User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: spidey sense

MBTI
    infj

Default spidey sense

hello everyone, im new to the forum as a member but i have been reading some posts for about a week now....im a bit shy but i've decided to "stick my toe in the water"

i was just wondering..does anyone else (infj or otherwise) experience what my friends call my "spidey sense" ...
    ugh.. i feel crazy for even typing this but its something that I've been able to do as long a i remember.. when some walks to my front door.. i can.. tell who it is just by their foot steps or..i can "feel" them.. the older i get (23) the stronger that abilty has gotten, to the point where i can call friends or my roommates and tell them what there doing in their own rooms..
    crazy right lol or telling my friends in a bored monotone voice who's about to call them, maybe 5 seconds before their cell ring. calling friends that were just in car accidents. i just "feel" people and it makes going into crowed places suffocating because i "feel" everyone at once.

has anyone else had that happen? or what has been your "strangest" occurrence? if your willing to share..

im really thankful that there is a forum like this and i hope to meet some intelligent thoughtful people

PS: i don't see dead people

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Welcome to the forum

And what you're describing sounds very INFJ to me I used to have an INFJ friend who'd do the same kinds of things. It bordered on creepy at times
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ENFP

I feel that sometimes, but probably not as much as an INFJ would. Once the phone rang and I knew someone died, turned out it was the principle telling us my PE had died in a car crash.

My father's an INFJ and when a relative dies he dreams of blood- pretty creepy.
    Holy sh**t a talking muffin!

All shotguns and lace.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

introverted intuitives are the most psychic types. I wanna see that 5 seconds before someone calls things in action.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Ni isn't literally psychic...it just puts abstract connections in interpretation together more quickly than the conscious judging process can organize them.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Ni isn't literally psychic...it just puts abstract connections in interpretation together more quickly than the conscious judging process can organize them.

That's the rational way of putting it. When we know something happens without explaining why how can we prove whether our subconscious was putting things together, or whether it was a psychic phenomenon. Everyone has had experiences with this, and how we interpret it is just as important as what is "really going on" since we can never know that. In my experience some people seem all too eager to place things on the mystical, and some all too eager to go with the rational route.

I mean, if you heard his example he was talking about knowing a phone was going to ring. Or someone was coming, perhaps his brain picked up on the signals, but isn't that the same thing as psychic? I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive since we as humans don't really know how the brain works to begin with, or what lies beyond the version of 'objective reality' that we all agree exists, and that we all share. Perhaps for a more rational type the idea that things may not work out to logic can be scary, and to more feeling types it can be comforting. It all is based on how we perceive the world around and in us, and everyone is capable of perceiving it all if you want to in my opinion.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

What simulatedworld said. Sometimes I'll get an instinctive feeling out of nowhere that hits my gut and my head with a warning of... something. If I ruminate on it in an attempt to analytically disperse it, then instead it resonates and magnifies like microphone feedback, until it overwhelms me. But that doesn't mean that it's right; it just means that it's there. I've learned to just ignore those sensations, as my social awareness is typically more useful. As my (atypical) tertiary function, Ni has a valued place in my life, but that isn't it.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by kryten5786 View Post
    hello everyone, im new to the forum as a member but i have been reading some posts for about a week now....im a bit shy but i've decided to "stick my toe in the water"

i was just wondering..does anyone else (infj or otherwise) experience what my friends call my "spidey sense" ...
    ugh.. i feel crazy for even typing this but its something that I've been able to do as long a i remember.. when some walks to my front door.. i can.. tell who it is just by their foot steps or..i can "feel" them.. the older i get (23) the stronger that abilty has gotten, to the point where i can call friends or my roommates and tell them what there doing in their own rooms..
    crazy right lol or telling my friends in a bored monotone voice who's about to call them, maybe 5 seconds before their cell ring. calling friends that were just in car accidents. i just "feel" people and it makes going into crowed places suffocating because i "feel" everyone at once.

has anyone else had that happen? or what has been your "strangest" occurrence? if your willing to share..

im really thankful that there is a forum like this and i hope to meet some intelligent thoughtful people

Actually I know what you mean. It has happened to me a number of times where I just 'know' something or I state something and it happens. But it wouldn't occur in a very common manner you seem to describe. Strange coming from an INtJ but I like to get in touch with the supernatural every once in a while. But only when I have my sentimental spasms.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Spot on.

(And welcome, Kryten, to the forums. Small world, hmm? I might live a few minutes away from you. )

I actually undergo similar experiences, and as SW indicates, I believe the psychic aspect is due how I perceive miles faster than what I could express in words, or by any external means. I am also good at interpreting subconscious meanings such as the subtle associations people tend to make with advertisements, objects, etc.

What I think you're doing is reading the hidden context behind someone's actions and solidifying it with your existing knowledge of these individuals. If a person is stomping near the front door, we could assume that either he or she is tired, overweight, angry and so on. If this happens near midnight, then someone's probably had quite a night out.

I'd say you know them so well you could immediately guess what they're doing. For myself, I'm typically on the computer, in class or the library, and assuming I would be doing either of those is a good estimate.

crazy right lol or telling my friends in a bored monotone voice who's about to call them, maybe 5 seconds before their cell ring. calling friends that were just in car accidents.

i just "feel" people and it makes going into crowed places suffocating because i "feel" everyone at once
    Voice tone. Cue words. Facial expressions. Body movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatman455 View Post
    I mean, if you heard his example he was talking about knowing a phone was going to ring. Or someone was coming, perhaps his brain picked up on the signals, but isn't that the same thing as psychic? I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive since we as humans don't really know how the brain works to begin with, or what lies beyond the version of 'objective reality' that we all agree exists, and that we all share. Perhaps for a more rational type the idea that things may not work out to logic can be scary, and to more feeling types it can be comforting. It all is based on how we perceive the world around and in us, and everyone is capable of perceiving it all if you want to in my opinion.
    These are the sort of associations that Ni does naturally, and if someone wants to believe this skill qualifies as 'psychic'... then so be it. I much rather define it as the skill of reading implicit signals, or Spidey Sense without the magic. Just because we cannot explain our perceptions doesn't necessarily imply it's an extrasensory power.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Consider yourself lucky.