User Tag List

123 Last

Default INFJ physicians around?

hey, im infj wondering about becoming a doctor... there are obvious things in the profession which appeal to me - however, i have some concerns with the rather strong Sensing aspect of the work detail...

so are there any infj's around who are doctors? and who can tell me how they experience it?

thanks a bunch!
    "It is only in folk tales, children's stories, and the journals of intellectual opinion that power is used wisely and well to destroy evil. The real world teaches very different lessons, and it takes willful and dedicated ignorance to fail to perceive them."

- Noam Chomsky

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Honestly, I think being a doc means being able to balance S/N preferences, well. I think a well developed N is pretty valuable in medicine. Giving treatment to a patient is very much about seeing what's good for the patient in the long run. What long term effects will this or that treatment have? It's tremendously important to be able to see the bigger picture here. Cause that's your intent as a doctor, right? To try to ensure the patient a life beyond today and tomorrow. In crisis management, it's crucial to act on the here and now, emergency situations. However, with no insight to the impact of ones "emergency actions", a new crisis will soon appear on the horizon.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Also, go for it! What kind of specialty? I mean, if you're gonna be a dentist, maybe a lean towards S can't hurt. A lean towards N, might.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I see no reason why an INFJ couldn't be a grand doctor. You guys are like the archetypal healer. I'm afraid I can't be much more help than that, but this place is crawling with INFJs and I'm sure they'll be able to answer your questions soon enough
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    HUMM

I'm an ENFP/INFP, and I'm supposed to be doing my homework now (it's still homework only it's not called that anymore), but I'll give my $0.02.
    Try not to ignore the fact that there is a lot of Sensing involved, but most times it can be overcome. E.g. for me listening to heart murmurs on a stethoscope was ridiculously hard. When I first started doing that I had trouble just LISTENING carefully to the rhythm and rate, instead of thinking of all the various types of murmurs, their etiologies etc. I had to literally tune myself into the stethoscope. It just takes more effort.
    And hospitals are pretty grim places. It's like seeing broken toys all around that cannot always be fixed. And the toys are sad and want to be fixed. It's an effort getting used to fighting losing battles.
    On the up side, I get steelier, I grow a spine. Still soft and easily flattened underneath though
    ain't over till it's over.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by intuitiveadrenalinejunkie View Post
    hey, im infj wondering about becoming a doctor... there are obvious things in the profession which appeal to me - however, i have some concerns with the rather strong Sensing aspect of the work detail...

so are there any infj's around who are doctors? and who can tell me how they experience it?

thanks a bunch!
    Hey, I'm in the same position as you. I also want to study medicine.

I think much of it goes into what kind of medicine you want to practice. I want to go into trauma medicine.

How about you?
    Yes, I take it with no cream and no sugar.

And yes, some of us drink it bitter.

thanks all for replies so far. lot of good insight.

what i was getting most at, though, was — and this is where i might (and in fact hope to) be wrong — that the day-to-day work of being a doctor involves a lot of "sensing" information, ie. physical symptoms, reading of charts and whatnot, and listening to stetoscopes and counting heartbeats (as was mentioned). im actually afraid to get bored! i mean, if it's like that all day—from one stetoscope to the next—i might feel frustrated for not having room to get into ... i dont know what, the spiritual side (?) or emotional side of it? dont get me wrong (i know it's hard—highly confused individual speaking), but i dont want to become a psychologist or anything like that. i'm interested in studying medicine because of the "human" side of it, the "healing" (as someone put it) or the caring about others. // incurably idealistic, i was long thinking to write—ie. write screenplays, meddle in art in general—but i have (nearly) come to the conclusion that there will be the direct element of caring/helping others missing. (does anyone else identify with this? on a sidenote, that is.) // so all that sounds well and good, the only thing that's "wrong" with the picture, is the appearantly inordinate amount of "sensing" work...

would love to get some (more) feedback from a physician (and others!). the more i talk about it, the more i'm suspecting that i might be mistaken and that, being who i am (in this case, INFJ), i'll simply have my own approach to practicing medicine. but i still have to listen to stetocopes!!

see my paradoxical confusion?! any input—on point or besides it—is highly appreciated.

to whatusername: i'm thinking about pediatrics myself. just love children and want to work worldwide. in my thinking, trauma medicine will be rather hardcore "sensing," do you agree? all direct, immediate sensory information, and little of — whatever it is that intuition has to do with medicine (comfort, emotional understanding, longer vision of patients, etc.) what do you think? thanks for joining the general discussion and your insights! =)
    "It is only in folk tales, children's stories, and the journals of intellectual opinion that power is used wisely and well to destroy evil. The real world teaches very different lessons, and it takes willful and dedicated ignorance to fail to perceive them."

