• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Music Moves The Mind (and Body!)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
So here's a question for all you NF's and NF friends out there --

1) Do you LOVE music? Like REALLY love it? Is it your drug of choice, do you have a huge playlist, were/are you a dj or regular jazz club/dance club patron? Does music seriously activate chemicals in your brain and make you feel good and/or calm?

P.S. I LOVE TO DANCE!

Music is my drug of choice and dancing is my soul therapy. It can make me feel elation like no else and otherwise really syncs with my moods. When I dance at the club, it's not to meet other people or join a meat market, I just do my own thing with or without the aid of alcohol. The most fun though is dancing with like minded friends and strangers who just really want to get into the groove. Such a happy time. *sigh*

2) What music do you like? And this goes beyond a generic listing of bands and genres but really asks WHY do you like it? What turns you on about it? Or off?

For example, I am a typical ENFP who loves everything and my playlists have bluegrass, country, christian, MTV top 40, 80s, indie pop/rock, old school rock, electronica, classical etc. etc. etc.

BUT, my heart and danceable body belong to evocative music, to music that really makes you feel something, and to music that is very authentic and real.

So basically, I LOVE contemporary christian music (CCM like Sara Groves, Nicole Nordeman, Taize sacred music), sexy groovy lounge music (like Frou Frou, Feist, Vikter Duplaix), singer-songwriter of all genres, and high-energy electronica like jungle, D&B, house, garage, funk, etc. On my current playlist is 'What a Feeling' by Peter Luts and Dominico and 'Kiss Chase' by Total Science.

Also if I like a song, I can play it on repeat and listen to it AN HOUR or more.

I think some other popular examples of music that falls under this broad category are the artists Coldplay, Keane, Feist, etc.

So I'm curious to see how much of this is an NF thing and how personality reflects your relationship to emotional/physical stimuli?

That's basically it. :headphne:

I await your answers!

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

1) Do you LOVE music? Like REALLY love it? Is it your drug of choice, do you have a huge playlist, were/are you a dj or regular jazz club/dance club patron? Does music seriously activate chemicals in your brain and make you feel good and/or calm?

P.S. I LOVE TO DANCE!

Music is my drug of choice and dancing is my soul therapy. It can make me feel elation like no else and otherwise really syncs with my moods. When I dance at the club, it's not to meet other people or join a meat market, I just do my own thing with or without the aid of alcohol. The most fun though is dancing with like minded friends and strangers who just really want to get into the groove. Such a happy time. *sigh*

I listen to music a lot and a lot of my entertainment budget goes to new music. Music can affect my mood, but usually I choose my music based on my current mood rather than wanting the music to change anything.

I don't dance. Part of that is introversion and not being fond of the social environments it takes place in. But more of it has to do with not being interested in the types of dancing that are popular. If I had an opportunity (and someone to dance with) to dance at a medieval event like a renaissance faire with appropriate music I'd probably enjoy that or at least be willing to give it a try.

2) What music do you like? And this goes beyond a generic listing of bands and genres but really asks WHY do you like it? What turns you on about it? Or off?

For example, I am a typical ENFP who loves everything and my playlists have bluegrass, country, christian, MTV top 40, 80s, indie pop/rock, old school rock, electronica, classical etc. etc. etc.

BUT, my heart and danceable body belong to evocative music, to music that really makes you feel something, and to music that is very authentic and real.

So basically, I LOVE contemporary christian music (CCM like Sara Groves, Nicole Nordeman, Taize sacred music), sexy groovy lounge music (like Frou Frou, Feist, Vikter Duplaix), singer-songwriter of all genres, and high-energy electronica like jungle, D&B, house, garage, funk, etc. On my current playlist is 'What a Feeling' by Peter Luts and Dominico and 'Kiss Chase' by Total Science.

Also if I like a song, I can play it on repeat and listen to it AN HOUR or more.

I think some other popular examples of music that falls under this broad category are the artists Coldplay, Keane, Feist, etc.

So I'm curious to see how much of this is an NF thing and how personality reflects your relationship to emotional/physical stimuli?

I await your answers!

No matter what mood I'm in, I want the music to either make me feel something or enhance my present feelings. A lot of stuff I hear on the radio or see performing on late night talk shows, I just feel nothing and yawn.

Good mood / cheerful - Anything upbeat with a high energy feeling.

No strong mood - pretty much anything, but mostly folk/fantasy and symphonic or gothic rock/metal.

Depressed - Something to make me feel understood. "misery loves company", lyrics matter more than the music in this state of mind, but sometimes an instrumental can have just the right feeling for the moment too.

Angry and/or Frustrated - Something fast and aggressive. thrash metal, death metal etc.

