• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What do other types think of INFP's

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
This thread makes me feel like there's a whole lot of emotionally instable INFPs out there that are seriously in need some therapy so as to stop ruining the general opinion of us. I'm beginning to really resent being painted with the same brush.

On the other hand it makes me feel better because I seem very much together by comparison. :D

No. I think there's just a general bias against INFPs because of the stereotypes that portray us. We aren't timebombs or emos or whatever other depreciating label we're boxed under.

The trend among some non-INFPs is to mistype whiny, overly emotional people as INFPs when those people may just as easily be immature, inexperienced, or "unhealthy" (a word I'm beginning to hate because it's not only used in excess in this community but also because its always in correlation with INFPs) persons of another personality type.

Because the MBTI is on the basis of science, the entire theory is a device used to categorize people for practical reasons. However, the trouble with the theory* is that it attempts to categorize people who are both unpredictable and individuals. Thus, no two people in a personality type are alike although there are distinct personality traits within that type.
...It's also much easier to bash or demean a group of people/a personality type through gross generalizations instead of trying to understand how a type's functions operate (nudgenudge).

Unfortunately, what we INFPs consider our strengths (reflecting, seeking purpose, being compassionate, obtaining sensitivity) is what others see as our weaknesses. Well, that's up until they have an identity crisis/become emotionally depressed (emotionally LOST!) and need someone to empathize, appreciate, and listen to them with an open heart and mind :smile: Who else to call but an INFP? ;)

*I believe in typology and enjoy learning about it, but no theory is perfect, right?

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nothing said in here is really helpful because it is sooo vague, and about half of it makes me think people are typing other types as INFPs, which I think happens a lot. I think ISFXs and INFJs get mistyped as INFPs a lot.

Like the "whiny" thing. I hardly have a chance to whine because I am always having to listen to other people whine & be handing out sympathy. People dump on INFPs a lot, but apparently INFPs are not allowed to vent. Not to mention, only the most trusted of the trusted will ever hear my real feelings (save the occasional, anonymous, online vent :p).

/whine

My words exactly.
*Round of Applause*

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That’s your answer? It’s a good try, but I don’t believe that you can hate someone and be friends with them at the same time. It just does make sense. Nice back-pedaling though.
Again: It is my suspicion that you decided to call me whiney because of stereotyping, since my post was not whiney. Of corse I can't prove that...

So you’re protective of your unbearably annoying, insufferable, preachy, intolerable and sickening friends? Great for you.:shock:
It's truly sad that MBTI is used not as a means of understanding self, but as a means of generating and perpetuating false steroetypes, of all types, not just infp's...there is not a thread on here that can't be seen in that light.
Alright. You tell me. What should I say about the INFPs that I know? You give me the opinion I should have.
If you can't consider people's feelings, your logic becomes thinner than paper.
Good for that :coffee:

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I love the way you just throw that in there like it's obvious. How does "being ridiculous" work? I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure.

Um.

Overly sensitive, irrational, respond negatively to reality when it hits them (which absolutely blows my mind), care too much about the most idiotic things (reserve your care for what is important, not for everything), etc.

Right!

Also, I hear what people are saying in this thread about being annoyed by the tossing around of healthy vs. unhealthy. I have an anxiety disorder that went undiagnosed and untreated until I was almost thirty, so I actually was unhealthy in a very literal sense. Even beyond other types seeing our positives as negatives, I used to mostly just manifest the disadvantages of the INFP stereotype (such as hypersensitivity) without so much of the advantages (such as good empathy). Sorry about forgetting to explain my terms; this seems to be a common problem of mine.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No. I think there's just a general bias against INFPs because of the stereotypes that portray us. We aren't timebombs or emos or whatever other depreciating label we're boxed under.

The trend among some non-INFPs is to mistype whiny, overly emotional people as INFPs when those people may just as easily be immature, inexperienced, or "unhealthy" (a word I'm beginning to hate because it's not only used in excess in this community but also because its always in correlation with INFPs) persons of another personality type.

Because the MBTI is on the basis of science, the entire theory is a device used to categorize people for practical reasons. However, the trouble with the theory* is that it attempts to categorize people who are both unpredictable and individuals. Thus, no two people in a personality type are alike although there are distinct personality traits within that type.
...It's also much easier to bash or demean a group of people/a personality type through gross generalizations instead of trying to understand how a type's functions operate (nudgenudge).