- Noam Chomsky

MBTI
    ENTp

im an xnfj and did move towards mbbs for a month then hopped over to computer science for a shortwhile during college but switched over to commerce which i completed with satisfaction for the longer term and then over to law which i finished then moved towards bureaucracy and then to UN then to HSBC/DHL/ENY/KPMG in chartered accountancy audit work back to law work and now moving towards judgeship. so ive seen the feudalism of the government and the slick corp culture of 21st century closely. All this and im 25!

if u look at things from far they all look pretty but the closer u get the worse they look. eventually there are no perfect fits, and everything is some comprise or the other and finally its just your liking. law gives me great freedom own working hours own fees own cases whatever i like, now im looking at putting life on automatic gears by moving towards state judgeship where there are no recessions no running after clients, good intellectual stimulation and relaxed life. no 90 hour work weeks like in finance and no 30 hour shifts like my ex gf is facing in medical centres. pick up any law which doesnt change much like constitution or tax law and advise political leaders eventually move into politics like obama if ure ambitious. otherwise move into judgeship and relax with the good status in society.

good luck with whatever you decide

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

anything is possible. most of the Ni doms i know get really fucking frustrated with the process. you absolutely positively MUST find a good environment for school in order to succeed. the actual education process is extremely focused on S and Te. soooo many estjs and some esfjs. you have to be able to deal with intense rote memorization all day every day, and work on the problems from a very methodical stance.

the questions you may find interesting are less relevant than the diagnostic methods and rote memorization until you are really far along and probably a research doc. obviously some nfjs make it, but ntjs and ntps do better for the most part. again, it depends on the program of study and the actual school, their style, and the overall environment with the students. i've heard horror stories and for nfjs and Fe it sounds unbearable in some of them.

if you're 100% committed that's one thing, but if not, it's pretty grueling even for those who are more made to fit the programming process.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by intuitiveadrenalinejunkie View Post
    thanks all for replies so far. lot of good insight.

what i was getting most at, though, was — and this is where i might (and in fact hope to) be wrong — that the day-to-day work of being a doctor involves a lot of "sensing" information, ie. physical symptoms, reading of charts and whatnot, and listening to stetoscopes and counting heartbeats (as was mentioned). im actually afraid to get bored! i mean, if it's like that all day—from one stetoscope to the next—i might feel frustrated for not having room to get into ... i dont know what, the spiritual side (?) or emotional side of it? dont get me wrong (i know it's hard—highly confused individual speaking), but i dont want to become a psychologist or anything like that. i'm interested in studying medicine because of the "human" side of it, the "healing" (as someone put it) or the caring about others. // incurably idealistic, i was long thinking to write—ie. write screenplays, meddle in art in general—but i have (nearly) come to the conclusion that there will be the direct element of caring/helping others missing. (does anyone else identify with this? on a sidenote, that is.) // so all that sounds well and good, the only thing that's "wrong" with the picture, is the appearantly inordinate amount of "sensing" work...

would love to get some (more) feedback from a physician (and others!). the more i talk about it, the more i'm suspecting that i might be mistaken and that, being who i am (in this case, INFJ), i'll simply have my own approach to practicing medicine. but i still have to listen to stetocopes!!

see my paradoxical confusion?! any input—on point or besides it—is highly appreciated.

to whatusername: i'm thinking about pediatrics myself. just love children and want to work worldwide. in my thinking, trauma medicine will be rather hardcore "sensing," do you agree? all direct, immediate sensory information, and little of — whatever it is that intuition has to do with medicine (comfort, emotional understanding, longer vision of patients, etc.) what do you think? thanks for joining the general discussion and your insights! =)
    Well, I've been thinking of volunteering for UN or Oxfam and I thought trauma med would be most useful. I honestly didn't think it would be hardcore sensing at all, until you mentioned it...hmmm...now I kind of agree. Hehe.

Working worldwide? That sounds exciting. I hope to do the same thing as well.

[What I do worry about is how do we "detach" ourselves from those who are in physical pain? Most of time I sort of feel it when people around me are in pain. I think being INFJ has to do with that. I'm just wondering how NOT to completely break down when I see someone who's in excruciating pain.]
    Yes, I take it with no cream and no sugar.

And yes, some of us drink it bitter.