• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ Compatibility - INFJ's Romantic Match?

Are male INFJ's really that uncommon?

• Yes

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I've dated mostly NTs (ENTP, INTP, INTJx2) with an SJ thrown in there (ISFJ) and currently an ENFJ. I don't know about a "best match" but I can tell you that INTJs didn't work out well for me (they think I'm clingy, I think they're robots). The ISFJ was a really, really good friend (but gay, so you know... the romance was limited). The INTP worked pretty well; we just lost the passion. The ENFJ is amazing, but I don't know that I'd say that we exemplify an ideal type pairing (primarily because I don't believe in such things).

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
From personal experience ENTP and INFJ go together amazingly well. :) Of course in a long term relationship there are certainly other important factors to consider: religious values, views on having children, etc....

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know why I 'forgot' about this (guess it was so long ago!!), but when I was in college I dated an ENTP for 2 months (he self-tested himself as that, and I definitely agree).

It was one of the most effortless *and fun* dating relationships I've ever been in. Unfortunately I was clueless and I didn't know how good it actually was, and dumped him after the 2 months. Sigh. :rolleyes:

:doh: I'd so do it differently if I could go back in time! Not that we'd ultimately work out, because as Liquid Laser said, it takes shared values/religion/other stuff too, but still....

shadowstormz

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't know why I 'forgot' about this (guess it was so long ago!!), but when I was in college I dated an ENTP for 2 months (he self-tested himself as that, and I definitely agree).

It was one of the most effortless *and fun* dating relationships I've ever been in. Unfortunately I was clueless and I didn't know how good it actually was, and dumped him after the 2 months. Sigh. :rolleyes:

:doh: I'd so do it differently if I could go back in time! Not that we'd ultimately work out, because as Liquid Laser said, it takes shared values/religion/other stuff too, but still....

ENTP, eh? I'll have to read up more about that personality type.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Hey!

So I was just wondering if anyone knows the personality types that compliment an INFJ's? I was wondering if the sex of the INFJ or the other personality depends on it and how accurate the compatibility between the two are. I'm not looking for a match online, but I'd find it interesting if there was a specific type.

Please, share thy wisdom. :)

INFJ women might prefer ISTP men.

INFJ men probably prefer ENTJ women.

Scruffy1123

MBTI Type
INFJ
My husband is an ?STJ (probably an E, but hard to tell, and he's gotten both on tests). I'd say we probably fight a lot more than some couples because we think so differently, but we understand each other's situations in a really special way, and when we get past arguing we really contribute a lot to each others' lives. He helps me step out of situations to deal with them rationally, and I bring a little craziness and emotional-ness into his life. And he's one of the only people in my life who I know will always say what he means, nice for someone who worries way too much about how others think about them in relationships.

theshadow

MBTI Type
enfj
From personal experience ENTP and INFJ go together amazingly well. :) Of course in a long term relationship there are certainly other important factors to consider: religious values, views on having children, etc....

Im not Sure That Ive ever recognized an entp female. I would love to though :hi: . Im not sure I could handle an Nt gf though. But a good friend, oh Yah.

Note. Of coarse it the entp was at eest very in touch w/ her emotional side. hmmmm It could work. I watch intj guys. talk emotional even when there not really to girls so they can feel more connected :yes: . I guess this could work with me. IF She were honest about it.

chippinchunk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hey!

So I was just wondering if anyone knows the personality types that compliment an INFJ's? I was wondering if the sex of the INFJ or the other personality depends on it and how accurate the compatibility between the two are. I'm not looking for a match online, but I'd find it interesting if there was a specific type.

Please, share thy wisdom. :)

I read somwhere that INFJ's personality are idealy matched with ENTP.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
INFJ women might prefer ISTP men.

INFJ men probably prefer ENTJ women.

What kind of men do gay INFJ men prefer then? I don't know if that would make a difference or not, as I haven't ever seen the topic discussed.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
What kind of men do gay INFJ men prefer then? I don't know if that would make a difference or not, as I haven't ever seen the topic discussed.

:shock:

I was just wondering that same thing today.

ENTP sounds really good. ENFP maybe.

INTJ is tough because they are so committed and intellectual. If a relationship could work on pure dedication then that would be the match.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm thinking ENTP. There's probably only room for one J type in any relationship I'm in, lol.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I read somwhere that INFJ's personality are idealy matched with ENTP.

