User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    Well, you can't blame other types for playing what is essentially type favoritism. It's natural to think that what's yours is best.

On that note, INFPs cannot be blamed for responding to the claims made by others, nor can the other types be rebuked for making what are perceived as "negative" remarks about INFPs. When people are painted in an unfavorable manner, they naturally wish to defend themselves and "correct" the unflattering comments made about them. These types of threads are inevitably doomed to descend into a state of perpetual contention between the indignant side receiving the critique, and the increasingly annoyed side that delivers it.
    Fair comment.

We do tend to be sensitive to criticism and I am cautious about getting too defensive but I could handle it more if it was more observant and truthful (in fact this goes for positive comments too). I feel like a lot of people read the description for INFP (or any type for that matter) then project the stereotype on to the nearest INFP, in order to then extract their opinion of them. Its a backwards process which fails to result in new or interesting (or realistic) information.

But then this is the general trap that is created by any type theory.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Fair comment.

We do tend to be sensitive to criticism and I am cautious about getting too defensive but I could handle it more if it was more observant and truthful (in fact this goes for positive comments too). I feel like a lot of people read the description for INFP (or any type for that matter) then project the stereotype on to the nearest INFP, in order to then extract their opinion of them. Its a backwards process which fails to result in new or interesting (or realistic) information.

But then this is the general trap that is created by any type theory.
    I don't understand the meaning of your post. In no way was my comment supposed to imply that the Myer-Briggs typology is flawed, or that its descriptions are inaccurate. The theory has its irregularities and gray areas, but type description isn't one of them.

The test's largest (and only, in my opinion) problem area is its rigidity, it isn't versatile enough. Like all other personality tests, it allows people to choose their answers in a preferential manner, which results in some type misplacement. Apart from the lack of nuance and potential for mistype (which is unavoidable, really), it's a pretty solid test.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    I don't understand the meaning of your post. In no way was my comment supposed to imply that the Myer-Briggs typology is flawed, or that its descriptions are inaccurate. The theory has its irregularities and gray areas, but type description isn't one of them.

The test's largest (and only, in my opinion) problem area is its rigidity, it isn't versatile enough. Like all other personality tests, it allows people to choose their answers in a preferential manner, which results in some type misplacement. Apart from the lack of nuance and potential for mistype (which is unavoidable, really), it's a pretty solid test.
    I didn't mean the theory itself is inherently flawed but rather how people apply it. People try to apply type generalisations to those around them, rather than using type theory to explain and understand them. Instead of finding a box that fits people, we take a box that's supposed to fit them and attempt to cram them into it. Of course we all do this and there is some use in it but it can be misleading as you can end up distorting the reality in order to fit the idea.

Sorry, I'm not so great at explaining myself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Oh, interesting about the reasearch. My question with this is that there seems to be always more things to consider or discuss. Why interact with people at all if you can perfectly capture every scenario in your head? This sounds similar to the NT complaining that everthing is mechanical in our bodies so there is no reason to even try because nothing is "real."
    There is always a danger that I will just say "Forget it, it will never be good enough" or "Who cares about what other people think, I know I'm right" and just keep it to myself. I think it's common for INFPs that for each forum post we make, there are probably many more than don't make it past the internal reviewer.
    Probably why INFPs make good hermits too I guess, just happily living within our ideal worlds

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I know several INFP's, and they're like worlds apart.

So I don't have an opinion toward INFP in general.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm an INFP with typical Ne/Fi dominance but I find that I'm usually on strange grounds with other INFPs. I value NFs for their creative ideas but I don't find myself being as people-focused as them. I've read many INFP descriptors and while I do fit them fairly well I don't like it how they're made out to be incredibly fuzzy. I used to fit into that 'INFP nice guy' mold, and in ways I still do but I've found it to be useless and a doormat invitation. Maybe I'm a bit jaded from the times where my INFP selflessness has doomed me but I consciously strive to avoid that particular infp mold and be a bit more set-apart.

My INFP/ENFP friends are always immediately ready to help one person but this neglects something else (another person or objective that needs to be done). I've been on both sides with them, I don't take it personally anymore but I'd wish they'd think before they drop everything they're doing just to help someone to get friend-points (or whatever it is), because when you're the thing they drop you can't help but guess who or what they consider valuable or more important. I hope that made sense.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

It does make sense, and I relate to what you said.

...and you have a lovely avatar.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    It does make sense, and I relate to what you said.

...and you have a lovely avatar.
    haha, thanks. I just started reading his work.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    I'm an INFP with typical Ne/Fi dominance but I find that I'm usually on strange grounds with other INFPs. I value NFs for their creative ideas but I don't find myself being as people-focused as them. I've read many INFP descriptors and while I do fit them fairly well I don't like it how they're made out to be incredibly fuzzy. I used to fit into that 'INFP nice guy' mold, and in ways I still do but I've found it to be useless and a doormat invitation. Maybe I'm a bit jaded from the times where my INFP selflessness has doomed me but I consciously strive to avoid that particular infp mold and be a bit more set-apart.

My INFP/ENFP friends are always immediately ready to help one person but this neglects something else (another person or objective that needs to be done). I've been on both sides with them, I don't take it personally anymore but I'd wish they'd think before they drop everything they're doing just to help someone to get friend-points (or whatever it is), because when you're the thing they drop you can't help but guess who or what they consider valuable or more important. I hope that made sense.
    I think enneagram might be a result of this. Lots of INFPs are enneagram 4's, and the type descriptions are going to be biased based on that. What is your enneagram type? That may give you some insight into why you don't relate.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    XXFP

I'm not sure if it was already said in this thread, but from my perspective (ISTP) INFPs:

- are really nice people
    - genuine
    - appreciate having someone to listen to them, which isn't so bad for ISTP because we generally do that well
    - will have fun with outdoor activities

The main thing that stands out and causes a lot of concern is their inability to remove themselves from bad relationships. It's frustrating to watch. It's like they can't see past conflict or confrontation - so they just stay put in what they would be willing to admit is a bad situation.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.