And heres a few band I listen to a lot and I'd recommend to anyone musically open minded...
Blackmore's Night
Chamber
The Cruxshadows
Elane
L'Ame Immortelle
Omnia
Pilori

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Yes, I LOVE music. I would definately say its my drug of choice... I get totally entranced in a lot of music. In fact, I think I have this: Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
thing that causes you to kind of see the music visually in your mind, making it even more drug like. I study how it sounds and why, and I am always trying to learn more about how to play music (I play guitar and harmonica... and a little bass and piano). I think I'm naturally very rythemic... I'm always tapping beats or stomping my feet, running threw songs in my head. I don't know how much music I own, but I know that I am pretty much always thinking about music. I'm in the jazz band at school, too.

I like a wide veriety of music. I like a lot of different types of music... pretty much anything that is good, I guess. What do I look for in music? In a word, beauty. Be it something that is simply musically genius, or if it is something that makes me feel strong emotions, I just know that it is all beautiful. It doesn't have to make me happy -I love Leonard Cohen and Robert Johnson partly because they are a bit more melancholic or sad.

Heres a list anyway, even if you don't want one.

Jimi Hendrix
John Coltrane
Bob Dylan
The Beatles
Sonny Boy Williamson
Howlin' Wolf
The Band
Buddy Guy
Muddy Waters
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Robert Johnson
Benny Goodman
Miles Davis
Leonard Cohen
James Brown
Marvin Gaye
NWA
The Wu Tang Clan
Woody Guthrie
Public Enemy
Neil young
Hank Williams
The Who
B.B. King
A Tribe Called Quest

I'm probably forgetting a bunch of people...

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
1) Do you LOVE music? I like music fine... although I wouldn't say I love music so much that it's a drug.

Dancing... perhaps it's the difference between I/E... I refrain from dancing in the public because I'm afraid of embarrassing myself. I like dancing when nobody's around though. Also I have a tendency to pick up the beat to the music... sometimes you see me walk in time to the beat unconsciously. :blush:

I like variety in music... but I have a tendency to gravitate towards sad, depressive ones... jazz, tango, indy pop, classical, modern instrumental. That and heavy bass. I have a thing for loud rumbles XP

Really? I do the same... play something on loop for so long that people ask me if I'm okay. lol Maybe it's N related... I know of some NTs who do the same as well.

Sometimes my mood dictates the type of music I listen to. So if I'm feeling sad, I might deliberately play depressing songs or happy ones to cheer myself up. But because I'm rather sensitive to music, when I play random stuff I can pick up whatever mood simply by listening. Not sure if other NFs are like that though.

_Ti_

MBTI Type
ENFP
If I had that magic lamp, and that genie popped out of it, one of my wishes would be to have a soundtrack of music that followed me wherever I went, reflecting how I felt and what was going on.

So yes. Music is addictive and I'm a willing addict.

I know why I like some musicians and not others.
George Winston, for example. Solo Pianist, not super famous, but I've been listening to him since I was tiny. And I love his music for the simple reason that if I could play piano, I would play what he writes. His music expresses my feelings so eloquently that there is no need for words.

Other music I listen to has an immediate effect on my mood. I don't even notice it sometimes until, say, I've been listening to only rock and metal for a month and then suddenly I hear the white stripes or something upbeat, and I realize, woah, I'm happy,I'm having fun! This is great! And then I remember, oh yeah, music is my mood drug.
WOOOOOO!!!

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP

I've only actually really started listening to my 'own' music in the last few years... before then I just sort of listened to what's on the radio or what's playing at home (my parents always have some sort of music on during the day). But since I've started filling up my iTunes, I have really started to wonder how I managed without it! I have definite favourites that I could listen to forever without getting tired of, and I always have to have something playing. I was a little too self-conscious when I was younger to really go out and frequent dance clubs... (and the music that really gets me isn't exactly typical 'dance' music) but I happily and frequently dance to my own music at home. :p And yeah, my playlist is pretty massive.

Like CzeCze, I listen to just about everything... I don't think there's any genre which I do not like (some genres I like more than others, and some I find very few examples which I like - but there are always some.)

I cannot get enough of music with passion - I think I've finally concluded that is what is essential in music for me (after looking perplexedly for a long time at my favourites, which are made up of just about every genre :p). Just stuff that you can pour your heart and soul into. Beautiful tunes and intelligent lyrics... something thoughtful and heartfelt.

