First 234

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by SciVo View Post
    I felt that way for a long time. When I was 29 and going through a personal crisis, I drove halfway across the country and back, by myself. (Long story.) The first day was all white knuckles and gritted teeth, going up and down steep curves, sometimes passing semis. Something about doing that for hour after hour after hour finally broke the hyper-vigilant part of me that stressed about it, so that I was perfectly calm the rest of the way, even with strong crosswinds or in the rain; and I haven't minded driving since.

So maybe I'm suggesting that you go on a long solo road trip and see what happens? I dunno if it would work for you like it did for me, but anyway, best of luck.
    I
    Loathe
    Driving.

Because my nerves are so easily rattled, I'm very "hyper-vigilant" on the road, and my eyes have to see everything before I feel comfortable making my next move. It was a real hindrance when I was trying to improve my driving skills in high school. I never felt any certainty behind the wheel, and the task always drained me. To this day I'm still mostly "white knuckles" while driving although surprisingly I do have moments of peace.

MBTI
    INTP

I saw her the other day and now she wants me to teach her to play guitar, will have to get her dad to buy her one. Have quite a few instruments and she likes to play with them when she is here with improvised lyrics.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

do it! music is a great outlet... most of the musicians i know with a natural ear seem to be NF

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    It's more that I tend to space out while driving, all of a sudden I'll snap back to reality and not have any idea how I got to where I am. This also happens to me when I walk around...

It takes a huge amount of concentration for me to stay aware of my surrounding at the level that's necessary for driving, otherwise I'm liable to not notice there are lights let alone that one of them is red.

There have been a couple of times that I only noticed the person on the bike after I passed them... that is a very scary feeling.

Also, I am hopeless at finding my way around... I'm the sort of person who never ever ever knows where the car is, ever. Whereas my INTP husband is excellent at those things, I love riding with him because he always finds his way while never getting stressed or stuck in traffic and at the same time carrying on an interesting conversation with me!
    Agreed. It's a spooky feeling cause automatically what runs through my head is "i could of hit that person/car/ got in a accident etc ". What if next time i don't see the person and actually hit them? Ne is lethal while driving lol.

Right on rain definitely driving requires a huge amount of concentration for me too. Like i have to be extra vigilant as another member said.
    it's especially overwhelming for me when it's raining or winter time at night while snowing or just one of those. It just makes you have to focus even more lol.

You know what my mother is nice enough to get me? a tom tom :O.
    I'll be getting it for the holidays but she's hinted at me that she got it for me.
    As when i get lost i'm lost period and i will not find my way out haha. *as i panic all the more about "great i'm lost, i don't know where i am eeeek"*

Those INTPs are quite amazing folks aren't they?
    You are a very lucky women . Congrats hehe.
    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...
    (Carl Jung, Psychological Types, Chapter XI - Definitions)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    I saw her the other day and now she wants me to teach her to play guitar, will have to get her dad to buy her one. Have quite a few instruments and she likes to play with them when she is here with improvised lyrics.
    aww sounds like your really close to your neice especially
    reading the OP.
    keep Nurturing those talents/Imagination .

What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Duchessoftheshadows View Post
    It's a spooky feeling cause automatically what runs through my head is "i could of hit that person/car/ got in a accident etc ". What if next time i don't see the person and actually hit them? Ne is lethal while driving lol.
    I know exactly what you're talking about, it's scary...

You know what my mother is nice enough to get me? a tom tom :O.
    I'll be getting it for the holidays but she's hinted at me that she got it for me.
    As when i get lost i'm lost period and i will not find my way out haha. *as i panic all the more about "great i'm lost, i don't know where i am eeeek"*
    A tom tom is some sort of in car GPS system, right? I definitely need something like that. Probably half of my problem driving is that I don't know my way around at all. If I'm not driving, I seem to be physically incapable of paying attention to where we are. It's like being in a car forces my brain into daydream/thinking mode and it takes serious amounts of concentration to be aware of reality for even a few minutes.

