• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Have you felt this way?

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've asked the question countless times. Here's something to disturb your sanity: What if you're entire life controlled, and all the places/people you've never seen or will see simply don't exist? What if all the houses you drive by casually and will most likely never go into are completely empty?

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
From this, I concluded that my dad must have different taste buds or something.

I'd be worried if you really did share taste buds.

Then again...maybe our mouths are really portals to our inner worlds, and the taste buds are merely hand and foot holds illusioning themselves as tastebuds...

EDIT:
Anyone ever tried lucid dreaming?
I've had dreams where I've thought 'this is a dream' and then reasoned that in a dream it's unlikely you realise you're dreaming, and you very much likely wouldn't reason about it, because it takes conscious though, and carried on through the dreams. Which is a tad disconcerting when you wake up.

But when you can run down a street at superspeed, or there are dragon fridges about, it's a little more reassuring that reality is reality :D.

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
Start reading metaphysics. It is all an illusion. Start with "Journey of Souls" at a book store.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
It IS just an illusion. What you "see" is what your brain interprets from the electrical impulses it receives from your sense organ (eyes/sight). The REALITY of the world that you see around you is merely ENERGY that is operating at different wavelengths and frequencies. The reality is that everything including yourself and I, is ENERGY. The atom itself is practically hollow(vacuum) with a few electrons coming in and out of our existence, it's not even there 100% of the time.

I forgot to say that the reason why it's an illusion is because the tools(5 senses) we use to perceive reality are not perfect, for example your eyes/sight can only perceive a limited color spectrum, but through experimentation we find that there is a much broader spectrum of light that we cannot "see" that exists, the universe is probably full of much more than we can perceive using our basic 5 senses, it is only through this limited understanding of the world in which we create the foundations of reality in our minds.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
I forgot to say that the reason why it's an illusion is because the tools(5 senses) we use to perceive reality are not perfect, for example your eyes/sight can only perceive a limited color spectrum, but through experimentation we find that there is a much broader spectrum of light that we cannot "see" that exists, the universe is probably full of much more than we can perceive using our basic 5 senses, it is only through this limited understanding of the world in which we create the foundations of reality in our minds.

I can't imagine anything ever being able to percieve everything, everything seems 'limited'. It feels wrong to say limited, if nothing's understanding is limitless...if that makes sense...

I'd say a jigsaw of assumptions made with human reasoning as apposed to 'illusion', 'illusion' makes it sound like something's being purposefully hidden or altered.

Guh, must dash.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Maybe. Though I guess an imperfect reality is something I work with, because I doubt we'll ever figure out that truth in this lifetime.

Yes. What if someone has ultraviolet vision? :laugh:

This is something I found interesting: Human Vision & Other Species

and

Color Vision by Wiki said:
An object may be viewed under various conditions. For example, it may be illuminated by sunlight, the light of a fire, or a harsh electric light. In all of these situations, human vision perceives that the object has the same color: an apple always appears red, whether viewed at night or during the day. On the other hand, a camera with no adjustment for light may register the apple as having varying color. This feature of the visual system is called chromatic adaptation, or color constancy; when the correction occurs in a camera it is referred to as white balance.

Chromatic adaptation is one aspect of vision that may fool someone into observing a color-based optical illusion, such as the same color illusion.

Though the human visual system generally does maintain constant perceived color under different lighting, there are situations where the relative brightness of two different stimuli will appear reversed at different illuminance levels. For example, the bright yellow petals of flowers will appear dark compared to the green leaves in dim light while the opposite is true during the day. This is known as the Purkinje effect, and arises because the peak sensitivity of the human eye shifts toward the blue end of the spectrum at lower light levels.

Color vision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

========================

Evolution

Color perception mechanisms are highly dependent on evolutionary factors, of which the most prominent is thought to be satisfactory recognition of food sources. In herbivorous primates, color perception is essential for finding proper (mature) leaves. In hummingbirds, particular flower types are often recognized by color as well. On the other hand, nocturnal mammals have less-developed color vision, since adequate light is needed for cones to function properly. There is evidence that ultraviolet light plays a part in color perception in many branches of the animal kingdom, especially insects. In general, the optical spectrum encompasses the most common electronic transitions in matter and is therefore the most useful for collecting information about the environment.

The evolution of trichromatic color vision in primates occurred as the ancestors of modern monkeys, apes, and humans switched to diurnal (daytime) activity and began consuming fruits and leaves from flowering plants.

Some animals can distinguish colors in the ultraviolet spectrum. The UV spectrum falls below the human visible range. Birds, turtles, lizards, and fish have UV receptors in their retinas. These animals can see the UV patterns found on flowers and other wildlife that are otherwise invisible to the human eye. So far, there has not been enough evidence to show that any mammals are capable of UV vision.

UV and multi-dimensional vision is an especially important adaptation in birds. It allows birds to spot small prey from a distance, navigate, avoid predators, and forage while flying at high speeds. Birds also utilize their broad spectrum vision to recognize other birds, and in sexual selection.

Perhaps what we see is only suited to what we can do. (Philosophically and physically.)