User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    infj

Default Voicing your Thoughts

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new here, so apologies if someone's already posted on this topic in the past. My question is this:

Do you find it easy to verbalize your thoughts? In my case, the patterning/processing of my thoughts tend to occur on a highly experiential level, sort of like landscapes of opinions and emotions, and only occasionally in a more verbal, word-based form.

Because of this, when someone asks me for my opinion on something or the dreaded "What are you thinking right now," I need to spend a bit of time "translating" my ideas into something readily understandable by anyone else. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to push things through that mental filter, so I give the stock response of "nothing much," when that is really quite far from the case.

MBTI
    INTP

I really don't think about anything.

MBTI
    infj

That'd be refreshing. Thinking about nothing for a bit.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I find it easy to express mostly anything I think; I also think Ti-style all the time, without being able to stop it for more than 20-30 minutes a day. Most everything that I think is already in my head in readily expressible form, so it's just a trivial exercise to actually bring it up.

Ne kind of things, I recognize, are less understandable to many people (and that's one of my strong functions), and I feel that something is lost in translation from head -> world. I can express and give ideas that relate to the thing I want to say, but I have to bounce the ideas a bit with the person to make sure that I communicated it in a way that he understood.

Fi, I bring this up verbally with Ti style mostly, in an analyzing way. But I bring it up mostly non-verbally, when I feel like it. I don't express my feelings often, but I almost always recognize person's feelings when I see them (their non-verbal clues) and somehow that seems to trigger my understanding of their feelings.

So I'd say that ability to express depends on the function used to express the subject matter, and the persons proficiency and preference for said function.

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Verbalizing is really hard for me. I understand so many things based on my intuition but without knowing how to describe or explain. That is so freaking frustrating. Plus I "think" outloud and it takes me a while to actually figure out what I am wanting to say and it takes an interesting journey to get there,lol.

If I am with someone who is good at helping to organize my thoughts and rephrase things I am saying in a more precise and condensed way- then it is easier for me to understand how I am being understood or misunderstood and it's like I need what I am saying to be a group effort,lol.

When I speak I tend to be so abstract so it takes someone perhaps with good intuition themselves to understand me and help me along.

I am much better at writing my thoughts and ideas down on paper- but sometimes it takes too much effort and time to write and I lose patience and want to develop my verbalizing skills or lack there of more.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INFJ

Verbalizing is extremely hard for me. Usually when someone puts me on the stop, I have trouble saying ANYTHING so then I look unintelligent or uncaring. If I am active in a verbal conversation, I usually have to sit back for the beginning of it and then jump in once I have a good grasp on what I want to say.

However, writing is a whole 'nother story! I can write novels explaining what's in my head if it's on paper or on the computer.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by shimsham View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Do you find it easy to verbalize your thoughts? In my case, the patterning/processing of my thoughts tend to occur on a highly experiential level, sort of like landscapes of opinions and emotions, and only occasionally in a more verbal, word-based form.
    I identify very much with your landscape analogy.

It's almost like I have a million things going on at once, and all of the thoughts kind of flow, and they keep flowing, and once I've come to a conclusion, or solidified something in my mind, my word-based form doesn't even do it justice, because it is only a 2-sentence 'summary' of my conclusion, and it would be absolutely impossible to verbalize everything I was thinking/feeling, in order to get to that conclusion.

I also definitely don't have a point A-->point B--> point C thought process. It's more that point A goes to 10 different points, and some of those sub-points can wrap around to point B, and other sub-points get disregarded, and others form other sub-points that then jump on to point D....etc. This also makes it nearly impossible to *explain* my thoughts on something. I'd probably have to write a book. ;-)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    When I speak I tend to be so abstract so it takes someone perhaps with good intuition themselves to understand me and help me along.
    I have this issue, too.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post

I also definitely don't have a point A-->point B--> point C thought process. It's more that point A goes to 10 different points, and some of those sub-points can wrap around to point B, and other sub-points get disregarded, and others form other sub-points that then jump on to point D....etc. This also makes it nearly impossible to *explain* my thoughts on something. I'd probably have to write a book. ;-)
    YES!

Do you get afterthoughts a lot? I'll explain something and then 5 minutes later realize that I need to say more to further explain my abstract thoughts or sometimes I'll have thought up a new perspective. So I'll be compelled to continue a discussion further & normally at that point, the discussion's ended. There's a better way to explain an afterthought, but I can't seem to articulate it properly right now.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirl View Post
    Do you get afterthoughts a lot? I'll explain something and then 5 minutes later realize that I need to say more to further explain my abstract thoughts or sometimes I'll have thought up a new perspective. So I'll be compelled to continue a discussion further & normally at that point, the discussion's ended. There's a better way to explain an afterthought, but I can't seem to articulate it properly right now.
    Yep, I do this all the time. In fact, I do this rather often over email!