• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Hate an ENFP? Tell us why!

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION]

Ah, I read past the mention of unhealthy, thought you were adressing ENFP's as a group. My bad.

Still, that just means that you were saying something negative about unhealthy ENFP's. Everyone can say negative things about someone that is unhealthy though, so your first sentence threw me off. :tongue:

Yah i just think this one is fairly common for this type.

In unhealthy mode, and more prone to it.

EDIT: Haha, I won't change it but i wanted to say ^^WOW! my sentence structure rocks.

Kelly777

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know an enfp. He constantly whines about his personal problems. The truth is he makes bad decisions and everyone warns him to think things through but that only makes him more stubborn. He can't hold a job. His relationships are disasters. But most frustrating is that he is dishonest, manipulative and passive-aggressive. I actually liked him quite a lot before getting closer to him. I had to shut him out.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol. Just keep this business running. Let's keep making generalizations to overshadow amazing individuals who are the complete opposite of the people you dislike so much if you even correctly typed them.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My mom is an ENFP. I like her

skippythecat

Enneagram
9w1
I don't remember if I post in here or not, but I don't hate them. However, I find this behavior to be common among enfps: comparison of problems. I really hate that. Stop the victim mentality. Please. Just stop and listen.

Kelly777

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol. Just keep this business running. Let's keep making generalizations to overshadow amazing individuals who are the complete opposite of the people you dislike so much if you even correctly typed them.

The ENFP I mentioned took an mbti test and very much matches the descriptions. I never identify someone by their type unless they have taken the test. Even then, it's tentative as it's easy to mistype. I don't think all ENFPs would behave this way. He has had some significant set backs in life and I think it has somewhat stunted his character developement. Also, I'm an INFJ. Even though I 've read some material saying the two types are compatible, there are definitely some challenges! Lastly, he broke up with me recently in a very immature way and it ended badly. So, I'm still bitter toward him. Not all ENFPs. Just him.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't remember if I post in here or not, but I don't hate them. However, I find this behavior to be common among enfps: comparison of problems. I really hate that. Stop the victim mentality. Please. Just stop and listen.

Fwiw, this could be a miscommunication - ENFPs tend to empathise by sharing similar stories, by associating them to their own experience, to show the other person that you're not alone. Another possibility is that they're not aware that you're actually needing to talk about this, but are just venting and that this is a 'mutual' griping session in which they can join in.

It's usually not meant to be competitive in any way and if you indicate that with 'listen, can I just talk to you about this incident for a sec?', they tend to be happy to oblige. If you point out the pattern to them, in a neutral, observational way, they might be incredibly embarrassed and defensive for a sec, but most look out for those situations in the future and adjust accordingly.

I honestly don't mean this to dismiss your gripe with our kind or to excuse it away, as it is legit - it is just meant as a tool to hopefully resolve these types of situations when they're in progress.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Fwiw, this could be a miscommunication - ENFPs tend to empathise by sharing similar stories, by associating them to their own experience, to show the other person that you're not alone. Another possibility is that they're not aware that you're actually needing to talk about this, but are just venting and that this is a 'mutual' griping session in which they can join in.

It's usually not meant to be competitive in any way and if you indicate that with 'listen, can I just talk to you about this incident for a sec?', they tend to be happy to oblige. If you point out the pattern to them, in a neutral, observational way, they might be incredibly embarrassed and defensive for a sec, but most look out for those situations in the future and adjust accordingly.

I honestly don't mean this to dismiss your gripe with our kind or to excuse it away, as it is legit - it is just meant as a tool to hopefully resolve these types of situations when they're in progress.

I totally relate to this. And that's such a great point in this being a simple miscommunication. I'm sure most spats between types stem from this. What I perceive as a personal attack, is sometimes none other than an observation coming from the view of that other type for example.

This also aligns with another common stereotype (less so on this forum thankfully, but on Google) that ENFPs wear their emotions on their sleeve. I won't go so far as saying this is a ploy, we may appear to be manipulative with this tactic, but it's all in the service of being able to connect with others more easily. I almost always bring my own personal experience into the conversation, and sort of meet the other person on mutual, emotional grounds. What I'm not telling others though, is my true, deeper feelings and insecurities. That's reserved for our most inner circle of friends. None of this is planned out and done so in a scheming sort of way, it must just be something young ENFPs learn over time as a way to better communicate with others. If it's blatantly obvious the session is meant to be a rant or just spilling emotions onto the floor, then I won't do it, and just let the other person vent. But my natural inclination is to share my experiences too.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Not everything has to be complementary or taken to heart. Sometimes hearing unpleasant things about how people see your "type" can lead to some aha moments.

Yes. Generalizations will be in play as this site is full of them but I hope those amazing individuals would be able to take this thread in stride. Recognize what reflects them and what does not.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The whole ADHD thing is generally pretty hard to deal with when it happens. (and ENFPs are prone to have such moments)

skippythecat

Enneagram
9w1

I can understand if it's a miscommunication and I'm willing to give the benefit out doubt. In my case I didn't feel like it was miscommunication.

My friend and I were talking about being single and hoping to get marry in our late 20's. She's 29 and I'm 26. In this conversation I was explaining my perspective of being single and the grieving of seeing my friends moving into marriage is part of life (basically we're updating our life). She can relate. I don't remember what I said and it has nothing to do with apathy towards her, but she had basically said "you don't know what it means to be single because you're only 26 and I'm 29" (paraphrasing). It was in a bitter attitude. I know she struggles being one of the last of her crew to get marry but it was unacceptable to talk to me that way. It came off as comparing the "single pain". My feelings aren't as important as her because she's been single longer.

