First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    This thread makes me feel like there's a whole lot of emotionally instable INFPs out there that are seriously in need some therapy so as to stop ruining the general opinion of us. I'm beginning to really resent being painted with the same brush.

On the other hand it makes me feel better because I seem very much together by comparison.
    No. I think there's just a general bias against INFPs because of the stereotypes that portray us. We aren't timebombs or emos or whatever other depreciating label we're boxed under.

The trend among some non-INFPs is to mistype whiny, overly emotional people as INFPs when those people may just as easily be immature, inexperienced, or "unhealthy" (a word I'm beginning to hate because it's not only used in excess in this community but also because its always in correlation with INFPs) persons of another personality type.

Because the MBTI is on the basis of science, the entire theory is a device used to categorize people for practical reasons. However, the trouble with the theory* is that it attempts to categorize people who are both unpredictable and individuals. Thus, no two people in a personality type are alike although there are distinct personality traits within that type.
    ...It's also much easier to bash or demean a group of people/a personality type through gross generalizations instead of trying to understand how a type's functions operate (nudgenudge).

Unfortunately, what we INFPs consider our strengths (reflecting, seeking purpose, being compassionate, obtaining sensitivity) is what others see as our weaknesses. Well, that's up until they have an identity crisis/become emotionally depressed (emotionally LOST!) and need someone to empathize, appreciate, and listen to them with an open heart and mind Who else to call but an INFP?

*I believe in typology and enjoy learning about it, but no theory is perfect, right?

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Thought that was your job ?
    HA!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Nothing said in here is really helpful because it is sooo vague, and about half of it makes me think people are typing other types as INFPs, which I think happens a lot. I think ISFXs and INFJs get mistyped as INFPs a lot.

Like the "whiny" thing. I hardly have a chance to whine because I am always having to listen to other people whine & be handing out sympathy. People dump on INFPs a lot, but apparently INFPs are not allowed to vent. Not to mention, only the most trusted of the trusted will ever hear my real feelings (save the occasional, anonymous, online vent :P).

/whine
    My words exactly.
    *Round of Applause*

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Thats your answer? Its a good try, but I dont believe that you can hate someone and be friends with them at the same time. It just does make sense. Nice back-pedaling though.
    Again: It is my suspicion that you decided to call me whiney because of stereotyping, since my post was not whiney. Of corse I can't prove that...

So youre protective of your unbearably annoying, insufferable, preachy, intolerable and sickening friends? Great for you.
    It's truly sad that MBTI is used not as a means of understanding self, but as a means of generating and perpetuating false steroetypes, of all types, not just infp's...there is not a thread on here that can't be seen in that light.
    Alright. You tell me. What should I say about the INFPs that I know? You give me the opinion I should have.
    Quote Originally Posted by fill View Post
    If you can't consider people's feelings, your logic becomes thinner than paper.
    Good for that

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I love the way you just throw that in there like it's obvious. How does "being ridiculous" work? I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure.
    Um.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Overly sensitive, irrational, respond negatively to reality when it hits them (which absolutely blows my mind), care too much about the most idiotic things (reserve your care for what is important, not for everything), etc.
    Right!

Also, I hear what people are saying in this thread about being annoyed by the tossing around of healthy vs. unhealthy. I have an anxiety disorder that went undiagnosed and untreated until I was almost thirty, so I actually was unhealthy in a very literal sense. Even beyond other types seeing our positives as negatives, I used to mostly just manifest the disadvantages of the INFP stereotype (such as hypersensitivity) without so much of the advantages (such as good empathy). Sorry about forgetting to explain my terms; this seems to be a common problem of mine.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    No. I think there's just a general bias against INFPs because of the stereotypes that portray us. We aren't timebombs or emos or whatever other depreciating label we're boxed under.

The trend among some non-INFPs is to mistype whiny, overly emotional people as INFPs when those people may just as easily be immature, inexperienced, or "unhealthy" (a word I'm beginning to hate because it's not only used in excess in this community but also because its always in correlation with INFPs) persons of another personality type.

