• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Have you felt this way?

enfp1091

MBTI Type
ENFP
Like if everything that you see it's not real. That it might be and illusion or something? It's weird.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
When I was a kid I confided in one of my siblings that I wondered if there was actually a limited number of "people" who were able to morph into other forms and interact with me as other people. Because you really only interact with a certain number of people at a time.

My mistake was that I told this to one of my siblings. I believe my whole family is "S." You can imagine what happened from this, especially with two older brothers. I got teased mercilessly about "blobs that change form"

Little did I know it was actually a good theory.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Like if everything that you see it's not real. That it might be and illusion or something? It's weird.

Occasionally I used to think sometimes that everything I see may seem one way to me, but the picture may totally be different to someone else. But then I solved that mystery when I realized the things I touched matched what I saw. So the combination of the sense of touch along with sight resolved the dilemma.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Occasionally I used to think sometimes that everything I see may seem one way to me, but the picture may totally be different to someone else. But then I solved that mystery when I realized the things I touched matched what I saw. So the combination of the sense of touch along with sight resolved the dilemma.

So S!!! But that's a good thing :)

P

Phantonym

I get a similar feeling once in a while. I kind of like it, though. It's as if you can feel things going in slow motion and you're sort of in-between some "realities" for a split second and then the reality checks in again. Snap. :D

hakuna

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I know what you mean. Plato thought that everything was an illusion and the only 'real' things existed in the world of forms. Not a weird thing for Ns at all, in fact I've had this very conversation with several N friends of mine, some S too, believe it or not.

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
Back when I was a kid those type of thoughts would pop up in my head very often.

Like for example, I was in class one day and I suddenly wondered if all the other kids around me and the desk I sat in wasn't actually there but something created within my head and what I was really doing was wandering around in some void that I unconsciously filled with my imagination...

Never talked about it to anyone before. It was just a passing thought that I forgot about by the next day.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
No, I have the opposite problem. I have an eidetic imagination, so it can be hard for me to tell my memories of daydreams from my memories of actual experiences, except by reasoning through it. (Ghandi died before I was born. Therefore, I have never actually conversed with him, no matter how vivid my recollection.) I have an excess of real-seeming, not a shortage!

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
I once got it in my head that everyone aroud me was, effectively, a cardboard cut out, and there was a large possibility I was one too, or a robot.

That was one bad period. Pretty trippy, it was like my head was short circuiting, phrases like 'this isn't real' would go on repeat, broken record style. Everything got very cold and vacant, and then would flip to being quite scary and manic in my head and back. My short term memory half shut down, I'd know who I thought I was, but forget what I was doing sort of thing.

I guess being emotionally cold can make reality seem...unstuck, sort've likey you're looking at life through the wrong end of a telelscope, not helped by fuzzy logic.

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
^oh wow gandhi! what was the conversation? v interesting.

back in grade 1 i would generally try to be very still and see if this world would slow down and let me go/rise/do something weird/disturb the physics?.

i tried to move into other peoples minds and see how they (outside the bus) would be seeing me and my school bus when stationery (at a crossing) and me staring at them and them looking at me then we both would be the same person! lol i did this with anyone i saw out of the school bus or car window early morning on way to school. interestingly this way i could imagine everyone to be just me looking back at the previous body, everytime i moved from one person to the next the previous person would be in still motion until everything slowed down and stood still. that was the theory. but the problem is everyone kept moving/looking here and there so i couldn't take it too far in my head LOL

i lost this habit/ability by 2nd or 3rd grade. but oddly even today i take the window seat in trains and try to repeat subconsciously a shadow of the above.

hmmm just a thought... maybe thats why people stand still in prayers or funerals... specially funerals... to let the soul depart peacefully and help its detachment by everyone being still!

edit: mabe thats why there are repeat memorial services say for those have died in war, where a large part of a particular area people are still. so as to let the wandering soul cool off the agitation and it be conducive for it to leave the lower astral planes.?? just a thought building on and on..

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^oh wow gandhi! what was the conversation? v interesting.

