User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Hard to explain, but I get a feeling. It doesn't make sense, not even to me. I suppose it's from the way they talk, how they treat others, how they treat me when we interact. Body language? I also notice details that I think most (???) people may overlook...expressions, reactions... I just kind of know. Or I think I know anyway.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    How do you pick emotions of other people ?

In theory this is something in what NFs are suppose to be great at. So I am wondering how this works. Do you understand what the person is feeling right away? (like you should in online tests)
    Or it is more likely that you will slowly have to figure it out through a body language/voice or somethinng like that ?

I am wondering if you try to determine this piece of information by "default" or it taks a conscious action to do this ? (or it depends)

Also if someone asks you how many emotions do you recognize what would you say as an answer ?

The reason why I am asking is because I am wondering about how to have a better dinamic with NFs in real life.
    I don't always know right away what someone else is feeling. I'm not a mind reader. Sometimes I wish I was, but considering how gross most people are these days, I'm glad I'm not.

I usually just get an impression from someone. Like a month ago this guy came into my restaurant, I took his order, and the atmosphere around him (his mood) was so heavy, like the lead jacket the dentist gives you before he takes your X-rays. This man looked like he was starved for affection. Like a half forgotten teddy bear. If I wasn't at work I would have given him a hug.

More words, less similes. His eyes were downcast, his voice was deep and tired, he took heavy, sighing breaths. I noticed the atmosphere first, the physical cues second.

Situations like that, that jump out at me so much, don't happen very often. That one took very little thought. Most of the time it's a conscious effort. Usually I see someone and think, "Oh, there's some guy. Whatev," or, "Oh, that lady looks like she's in a good mood/bored/probably shouldn't mess with her."

How many emotions do I recognize? Well, how many emotions are there? I don't know. I'm much better with recognizing my own feelings. I'm quick to figure out why I'm in a funk and what I should do about it. But I'm pretty unaware of what signals I'm giving off.

In other people it's not as accurate. If all the signs match up with what they're doing (atmosphere, facial expressions, tone of voice), I can recognize happiness, sadness, anger and sometimes disinterest. But if I consciously notice something's out of place, then I don't know if they're faking it or if there's something bothering them.
    Just because I'm an INFP doesn't mean I'm emo!

MBTI
    INFP

It all stems from a spiritual perspective. NF's start tuning their souls to pick up "vibrations" of their soul, which in turn also means others as well.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by jtanSis1 View Post
    It all stems from a spiritual perspective. NF's start tuning their souls to pick up "vibrations" of their soul, which in turn also means others as well.

My soul must have a will of it's own though cause it doesn't even know it exists.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    How do you pick emotions of other people ?
    In theory this is something in what NFs are suppose to be great at. So I am wondering how this works. Do you understand what the person is feeling right away? (like you should in online tests)
    Or it is more likely that you will slowly have to figure it out through a body language/voice or somethinng like that ?
    I am wondering if you try to determine this piece of information by "default" or it taks a conscious action to do this ? (or it depends)
    Also if someone asks you how many emotions do you recognize what would you say as an answer ?
    The reason why I am asking is because I am wondering about how to have a better dinamic with NFs in real life.
    Excellent question. There happen being a whole host with many variables. Of course we (NF) are attuned with both the language with body, and also speech intonation. How i do it is when in conversation with another being, i listen to what one says. This happens supposedly in a nano-second rate in that i perceive a similar, parrallel situation i happened finding myself in. I then can relate to the speaker, even if the situation is not the same, i can relate on how it could possibly be. I listen with the words spoken. I detect the emotional resonance of their body as well as voice. I interpret (again in a semi split time frame).

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Yeah this is a great question. But for me the answer is simple.

INFPs are supposed to be sensitive to everything right? If I meet someone and they're feeling a certain way, chances are I've felt that way before, too, just by the fact that NF will have had more emotional experiences than any other type. So I just recognize it out of my own memory (subconscious or otherwise) of that same feeling. And then I identify it as such.

Despite how "psychic" the NF personality can be, I don't think you can really understand someone else's pain unless you've gone through it yourself firsthand. Because the NF has typically experienced more emotions than the other types, they can more easily spot someone else's emotional state.

So, in short, for me, it's just about recognizing something already familiar.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Talking

Usually I can tell just by this, I mean, pretty much anyone can.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    1. Body language
    2. Tone of voice
    3. Words being used
    4. Previous experience with the person and their reactions
    5. Previous experience with someone similar and the other person's reactions compared.
    But sometimes I can just walk in a room and be like "Woah, someone is furious, sad, euphoric, etc." And its just something that you sense, you don't even really have to see or hear the person. But thats just me.

In a way it is funny how this thread attracts NF.
    Especially since the thread simply can't die because of this.

Anyway keep them coming. I am reading all replays.

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

1. Body language
    2. Tone of voice
    3. Words being used
    5. Previous experience with someone similar and the other person's reactions compared.
    What she said.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
    Hard to explain, but I get a feeling. It doesn't make sense, not even to me. I suppose it's from the way they talk, how they treat others, how they treat me when we interact. Body language? I also notice details that I think most (???) people may overlook...expressions, reactions... I just kind of know. Or I think I know anyway.
    It's certainly a "vibe" kind of thing. Not quite a sixth sense, but it's just there.

1. Body language
    2. Tone of voice
    3. Words being used
    I feel bad because sometimes I'm completely tuned out on what someone is saying to me that I have to ask them again because I'm busy analyzing everything else. Not good for important conversations!

A small percentage of the message being sent is what is spoken. But when you're having the conversation, the other person really wants to know that you're *listening*, not necessarily tuned into all the other signals they're sending.