User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTp

i find the sensing work being referred to as initially required yes but later it will be very intuitive and easy to diagnose and work around. meaning the profession will require a long long gestation period with sensing but eventually a natural intuitive person will stand heads and shoulders above the rest.

infact most mbbs moving towards wholistic healing do so because getting shackled by strait jacketed logical material sensing fixing of the body just doesnt cut it. the body/mind link and energy meridians for example cant be ignored.

plus another point on idealism. the life of a doc sucks big time during the gestation period mentioned above. so the nf idealism is going to be seriously challenged and require enormous patience.

atleast that was my thinking despite biology coming very naturally to me in high school and later. still there is no need to inflict painful personal goals on oneself. this is a nf hobby which one should be aware of.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by slumdogtrillionaire View Post
    i find the sensing work being referred to as initially required yes but later it will be very intuitive and easy to diagnose and work around. meaning the profession will require a long long gestation period with sensing but eventually a natural intuitive person will stand heads and shoulders above the rest.

infact most mbbs moving towards wholistic healing do so because getting shackled by strait jacketed logical material sensing fixing of the body just doesnt cut it. the body/mind link and energy meridians for example cant be ignored.

plus another point on idealism. the life of a doc sucks big time during the gestation period mentioned above. so the nf idealism is going to be seriously challenged and require enormous patience.

atleast that was my thinking despite biology coming very naturally to me in high school and later. still there is no need to inflict painful personal goals on oneself. this is a nf hobby which one should be aware of.
    I agree with the whole idea of the gestation period being taxing on NF idealism.

The last four years of law school was like that for me.

I think though that what comes after will be worth it.
    Yes, I take it with no cream and no sugar.

And yes, some of us drink it bitter.

Senior Member The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by intuitiveadrenalinejunkie View Post

what i was getting most at, though, was — and this is where i might (and in fact hope to) be wrong — that the day-to-day work of being a doctor involves a lot of "sensing" information, ie. physical symptoms, reading of charts and whatnot, and listening to stetoscopes and counting heartbeats (as was mentioned). im actually afraid to get bored! i mean, if it's like that all day—from one stetoscope to the next—i might feel frustrated for not having room to get into ... i dont know what, the spiritual side (?) or emotional side of it? dont get me wrong (i know it's hard—highly confused individual speaking), but i dont want to become a psychologist or anything like that. i'm interested in studying medicine because of the "human" side of it, the "healing" (as someone put it) or the caring about others. // incurably idealistic, i was long thinking to write—ie. write screenplays, meddle in art in general—but i have (nearly) come to the conclusion that there will be the direct element of caring/helping others missing. (does anyone else identify with this? on a sidenote, that is.) // so all that sounds well and good, the only thing that's "wrong" with the picture, is the appearantly inordinate amount of "sensing" work...

would love to get some (more) feedback from a physician (and others!). the more i talk about it, the more i'm suspecting that i might be mistaken and that, being who i am (in this case, INFJ), i'll simply have my own approach to practicing medicine. but i still have to listen to stetocopes!!

see my paradoxical confusion?! any input—on point or besides it—is highly appreciated.

to whatusername: i'm thinking about pediatrics myself. just love children and want to work worldwide. in my thinking, trauma medicine will be rather hardcore "sensing," do you agree? all direct, immediate sensory information, and little of — whatever it is that intuition has to do with medicine (comfort, emotional understanding, longer vision of patients, etc.) what do you think? thanks for joining the general discussion and your insights! =)
    I have a very close INFJ friend who is currently excelling in medical school. His convictions regarding the larger picture, i.e. aiding the human condition, are what I believe propels him through those static phases of paperwork and the like. He has had some difficulty accepting the dog-eat-dog world of a medical student, but his forward focus on the notion of making a difference drives him onward. And if it's any type whose convictions are unwavering, I would imagine it to be the INFJ.