Ghandi is typically one of the people that I imagine a conversation with when I'm pondering a moral issue around the use of force. I don't need to convince him; I just need to figure out how to express my opinion in a respectable (and respectful) way.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP

It IS just an illusion. What you "see" is what your brain interprets from the electrical impulses it receives from your sense organ (eyes/sight). The REALITY of the world that you see around you is merely ENERGY that is operating at different wavelengths and frequencies. The reality is that everything including yourself and I, is ENERGY. The atom itself is practically hollow(vacuum) with a few electrons coming in and out of our existence, it's not even there 100% of the time.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I learnt about this :D

I used to have a theory when I was a 6 year old kid that whatever I touch I'm not really touching. That there is the tiniest bit of space between you an the object. Or else I would connect with the object. That it is just sense and the possibility that sense is not real and just an illusion.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
^ I learnt about this :D

I used to have a theory when I was a 6 year old kid that whatever I touch I'm not really touching. That there is the tiniest bit of space between you an the object. Or else I would connect with the object. That it is just sense and the possibility that sense is not real and just an illusion.

Intuition at it's finest. Because now we know that's the truth.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
It IS just an illusion. What you "see" is what your brain interprets from the electrical impulses it receives from your sense organ (eyes/sight). The REALITY of the world that you see around you is merely ENERGY that is operating at different wavelengths and frequencies. The reality is that everything including yourself and I, is ENERGY. The atom itself is practically hollow(vacuum) with a few electrons coming in and out of our existence, it's not even there 100% of the time.

This is true...

Could the op elaborate on 'illusion'?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Illusions are nothing more than a lack of understanding of whats behind what you see. So the less you understand a certain things the more it will seem like an illusion.

I dont see things as illusions, I just see them as not yet understood, but whatever it is it works. Somethings I dig into, somethings I dont.

G

Ginkgo

Yes. When I entered High School I started to wonder about that. Sadly, whenever I expressed those opinions to anyone, they thought I was a stoner. :huh:

If you really want to think about it critically, then yes, we do perceive the world as an illusion. When I say this, I mean that we only have a few ways of looking at the universe (the five senses), but we miss information that would be viewed by things like sonar, UV vision, Heat seeking, ect.

Thus, what we think we know about the world only comes from a limited perspective. It is not the full picture.

In addition, the human brain naturally connects patterns where there are none. For instance, a child with an active imagination may think the shadows of branches from outside his window are hands. I believe this kind of mentality is ever present when people claim to see ghosts, demons, UFOs, ect. In fact, they want to see those things.

Don't feel bad. You should know that your theory is the mark of an intelligent person. There are few people who are gifted with such intuition. :)

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
Illusions are nothing more than a lack of understanding of whats behind what you see. So the less you understand a certain things the more it will seem like an illusion.

I dont see things as illusions, I just see them as not yet understood, but whatever it is it works. Somethings I dig into, somethings I dont.

To me illusions (as a stand alone concept) are a smokescreen to the truth, whereby you can understand this fact, and know there can be nothing hidden by an illusion, if that makes sense...ie you see and understand the illusion...Like you can see a magic trick from the side, where if you hang this magical blanket in front of something, it'll look like somthing completely different.You see the magicianholding the blanket, the blanket and the supposed real image, and the real image, or non image (ie nothing). Though this could in itself be an illusion, ie there are also illusions you don't understand(in this case realise are there), like you(poki) said.

But this is more of a theoretical approach, I'd forgotten the op said 'felt'...

OP, we need you!

G

Ginkgo

One more thing: When I was a kid, I often thought that people had different senses because they enjoyed things that I did not. For instance, I hated spinach, but my dad loved it. From this, I concluded that my dad must have different taste buds or something.

Then I started to wonder if the colors I see were actually different for other people, but everyone identified them commonly because they were taught what certain colors were. It's hard to describe fully.

And of course, I often wondered if my (day)dream world was actually a portal to another dimension, viewable by me and me alone. It gave me comfort to think that my imagination was manifesting itself into something tangible. :D