Unfortunately, what we INFPs consider our strengths (reflecting, seeking purpose, being compassionate, obtaining sensitivity) is what others see as our weaknesses. Well, that's up until they have an identity crisis/become emotionally depressed (emotionally LOST!) and need someone to empathize, appreciate, and listen to them with an open heart and mind :smile: Who else to call but an INFP? ;)
I have not yet found any INFP that I don't know too well or here on the forums, except a certain someone (Hint: my last post) a problem. I tend to get along with them quite well as they are usually smart and can bring in a very nice discussion. But the ones who get close to me... they're like "alright, I think I can flash my 'privates' around now and he'll be fine with it." and thus my opinion will go to those that get close to me.

I tend to refer people to the stereotype rather than refer the stereotype to the people. And I would say the stereotype is pretty much the profile of the type.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
INFPs.... :thumbdown:
My experience with them is that they can get unbearably annoying when they become a close friend.
If I tell them they're unbearably annoying they go into sulky, 'I want to be alone' mode.

I think the reason for the defensiveness is that the implication is that INFP are ok *until* you get close to them and once you do they suck. Isn't that the fear of the "deeper" personality types that don't open up to everyone?

Getting defensive isn't limited to INFPs - ENFPs and INFJs at least I've seen do the same thing on the board when someone says something negative. The truth is that all types do it, they just do it in their own way. INTP, INTJ: "Fk them, I don't care what they say they are dumb" isn't any healthier, it just doesn't seem as whiny.

To other types Raging's quote really just sounds like he had one bad experience with someone he thinks is INFP and wrote them all off. But it says outloud a fear INFPs actually have. "Once I get to know you I don't like you"

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
INFP are fun to play with, I actually made several cry. From a point on, though, their "kindness" irritates me.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really? It seems like a goal of most INFPs. INFPs over the age of 30 seem a lot more palatable, and I suspect it's from a constant self-analysis and striving to meet their idealized self.

Even at 25 I think I am already more likable, or maybe that's an improved self-esteem, which should make me more likable in theory though.

You're right - there are many types of personal growth, and it was unfair for me to word it like I did. I agree that pretty much all INFPs, assuming they aren't in the throes of Te, question themselves constantly.

However, to grossly simplify what I'm talking about, INFPs often prefer to find more refined answers to the same personal questions. Compare this to people who strive to discover better questions. The latter may make past answers meaningless.

These critique threads disappoint me, because I feel I could rake myself over the coals so much better. It's just a lot of weak, unspecific stuff; even the praise is pretty generic (and notice this thread does not only ask for the negative points).

That's because we know ourselves better than they do. :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's because we know ourselves better than they do. :D

It would appear so at times, yes...still, i find the perceptions of others to be quite useful in maintaining that. And although it is painful to hear sometimes, I keep in mind who the percon giving me the critiscism is and why they are likely to view me that way...which is harder to do in these kind of threads as you don't know all of them, or their motivations to generalize INFPs in a certain way.

I agree also with the statement that for an INFP it is a fear to not be accepted once they open up, which causes them to stay rather guarded. From their/our side, it kinda feels like nobody really knows how to grasp/handle/respond to/appreciate what's inside without needing to withdraw for fear of being overwhelmed...which is very disappointing and hurtful as you are incredibly vulnerable when you open those floodgates.

Getting to know an INFP intimately is kinda like looking into the sun,shining too brightly, to the point where you cannot stare directly at it without being harmed, causing you to almost turn away automatically. Or being invited to gaze into a deep dark well, you sooo don't wanna fall into...depending on the mood of the INFP :D

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have not yet found any INFP that I don't know too well or here on the forums, except a certain someone (Hint: my last post) a problem. I tend to get along with them quite well as they are usually smart and can bring in a very nice discussion. But the ones who get close to me... they're like "alright, I think I can flash my 'privates' around now and he'll be fine with it." and thus my opinion will go to those that get close to me.

Hm. INTJs are known to have crazy 'privates.'
Are you an atypical INTJ? Or do you just think your out-of-the-box ideas are justified/unique/superior in comparsion to that of an INFP's?

I tend to refer people to the stereotype rather than refer the stereotype to the people. And I would say the stereotype is pretty much the profile of the type.

Are you sure? It would seem the other way around.
Perhaps you aren't truly seeing and understanding these people, your close friends specifically. Anyone can fit neatly inside a box (read: stereotype) if you distort your perception of them enough. The same thing happens with racial stereotypes (So, incorrect, Ragingkatsuki! The stereotype is notnotnot the profile of the type. Try Again :(.)