Again, I don't particularly believe in using type to choose mates, but I will say that if my ENTP lover hadn't been so self-absorbed and romantically ridiculous (he leans towards polyamory despite his own objections to it), it would probably have been the best relationship I ever had.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I almost completely repeat what the last person said.

I too, am very wary of using the MBTI for match making, but if I did, I'd suggest the ENTP for the INFJ.
I'd also say, avoid your clones and ESTPs(that second letter makes a profound difference).

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I almost completely repeat what the last person said.

I too, am very wary of using the MBTI for match making, but if I did, I'd suggest the ENTP for the INFJ.
I'd also say, avoid your clones and ESTPs(that second letter makes a profound difference).

Why avoid the S? I've had more problems with N types than S types in relationships.

deep rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Why avoid the S? I've had more problems with N types than S types in relationships.

Ns and Ss are on different "wavelengths", and it can be difficult to communicate with each other, because their communication styles are different. It almost feels like the two were raised from other-worldly cultures. So when a S is communicating with a S, or an N is communicating with an N, it will feel like they're both from the same "culture".

When a S is paired with a S, they talk to each other in straightfoward, literal terms. This is very understandable to both.

Ns give off vibes that are more vague, whether it's verbal or not, and because other Ns naturally communicate in this style as well, they're just on the same plane.
To Ss, it can seem like the N is "holding back" on a ton of words (or details) that should "just spill out".

When I learned about the S/N, it made so much sense... the family members I live with are Ss, and my whole life every one of my friends were Ss, except for one N, and she was the only one where I felt we were so "natural" with each other. Even before I knew about the S/N communication, let alone MBTI, I never felt connection with the S friends and family at all. It always felt like they just weren't on the same page as I was. Actually... I always just felt so far away.

But more back on topic - I guess what Magic Poriferan meant was that a relationship can be difficult (or distant) enough when you don't share the S/N trait, let alone every other letter being the opposite.

I've actually heard that an INFJ/ESTP relationship can be very electrifying (in a good way) though. Not saying this is true; just what I've heard. But for a side note, my best romantic connection was with an ESTP.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ns and Ss are on different "wavelengths", and it can be difficult to communicate with each other, because their communication styles are different. It almost feels like the two were raised from other-worldly cultures. So when a S is communicating with a S, or an N is communicating with an N, it will feel like they're both from the same "culture".

When a S is paired with a S, they talk to each other in straightfoward, literal terms. This is very understandable to both.

Ns give off vibes that are more vague, whether it's verbal or not, and because other Ns naturally communicate in this style as well, they're just on the same plane.
To Ss, it can seem like the N is "holding back" on a ton of words (or details) that should "just spill out".

When I learned about the S/N, it made so much sense... the family members I live with are Ss, and my whole life every one of my friends were Ss, except for one N, and she was the only one where I felt we were so "natural" with each other. Even before I knew about the S/N communication, let alone MBTI, I never felt connection with the S friends and family at all. It always felt like they just weren't on the same page as I was. Actually... I always just felt so far away.

But more back on topic - I guess what Magic Poriferan meant was that a relationship can be difficult (or distant) enough when you don't share the S/N trait, let alone every other letter being the opposite.

I've actually heard that an INFJ/ESTP relationship can be very electrifying (in a good way) though. Not saying this is true; just what I've heard. But for a side note, my best romantic connection was with an ESTP.

I understand the S/N difference - I grew up in a family of S types (with the exception of my brother). I just find that there are ways I can connect with an S type - they just don't involve abstract theory or deep rooted discussions. I have enough N type friends to satisfy that sort of need for me, though. For my ISTP boyfriend - we do a LOT of activities together. It helps that I have an athletic bent & can generally keep up with him, but we definitely connect in this way. I also feel he grounds me a bit & get my heads out of the clouds - he gets me out DOING things in the world instead of thinking about the world. Since I have the natural inclination to act upon m thoughts, it's like I get an extra push. We both share a mutual attaction and appreciation for one another & provide one another with stability and loyalty - which is a HUGE core relationship need for the both of us. He's also willing to do things that I enjoy - namely sitting around playing scrabble & doing puzzles (haha) - even though it's not exactly his strength & I am willing to do the same for him. If anything, it's broadening my horizons a bit - and honestly? Learning about how he differs from me & finding ways to connect regardless DOES fulfill some weird INFJ need for me.