When I first arrived in New Zealand I was freaked out about driving because it's on the other side of the road from the States, and I was bad enough on the side used over there. After living here for probably 6 months I finally worked up the courage to try driving; I couldn't even find my way to my mother-in-law's house which was about 5 mins away. I was quite embarrassed.

Everyone I know seems to effortlessly be able to figure out how get to places, they can give other people directions even!
    Maybe this is why it never fails to embarrass me when this deficiency is made public.

Those INTPs are quite amazing folks aren't they?
    You are a very lucky women . Congrats hehe.
    Yea, INTPs are pretty much awesomeness wrapped up in a neat little package of skin.
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    AHH!

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    I
    Loathe
    Driving.
    Really? I LOVE driving...when I know the area, that is. I love the freedom it brings.

I've heard of a lot of infps disliking to drive though. Am I the only one not against it??

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    I know exactly what you're talking about, it's scary...

A tom tom is some sort of in car GPS system, right? I definitely need something like that. Probably half of my problem driving is that I don't know my way around at all. If I'm not driving, I seem to be physically incapable of paying attention to where we are. It's like being in a car forces my brain into daydream/thinking mode and it takes serious amounts of concentration to be aware of reality for even a few minutes.

When I first arrived in New Zealand I was freaked out about driving because it's on the other side of the road from the States, and I was bad enough on the side used over there. After living here for probably 6 months I finally worked up the courage to try driving; I couldn't even find my way to my mother-in-law's house which was about 5 mins away. I was quite embarrassed.

Everyone I know seems to effortlessly be able to figure out how get to places, they can give other people directions even!
    Maybe this is why it never fails to embarrass me when this deficiency is made public.

Yea, INTPs are pretty much awesomeness wrapped up in a neat little package of skin.

yeah it's a GPS system . But the updates are downloaded for free instead of paying $20 a month for them.

Oh my goodness you mean there isn't something wrong
    with me even though i should know my way around, but i don't XD.

Right on and that's what makes it so gosh darn draining too.
    Cause it's like you have to tell yourself over and over

"pay attention...pay attention...oh my god that car just got to close
    i hope i don't get hit ...oops...pay attention...where i am going next?...but also "pay attention" lol XD"

Exactly and it feels like i'm defective just cause i have the most trouble in actually driving and getting somewhere. I mean i've gotten better but at first oy vey i felt like i was part stupid XD.

I just couldn't grasp it, i panicked to much and easily. I need to have the route mapped out so i know where i'm going, what do i look for?, do i know how to get home etc. If none of that knowledge is present i get nervous and panic .Try not to but driving is not a friend.

woah i couldn't imagine learning a new way to drive that would mess me up.
    :O seriously wow. awww well i guess if we don't try we'll never get the skill down but it's so tramatic of an experience sometimes.

Other side of the road eek that must of just messed with
    your chi :O. I would of felt like i'd be afraid i'd lose the skill
    just cause it's different now. I hate driving or simply I love to
    loathe it right Rain dancing?

Don't you just envy those people who can drive like it's nobody's
    buisness lol. I mean they pick it up quick and with ease and hear's me like
    *duuuh what do i do? * especially direction wise * i suck i tell ya*

The ones that get me are the fearless drivers, woah i can't even imagine
    being totally comfortable driving in general without some fear.
    I will never speed cause i feel out of control when i even go faster then i should or am used too right?

You are one lucky INFP lol. Indeed they are .
    What is Feeling?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by lost verses View Post
    Really? I LOVE driving...when I know the area, that is. I love the freedom it brings.

I've heard of a lot of infps disliking to drive though. Am I the only one not against it??
    It's hard to explain.
    I'm a person who goes between extremes.
    So, sometimes I hate driving when I feel anxious, and because I have control freak tendencies I want to be certain of what the other people do on the road (although that's not very realistic). And then there are other times when I feel relaxed and reckless, and driving is this great freedom. It just depends.
    Last edited by neptunesnet; 10-07-2009 at 03:31 AM.