My co-worker and I were talking about busy schedule. I had mention I needed to get up early to do something and she interrupted me, "pfft. I have to get up at 4:30am, get breakfast for my son and drop him off at 7:30am for school, and run errands all day" something along those line. To me, it came off as "you think you got it bad? I'll explain how busy and tiring I'm going to be." Okay, I stop sharing. You don't need to be rude by interrupting.

I love these two ladies and they're respectful people, but don't think you can disrespect me with your self-pity mentality that you got it bad. I don't have a problem with self-pity from time to time, but if you choose to say in it it will affect you. I apologize if my attitude rubs you the wrong way. Not my intention.

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Anyone else ever been stood up repeatedly by an ENFP (I think) "date"?

Then tried to confront him/her about it, only to get some lame excuse for them forgetting about you that's delivered with those puppy-dog eyes, so you decide to give them another chance? Then they forget about you AGAIN?

I'm laid-back, I'm NP, I'm not a stickler for tightly maintained schedules. But goddamnit if you say you're going to be around at 10:00, goddamn BE AROUND AT 10:00!

;)

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's funny when I see people calling us ENFPs clingy.

You might want to recheck their type because we're known to be too distracted/independent to remain fully in a relationship let alone be clingy lmao.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's one ENFP on the forum who I do miss talking to, but I don't want to annoy him. Not sure how to open up a dialogue with an ENFP who has a lot on his plate, so it's awkward.
No hate, just confusion.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Nørrsken;2841118 said:
There's one ENFP on the forum who I do miss talking to, but I don't want to annoy him. Not sure how to open up a dialogue with an ENFP who has a lot on his plate, so it's awkward. No hate, just confusion.
Oh, they'll burn out eventually... Then shut out everyone around them while they recoup, and do it all over again... Kidding! Boy, that'd be a crappy life. Well... OK, I could use a breather myself from time to time haha. *nervously laughing*

You know what though, just tell him you miss him, simple yet effective. It's easy to fall into the trap of wanting to do all that life possibly has to offer, to over commit, to over extend, but shoot, when a good friend calls out, we'll put on the brakes :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I'm not an ENFP, but I relate to this, and sometimes after I do it I wonder about it. When it comes to vulnerability and personal pain I don't like to say "I know how you feel" because that comes across to me as dismissive. By sharing something specific from my life I am letting them decide how much I 'know' how they feel or if it helps to connect. It is a way to meet at the same level.

I have some defensive against the idea of people assuming to understand personal experience if they don't. It isn't always about my own situation because I want to be consistent about it regardless which side of the coin I'm on. For example, I know people with extreme chronic physical pain, and while I have had some in the past, I know when someone is dealing with a lot more than I am. I don't want to relate an experience like saying, "oh yes, I've had headaches, but boy I never missed work" (Not true of me - had headaches, but did miss work, etc). I use that as an example because while you are sharing a personal experience, it doesn't match someone with debilitating pain, so it can be dismissive. It is better to say, "oh yes, I've had headaches, and even though mine weren't of the debilitating nature as others, I experienced enough pain to know it is nothing to mess around with," or something along those lines. I try to demonstrate enough personal experience or something to describe why I acknowledge or respect what they are describing.

Very bad pain is confusing and alienating even to rather nice people. People who have gone through difficult things learn that you can't talk about it or there is a bad social result. By sharing a personal experience, you are saying that it is comprehended and safe to describe the pain. People with horrible physical pain learn that often those without it cannot converse without being dismissive. People who have been abused or molested learn that many people who haven't will tend to have little judgments about it to subconsciously try to feel safer. It's true of all pain - that people who are innocent of it have a tendency to dismiss it even with the best intentions. This is not true of everyone, but it is a general tendency for people.

I think sometimes people do compete about personal pain as they share references, but I've also noticed that it tends to be people who's pain has not been validated in their life. There was a lady who made the headache reference I described above, and even though she likely didn't have the extreme chronic pain issue, I have noticed in her subtext that she has had personal pain that no one ever talks about or acknowledges. So, even when it feels like someone is competing, there can be a legitimate reason behind that. I don't think people are usually saying 'my pain is worse', but rather 'my pain was real'.

FBUser9297

Lol @ all the complaints, so melodramatic. I don't care what type of personality you have, you're going to be annoying to someone. I was annoyed by a lot of these generalized complaints. Didn't have a good experience with the ENFP's you've met, make sure to judge them all! How do you even know what they are anyway. Is that the first thing you ask?

This whole concept isn't even completely valid. You can get different results on different occasions all the while being the same person. What exactly does it measure if not general traits which I find most people are capable of possessing in intervals. I've met someone who was an ISTJ or TP, I never met a person more full of drama. Everyone I introduced her to thought she was insane. That was part of her charm, the intrigue. The balls to say and do things that I've been taught are inappropriate and not well mannered. Though we stopped being friends in the long run because she did something that showed her to be untrustworthy and I can't be good friends with someone I wouldn't trust.

I don't know what to make of all this other than people can either see it as another barrier like the difference in skin colour. Or use it to learn to be more open to the fact that everyone's brain functions in a unique way from their own. That I'm sure we can all appreciate even no one can be fully understood. I've never met a person who fit neatly into one category. Even with mental health issues, usually makes the brain more complex. This is the only way I can understand how someone can be married and live with a person for 10 years and discover they didn't know them at all. Or how those pretend to be one way but really underneath it all they're someone completely different.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am speaking of one in real life: too loud, dramatic and flamboyant.