12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Default What are an INFP's strengths?

Formerly the "Do INFPs Make Good Counselors?" Thread.

Or is this more the true strong point of the NFJ?

Has anyone ever had an NFP counselor? How would a counseling experience with an NFP differ from that of one with an NFJ?

What are the strengths of an INFP?
    Last edited by TheEmeraldCanopy; 09-17-2009 at 11:06 PM.
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

A family counselor I went to is INFP. He did an excellent job.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Ginkgo

INFP advice is "informing", while INFJ advice is "directing".

INFPs give multiple options to those they counsel, while INFJs offer the best option.

Male INFPs are overrepresented in psychologist field.

Both types usually adore the subjects of psychology and communication, as do I.

Those are the main differences that I can think of. The counseling skill of a person should not reside in their type, but within their experience and education.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Spaghetti View Post
    Or is this more the true strong point of the NFJ?

Has anyone ever had an NFP counselor? How would a counseling experience with an NFP differ from that of one with an NFJ?
    I think any NF would make a great counselor.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

I'm just trying to figure out what INFPs would be most useful at in terms of contributing to society. It seems NFJs are incredible at bringing out the best in people and truly listening.

What are the strengths of the INFP?
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFP

Well the INFPs I know have great and well formulated concepts on what is going on. They are usually positive towards others in interaction and can really get to the core of issues they choose to focus on. Sometimes they are not open enough towards other people's ideas, but I think it is all about approaching them the correct way.

Also INFPs if committed to a job can be very loyal, I also once read somewhere (I can't remember where) that they tend to be good at choosing "deputies" to cover their weaknesses.

Really I think a lot of the strengths are shared across all NFs. I don't think just NFJs are good at listening and bringing out the best in people. Counseling is a great job for INFPs. I think creative fields are good too.

The key to INFP is that they are open in a certain way with their advice towards the other person. They really can help the other person in the way they need, rather than being bossy or over aggressive with their advice. Rarely have I heard an INFP just offer up some serious advice, suggestions, or perceptions that someone didn't want to hear. I don't know if you can say the same about the ENFs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Goatman455 View Post
    The key to INFP is that they are open in a certain way with their advice towards the other person. They really can help the other person in the way they need, rather than being bossy or over aggressive with their advice. Rarely have I heard an INFP just offer up some serious advice, suggestions, or perceptions that someone didn't want to hear. I don't know if you can say the same about the ENFs.
    I did not know better when I was immature. I carefully align my advice with what the listener can hear because the consequences of overreaching are painful to me, so I adjusted. I'm just saying because you might find the why interesting.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I would think that ENFPs would be awesome at coaching due to their boundless enthusiasm, ENFJs would be awesome at groupcounselling (family counselling), INFJs probably great at helping people achieve goals and overcoming a mental illness (shrink), addiction etc, whereass the INFP would be best at for instance grief counselling, dealing with abuse, etc as intense emotions are their field of expertise...
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    INFP advice is "informing", while INFJ advice is "directing".

INFPs give multiple options to those they counsel, while INFJs offer the best option.
    INFJs may give the best option based on their opinion and what is considered appropriate in general.

I think that an INFP strength is offering multiple solutions, and gently guiding people in making a good decision. INFPs are referred to as "healers" and I think healing involves helping someone get over past hurt so they can move forward on their own. By presenting multiple options, a person learns to choose for themselves & it teaches them reasoning skills & how to deal with their own emotions positively.

I think all NFs may try & help people see something from a different angle in order to cope. Not to downplay INFJ strengths, but they can come off as bossier than an INFP and less compassionate to a person's feeling. An INFP is less likely to invalidate a feeling, IMO. INFJs sometimes want to jump to a solution too fast & fix everything, when often, someone just needs a listening ear because they actually know what to do, but they are immobilized by emotion. On the other hand, INFJs may be more likely to give someone the kick in the butt they need to get going.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Can't say on this specific career, but INFP's really seem to go to whatever lengths necessary when they find within themselves the passion ignited by knowledge that they are making a positive change for a cause. This deep devotion to a cause can surely be a strength in a counseling career. Perhaps with the disadvantaged or neglected. Just my feeling.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism