Of course, sometimes the signs are glaringly obvious, especially when you know someone well. As Lady X says, if you see the sun shining bright, then you know it's a sunny day. I'm not always observant enough though...my head is off in the clouds.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it's odd though...i know it sounds egotistical to say that you know...when obviously...you can't really. i'm just trying to be honest about how it feels to me though...i don't even feel like it comes from a place of being so caring...and involved in how someone feels...listening and being concerned...i feel like ...i get the big picture idea of what all that inner thought chit chatter sums up to...if that makes sense...not like...oh random person i'm so concerned tell me your woes...just...random person is upset...frustrated...feeling ignored...and a lil irritated that he has to wait....is trying to be nice...but wants to have a two yr old tantrum...know what i mean?...when really...it's just some dude sitting there...
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Ah, an NT
    The over riding thing here AO, is to try and not actually over think this, difficult, for you, I know. As other posters have stated, this is about giving up trying to control or direct meetings , or conversations for maximum success.
    You'll find that an NF will probably not be as far removed from a thinking cousin as you imagine, and even though we can throw out Fe tenacles to haul in and examine your mood, emotions and atmospherics, it's retty much garunteed that any NT jokes, or speech patterns are likely to be very magnamimously viewed, because actually,... i think most feelers actually really like Thinkers.
    We may not be thinkers, but we sort of 'get' them. Its only in relationships that are getting deeper where real F and T conflicts tend to rear their heads. In freindships, I think you'll find theres a lot of willingness to try and reach out on both sides.
    If you're looking for a way to stop the NF from turning their laser beam eyeballs on you too soon, then a disraction technique you could use is to talk about a very weird or whacky or frine subject... aliens or something always does the trick, as some NF's especially INFJ's can be a bit reluctant to have the tables turned on them with questions about themselves, of a too probing nature.
    Hope that helps.
    G. x

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Arghh, got carried away on trying to help with the conversation parts of your posts OP,.. to answer the original question.. about how i read a person or mood.. well, its not really a conscious thing.. i see the person, and straight away by their demeanour, and a sort of heavy, or light atmosphere around them, i discern wether they feel good or bad. Light mood feels energised, bad mood feels like heavy air, and a sense of sepression, fear,.. anger.. disappointment etc... whatever they are feeling sweeps over me too. All this happens in a second. Then i begin to consciously focus on the feeling they are emanating, and let my head start to whatever random visual imagery that comes into my mind about why they are feeling the way they ae feeling.
    For eg,...I may experience images of their boyfreind shouting at them, or a symbol of a broken heart, or a broken wedding ring, which I associate with broken trust or broken relationship... again, this is all happening very quickly,.. and i'll then maybe start to direct the conversation round to how they are, that they dont look happy today.. is everything ok with them... is all ok with their them and their boyfreind etc etc... they can then either say everythings ok, or they can say its not, and talk to me about it if they choose to.
    Its a vague descriptive, Im sorry, but its very hard to put into words... but maybe that helps a bit?
    G. x

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2, 9

I feel like I have no control over knowing how other people feel. I walk into a room and I can feel an individuals emotions or the entire rooms emotion. I am very rarely wrong either, it's bizarre.

I've even noticed going for a walk outside, after the economy tanked, that the air is more heavy. People feel very stuck and worried now. It concerns me.