In relationships, I've dated only one N (INTP) and while the connection was overwhelmingly amazing, the semantics of a relationship really didn't work out. We wanted different sort of things, which surely happens with anyone regardless of type. I've also been interested in other possible N types, but I've always had the same issue. I find I get more of my core relationship needs fulfilled by S types and while we certainly connect on different levels - I get that abstract intellectual connection with my friends. I don't need it in a relationship to feel fulfilled. This could very well be attributed to needing the sort of things in a relationship that were provided to me by my S type parents, though. My idea of what a relationship should look like has certainly been inadvertantly influenced by them.

I guess I just don't think people should be discredited because of a difference in how each person thinks. If you find yourself an open minded enough S or N, he or she may not see things the same exact way that you do but they will respect you & love you for being who you are regardless of type. Things that ruin a relationship are usually found in ALL types.

I am curious about your relationship with an ESTP. The only ESTP I have regular contact with is my mother - but our relationship with one another seems to be very charged, either extremely good or extremely bad. Regardless, I think we have a pretty solid connection in some weird way. In what way was an ESTP your best romantic connection?

deep rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
I understand the S/N difference - I grew up in a family of S types (with the exception of my brother). I just find that there are ways I can connect with an S type - they just don't involve abstract theory or deep rooted discussions. I have enough N type friends to satisfy that sort of need for me, though. For my ISTP boyfriend - we do a LOT of activities together. It helps that I have an athletic bent & can generally keep up with him, but we definitely connect in this way. I also feel he grounds me a bit & get my heads out of the clouds - he gets me out DOING things in the world instead of thinking about the world. Since I have the natural inclination to act upon m thoughts, it's like I get an extra push. We both share a mutual attaction and appreciation for one another & provide one another with stability and loyalty - which is a HUGE core relationship need for the both of us. He's also willing to do things that I enjoy - namely sitting around playing scrabble & doing puzzles (haha) - even though it's not exactly his strength & I am willing to do the same for him. If anything, it's broadening my horizons a bit - and honestly? Learning about how he differs from me & finding ways to connect regardless DOES fulfill some weird INFJ need for me.

In relationships, I've dated only one N (INTP) and while the connection was overwhelmingly amazing, the semantics of a relationship really didn't work out. We wanted different sort of things, which surely happens with anyone regardless of type. I've also been interested in other possible N types, but I've always had the same issue. I find I get more of my core relationship needs fulfilled by S types and while we certainly connect on different levels - I get that abstract intellectual connection with my friends. I don't need it in a relationship to feel fulfilled. This could very well be attributed to needing the sort of things in a relationship that were provided to me by my S type parents, though. My idea of what a relationship should look like has certainly been inadvertantly influenced by them.

I guess I just don't think people should be discredited because of a difference in how each person thinks. If you find yourself an open minded enough S or N, he or she may not see things the same exact way that you do but they will respect you & love you for being who you are regardless of type. Things that ruin a relationship are usually found in ALL types.

I am curious about your relationship with an ESTP. The only ESTP I have regular contact with is my mother - but our relationship with one another seems to be very charged, either extremely good or extremely bad. Regardless, I think we have a pretty solid connection in some weird way. In what way was an ESTP your best romantic connection?

I also don't think the S/N is pivotal to a relationship. It may surely help, but it's more of the individuals that match, because what makes the bond authentic is the individuals that accept, appreciate, try to understand, and love each other, not types they're under.

With the ESTP, let's just say that if I never met him, I never would have experienced "todays".

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That is what I meant.
I said that because I had just suggested the ENTP.
I thought it might have seemed a little strange that I said to avoid a type with only one letter different.
Hence my comment.

And electrifying is far from the same as successful.

Last edited:

deep rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
That is what I meant.
I said that because I had just suggested the ENTP.
I thought it might have seemed a little strange that I said to avoid a type with only one letter different.
Hence my comment.

And electrifying is far from the same is successful.

Well I think electrifying can be taken in various ways, not just one short term fling way. So, successful... in an electrifying way.

For types, I always thought ENTP was the best for INFJ. But because you define who you are, not your type, IMO it'll mainly come down to the persons themselves that make or break a relationship.