half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    jeno, i think she was more reacting to substitutes post, as I did, than to your posts. Maybe we should try to keep the porcupine-reflex to a minimum though, or we'll never get to the bottom of this. We know by now already that we rub each other the wrong way. Perhaps we can try giving each other the benefit of the doubt?

Fwiw, I do agree with Cze Cze's sentiments, but I fear that our different communication styles might've gotten in the way
    Again, I'm confused - directed at me specifically?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Again, I'm confused - directed at me specifically?
    No, directed at all here, including myself. We're never going to get anywhere if we keep getting defensive
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    No, directed at all here, including myself. We're never going to get anywhere if we keep getting defensive
    I was clarifying and explaining in response to a post, which appears to be directed at me, since I was quoted.
    And I was also the one named in the above post.

I agree, defensiveness is not productive.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Amar - thanks for the heads up on the conversation between you and Jeno. I learned from it.

Jeno - dude, get out of my head. I wrote about the inductive thinking for ENFPs yesterday, before I read your message on Amar's wall. Now having read it, it matches what I was saying very closely. Particularly that we need to form our own generalizations from the particular shared instances.

I don't think I agree with ENFPs using inductive reasoning all the time. I pay a lot of attention to what type of reasoning I use, purely from the point of view of intellectual curiosity and I frequently go back and forth. I'd say that in the realm of personal relationships, it's certainly more inductive reasoning. In a way, that makes sense with the general type's programming right? We'll assume the best and even ignore a few instances as outliers until we have enough of an N to form a negative opinion of someone.

Could you give me the source of where you read that? I'd like to read more about it. Thanks.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Amar - thanks for the heads up on the conversation between you and Jeno. I learned from it.

Jeno - dude, get out of my head. I wrote about the inductive thinking for ENFPs yesterday, before I read your message on Amar's wall. Now having read it, it matches what I was saying very closely. Particularly that we need to form our own generalizations from the particular shared instances.

I don't think I agree with ENFPs using inductive reasoning all the time. I pay a lot of attention to what type of reasoning I use, purely from the point of view of intellectual curiosity and I frequently go back and forth. I'd say that in the realm of personal relationships, it's certainly more inductive reasoning. In a way, that makes sense with the general type's programming right? We'll assume the best and even ignore a few instances as outliers until we have enough of an N to form a negative opinion of someone.

Could you give me the source of where you read that? I'd like to read more about it. Thanks.
    I'm almost positive I read it in "Please Understand Me II" by David Kiersey.
    Hey, and trip out - great minds think alike once again!

MBTI
    GONE

Hey Jeno, my post wasn't all directed at you specifically, though it did create a platform for me to address some more general issues/points. No, I haven't followed your wall conversations - I generally don't follow those and consider those "offline" from forum posting.

I have been loosely following the posts in this thread (there are a lot of them!), but honestly even from what I've read of what you've posted just *here* in this forum you do seem to have a bone to pick with /people who are ENFP/ IRL.

I understand venting, but my frustration with this is that I really feel some members, even some types, really push and push other members on the forum almost to apologize for the behavior of people that we don't even know as "one of our own". That's really how it comes off to me at the end of the equation.

I've been on the forum for a minute now and honestly, I can only take so much whether or not it is ostensibly directed at "me" personally or the general "me". Every once in a while I'm going to get frustrated and make a little announcement, and that's what I was doing.

Thanks for clarifying what you meant by "honest truth", from reading that specific post and having read the previous few pages I didn't read anything that stated clearly (at least to me) that you also see "truth" as relative personal truth (maybe this is not how you'd word it, but you get what I mean?)

But whether or not I misinterpreted your specific comment, it was a launching point for me to address a sentiment and attitude IRL that people sometimes have.

I do want to make clear though - while I was not singling you out Jeno and directing my post to you specifically, I do stand by everything I said and no other ENFP speaks for me. If any other person apologizes for being defensive or over-reacting, they are speaking for themselves, not me.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Fair enough and point taken. Thanks for taking the time to clarify, as I was truly confused.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze
    I have fought a long and good fight to be where I am today where I can own and defend my emotions and feel I have a right to them, and I will damned if anyone tries to invalidate them or me because it's not how they live.
    I like this Tertiary Te usage. It's the most ENFP thing I've seen in the forums all day!

I think a lot of what the difference between "over-sensitive" and the ability (or distinction) of controlling one's own sensitivity, and the struggles that can ensue, seem to be the difference between ENFPs who utilize their secondary function more often on a general basis, due to it being encouraged through circumstance more than the oft times more comfortable extraverted functions at the ENFP's disposal. Just like how my Ni and Fi will work together to spin me around in never-never land unless I "DO SOMETHING" in the real world with extraverted thinking (which always feels like a chore for me, not having as much extrovert experience in my life), with an extrovert it's going to be the flip side of that, an ENFP's extraverted functions being Ne, the ability to see connective reasoning in life, the universe, and everything...and Te, the ability to DO SOMETHING about the connective reasoning you have witnessed. Keep in mind however, that just like the introvert spiral can spin me too deep into myself if I'm not careful, the extroverted spiral between those two functions has the potential to spin you AWAY from yourself, from your internal Fi (which, I imagine, for ENFPs must seem just as much of an emotional chore as my Te is a rational one)

At least, that's the going theory? Discuss.

P.S. never my intention to offend any pedagogues, take all of this with a grain of salt! Most of it comes from the book "Personality Type - An Owner's Manual"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

ahem, I've noticed a mistake in the above post.

Fi, in fact, being a database of "subjective life experience", although often more abstracted/emotional than Te, is in fact a rational function.

It's just not a logical one!

MBTI
    eNFp

Default I hate being an enfp

I hate being an enfp. We are not understood. SF's can partially relate to us, ST's can only take us in small doses (and think we're crazy), NT's find us fascinating at first then find us too needy. I hate being an enfp.