I have ISTJ, ESFJ, ESTP, ENFJ, ESTJ, ISFJ, INFJ and ISFP friends that are currently in medical school, and of all them only the INFJ said he would do it all over again, had he knew then (before school) what he knows now. Kudos to your type

Regarding your desire to become a doctor, you'll most likely need more reasons (at least on paper) other than, "wanting to help people." If you say that in your interview, they'll ask why you aren't pursuing a career as a nurse, EMT, social worker, etc. You have to want that M.D./D.O. like there is no other career in the world that you would rather do. You'll have to show that you are capable of the rigors of a medical curriculum, and that as a doctor you will be indispensable to your community.

At least that's my understanding of it.
    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

MBTI
    ENTp

The Grand chameleon sure id say if you're so determined. move into bureaucracy and influence health policy on a countrywide scale rather than one patient at a time! its less painful less upfront and wider reaching. ofcourse if u want hands on experience there are ways other than going through the entire mbbs md facs and f*cks lol

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

The Grand chameleon sure id say if you're so determined move into bureaucracy and influence health policy on a countrywide scale rather than one patient at a time! its less painful less upfront and wider reaching. ofcourse if u want hands on experience there are ways other than going through the entire mbbs md facs and f*cks lol
    What is this in response to? My INFJ friend? Or additional reasons to become a doctor?:confused:

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Chameleon View Post
    What is this in response to? My INFJ friend? Or additional reasons to become a doctor?:confused:
    I think it's in response to an ethanol overdose.

MBTI
    ENTp

its a reply to op with reference to the determined infj you mentioned, The grand chameleon. its not really any sort of overdose. where im hinting at is using the welfare aspect in a much broader way. for example as a lawyer taking up issues of 10% of americas population which has no health insurance. or cases against the pharma majors-docs nexus overdosing the patients, advising needless medicines/tests. or as a health secretary making broad sweep changes in the entire country. plus its easier, faster route to making visible changes in society. the previous comment is probably coming across strongly Kangol, sorry for that just that passion should not get wasted, specially of younger guys/gals before their idealism fizzles out in trying to show a strong exterior while they are crumbling inside handling the curriculum, turning into middle aged cynics by the time they graduate.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

just that passion should not get wasted, specially of younger guys/gals before their idealism fizzles out in trying to show a strong exterior while they are crumbling inside handling the curriculum, turning into middle aged cynics by the time they graduate.
    Thanks for the clarification.

That is the fatal flaw of the idealist: defilade from this type of "erosion" takes a strong-willed individual. I was just saying the INFJ is particularly well-equipped to handle such pressures.

MBTI
    INFJ

I am an INFJ (coupled with Type 4w5) dental student in my 3rd year (out of 5) and I agree with all the comments that have been posted.

Sensing is definitely required early on but intuition can come in great use in group work and patient management - the latter of which is heavily featured this year for me. I'm enjoying it greatly. The "buzz" you get from a patient who is grateful and whom you connect with; from knowing that you have added something meaningful to the world and from moving 'beyond yourself' is what drives me forward past the academic slogs and hurdles.

T also gets a big workout also imo - you do need to be able to walk through logically how you achieve certain conclusions/results (medicine/dentistry/health sciences is not exactly a walk in the park!). Sometimes I do wish though that I could get away from it all and draw, paint, read, ruminate, write for (being Type 4) I have a deep seeded artistic longing however students in this profession are often stripped for time .

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm going to add on a few interesting points;
    - idealism is common in a lot of young people who want to change the world and it is true that more often then not, this passion burns out by middle age. I think the salve to this is patience and the realisation that youth does last a lot longer then we sometimes think it to be; that instead of changing the world first, we should look inwards and change ourselves first. There's a beautiful passage from Dostoyevsky's Brothers Karamazov on the idealist Aloyasha, describing him as veering away from this 'danger' and giving his early life to servitude and reflection.
    - Nietzche also talks about the Camel, The Lion and the Child in his ' Thus Spoke Zarathustra' which follows a similar theme - you can look the story up - in my view it's a preparation, mentally preparing yourself to change the world (and in doing so grow spiritually) so to speak.

- On cynicism and idealism - I believe that they can work together (in fact sometimes with better results). One lends itself to the more practical aspects of life and people, the other strives for the possibilities and the highest levels of what humanity can achieve. If you can funnel both to work for you then it's easier to cope, you're less often disappointed (and depressed) and you know the best spots to push for results.