There are more layers to "whiny, overly emotional" INFPs (Surprise!) than I think you're giving them credit for. Re-evaluate your friendships. Gain some genuine respect for your "unbearably annoying" and "intolerant" friends. Or better yet, just drop them all together. (No one needs friends who are both pathetic and illogical :rolli:.) But remember that despite their (our? I don't even know anymore) senitmentality they have the magic word, intuition!, an NT compass as well, to guide their feelings more easily towards wisdom and depth of mind than, say, you do! :laugh: I kid!...But forreal though. I think you need some...

New INFP friends (!!).
I can help you with that, y'know ;).

Sorry, I didn't mean to perpetuate the Attack of Ragingkatsuki this thread has quickly turned into, but...there you go.

Last edited:

Jaguar

I tend to get along with them quite well as they are usually smart and can bring in a very nice discussion.

I would prefer to talk with an insightful INFP any day of the week,
than read the inane drivel or infectious narcissism of some NTs roaming this forum.

Pretty soon I'm going to have to hand out antibiotics.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
It would appear so at times, yes...still, i find the perceptions of others to be quite useful in maintaining that. And although it is painful to hear sometimes, I keep in mind who the percon giving me the critiscism is and why they are likely to view me that way...which is harder to do in these kind of threads as you don't know all of them, or their motivations to generalize INFPs in a certain way.

I agree also with the statement that for an INFP it is a fear to not be accepted once they open up, which causes them to stay rather guarded. From their/our side, it kinda feels like nobody really knows how to grasp/handle/respond to/appreciate what's inside without needing to withdraw for fear of being overwhelmed...which is very disappointing and hurtful as you are incredibly vulnerable when you open those floodgates.

Getting to know an INFP intimately is kinda like looking into the sun,shining too brightly, to the point where you cannot stare directly at it without being harmed, causing you to almost turn away automatically. Or being invited to gaze into a deep dark well, you sooo don't wanna fall into...depending on the mood of the INFP :D

I don't think this is an INFP trait or even specifically type related. If you talk to people, you'll often hear that they are afraid once someone they care about gets to know them beyond the surface, they may not like what they see and run away. I think this is very common once intimacy begins to deepen.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hm. INTJs are known to have crazy 'privates.'
Are you an atypical INTJ? Or do you just think your out-of-the-box ideas are justified/unique/superior in comparsion to that of an INFPs'?
Whether I have crazy 'privates' or not I wouldn't show them to anyone no matter how close they are to me.
Are you sure? It would seem the other way around.
Perhaps you aren't truly seeing and understanding these people, your "close" friends specifically. Anyone can fit neatly inside a box (read: stereotype) if you distort your perception of them enough. The same thing happens with racial stereotypes (So, incorrect, Ragingkatsuki! The stereotype is notnotnot the profile of the type. Try Again :(.)

There are more layers to "whiny, overly emotional" INFPs (Surprise!) than I think you're giving them credit for. Re-evaluate your friendships. Gain some genuine respect for your "unbearably annoying" and "intolerant" friends. Or better yet, just drop them all together. No one needs friends who are both pathetic and illogical :rolli:. But remember, though, they have the magic word, intuition!--which also happens to be an NT compass to guide their feelings properly <not a hit at Sensors (I swear).

I think you need...
some new INFP friends (!!).
I can help you with that, y'know ;).
:D You 'seem' like a smart INFP so here:
- I did not call INFPs in general whiny nor my close friends
- I look at the person and then see how he fits the stereotype. I would not say that everything the stereotype says is what he does.
- I was giving the opinion of my experience with INFPs who are close friends
- I respect the INFPs but not their knack to pull me in their emotions
- I trust my INFP friends or else they would never be my friends
- I dislike the way they fully open themselves to me. They are fine when they are in their 'normal state'.
- My INFP friends would probably call me an arrogant, self-centered asshole but would still call me a close friend
- I can give much worse opinions on any other type. Not only the INFPs. I have my little stash of bad opinions with them too.
- I have no reason to bash on INFPs. I only find the ones I've experienced (the close ones) annoying

If you cannot understand any of the points given then I can't help you anymore.

Also, What is the stereotype if it's not the profile of the type then?

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
this thread is booorrinnnnggggg

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why are you so bitter?

I would put my money on the idea that you don't really understand yourself(esfj?), let alone others,... You'll get it!
You're calling me bitter based on this thread. You clearly don't know me.