Because the MBTI is on the basis of science, the entire theory is a device used to categorize people for practical reasons. However, the trouble with the theory* is that it attempts to categorize people who are both unpredictable and individuals. Thus, no two people in a personality type are alike although there are distinct personality traits within that type.
    ...It's also much easier to bash or demean a group of people/a personality type through gross generalizations instead of trying to understand how a type's functions operate (nudgenudge).

Unfortunately, what we INFPs consider our strengths (reflecting, seeking purpose, being compassionate, obtaining sensitivity) is what others see as our weaknesses. Well, that's up until they have an identity crisis/become emotionally depressed (emotionally LOST!) and need someone to empathize, appreciate, and listen to them with an open heart and mind Who else to call but an INFP?
    I have not yet found any INFP that I don't know too well or here on the forums, except a certain someone (Hint: my last post) a problem. I tend to get along with them quite well as they are usually smart and can bring in a very nice discussion. But the ones who get close to me... they're like "alright, I think I can flash my 'privates' around now and he'll be fine with it." and thus my opinion will go to those that get close to me.

I tend to refer people to the stereotype rather than refer the stereotype to the people. And I would say the stereotype is pretty much the profile of the type.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    INFPs....
    My experience with them is that they can get unbearably annoying when they become a close friend.
    If I tell them they're unbearably annoying they go into sulky, 'I want to be alone' mode.
    I think the reason for the defensiveness is that the implication is that INFP are ok *until* you get close to them and once you do they suck. Isn't that the fear of the "deeper" personality types that don't open up to everyone?

Getting defensive isn't limited to INFPs - ENFPs and INFJs at least I've seen do the same thing on the board when someone says something negative. The truth is that all types do it, they just do it in their own way. INTP, INTJ: "Fk them, I don't care what they say they are dumb" isn't any healthier, it just doesn't seem as whiny.

To other types Raging's quote really just sounds like he had one bad experience with someone he thinks is INFP and wrote them all off. But it says outloud a fear INFPs actually have. "Once I get to know you I don't like you"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

INFP are fun to play with, I actually made several cry. From a point on, though, their "kindness" irritates me.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Really? It seems like a goal of most INFPs. INFPs over the age of 30 seem a lot more palatable, and I suspect it's from a constant self-analysis and striving to meet their idealized self.

Even at 25 I think I am already more likable, or maybe that's an improved self-esteem, which should make me more likable in theory though.
    You're right - there are many types of personal growth, and it was unfair for me to word it like I did. I agree that pretty much all INFPs, assuming they aren't in the throes of Te, question themselves constantly.

However, to grossly simplify what I'm talking about, INFPs often prefer to find more refined answers to the same personal questions. Compare this to people who strive to discover better questions. The latter may make past answers meaningless.

These critique threads disappoint me, because I feel I could rake myself over the coals so much better. It's just a lot of weak, unspecific stuff; even the praise is pretty generic (and notice this thread does not only ask for the negative points).
    That's because we know ourselves better than they do.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    That's because we know ourselves better than they do.
    It would appear so at times, yes...still, i find the perceptions of others to be quite useful in maintaining that. And although it is painful to hear sometimes, I keep in mind who the percon giving me the critiscism is and why they are likely to view me that way...which is harder to do in these kind of threads as you don't know all of them, or their motivations to generalize INFPs in a certain way.

I agree also with the statement that for an INFP it is a fear to not be accepted once they open up, which causes them to stay rather guarded. From their/our side, it kinda feels like nobody really knows how to grasp/handle/respond to/appreciate what's inside without needing to withdraw for fear of being overwhelmed...which is very disappointing and hurtful as you are incredibly vulnerable when you open those floodgates.

Getting to know an INFP intimately is kinda like looking into the sun,shining too brightly, to the point where you cannot stare directly at it without being harmed, causing you to almost turn away automatically. Or being invited to gaze into a deep dark well, you sooo don't wanna fall into...depending on the mood of the INFP
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”