I've actually been told more than once that the music I listen to is depressing (despite the fact I'm quite a cheerful person)... and I suppose that's true, to a certain extent. There's a sort of wholehearted, miserable wretchedness in some songs that just pulls at you like nothing else. Cheerful songs too often fall into either cheesy sentimentality or sugary-sweet overenthusiasm... and that's not to say they're all bad (the ones that get it right can make me stop and smile no matter what I'm feeling or how many times I've heard that song before), but it happens more often, I think.

And 'sad' music can go overboard too, just as easily, but I think there's something about misery that translates into music better. I'm not sure why.

Superficial music I (sometimes) enjoy very briefly initially, before being unable to stand it. It doesn't help that that's what the radio tends to play. :(

I also am solely a listener of music - I don't play and instrument or sing, even though I am frequently inspired to do so by some of my favourite artists. But I normally just like sitting and feeling jealous of their insane talent.

Oh, absolutely. For my favourites, I can go several hours on repeat. And it just makes me love it more.

Let's see. Favourite Artists: :p

Josh Groban, Micheal Buble, The Whitlams, Maroon 5, Five for Fighting, Imogen Heap (Frou Frou), Keane, The Fray, Enya, Thirsty Merc, Ben Folds (Five), Dixie Chicks, Kasey Chambers, Juli, Silbermond, REM, Hayley Westenra, Fort Minor, The Decemberists, Sarah McLaughlin, Sting, Train, Missy Higgins, Linkin Park, Moby, Phil Collins, RENT (the Musical), Joseph (the Musical) Robbie Williams, The Killers, Keith Urban, Kaiser Chiefs, Jem, Gordon Lightfoot, Frank Sinatra, Elton John, Dido, The Corrs, Santana.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
YES. I *LOVE* music. It takes up 14GB on my computer. Nearly 2k files roflrofl!!! I *wish* I was old enough to get into clubs....yes I love dancing as well. Mostly to hip-hop..but most anything with a fast tempo works. To everything else I can only dance contemporary..:D..and, hey, it's great exercise.

I listen to everything. Mostly Asian pop/rock, hip-hop and r&b...well, no, just everything. Even a few religious songs hehe. Country is alright but I don't think I have any on my computer.

Yes, I do the hour-long looping too.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

Who doesn't like music? I have no problem with dancing, I enjoy it. I dance in the shower, I dance in the car, I dance in my room. I don't sing though, I sound horrible. I tend to prefer my music without lyrics because I just want to hear the music, but if good lyrics and good music collide then it's all good.

I like upbeat, fast paced music like Baltimore Club, electronic (house, drum and bass, lounge), rap/hip-hop, classic soul, soundtracks, early 20th century gospel (Mahalia Jackson), top 40/pop. I'm not really a music elitist, I have no problem with popular artists like Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, or Madonna. If I like it, I like it.

I like fast-paced music because it appeals to me on some basic level. I like steady, heavy, bass lines because they make me move. I like music that builds up to a crescendo e.g. Chemical Brothers "Star Guitar" (sounds like walking in the sun), Mirwais "Disco Science" (sounds like sex), Basement Jaxx "Rendezvous" (sounds like a duel). I prefer upbeat music because slower, more melancholy tends to put me in a pensive mood.

Yeah, I recently had the Lust, Caution soundtrack on repeat for two days. Very beautiful.

Not really a coincidence that I like faster music and I'm also an extrovert. I enjoy melancholic music when I want to decompress or create a more introspective atmosphere for myself. I'll listen to something angsty like The Smiths or something.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Ooh, so fun everyone's responses!

It's true 'who doesn't like music' (actually I did know 1 girl in hs who didn't have the patience for it and never listened to the radio). But some people really LOVE music to the point that they NEED it.

And it seems like a few of us really like d&B, breakbeat, jungle, garage -- I LOOOOOVE that kind of bass-heavy booty shaking music, especially vocal house when it has a really nice vocalist singing sometimes senseless but still emotional lyrics.

Maybe the other people I see shaking it at house night at the club are also ENF? Hahaha...

And this was posted on another forum, but here's some musical tests to rate your pitch awareness, tone deafness, and RHYTHM!

Notice the shameless plug I put for myself? :hi:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...1-musical-skill-tests-online-2.html#post61134

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Do I love it? Um, sure. It certainly plays a big role in my life. Without it, I'd create it somehow.

Huge playlist? Not really. I don't really organise my music...it's just all on the harddrive.

Club patron? No. Maybe a jazz club, but I haven't found any that would let me go and dress as is. Otherwise, I'm not a fan of the whole club scene. Music is more of a private thing for me. I'm not usually comfortable playing music where everyone can hear it, nor am I 100% comfortable experiencing music in a public setting. The reason being it's harder for me to focus on the music itself...what ends up happening is I get distracted by the people around me and focus on them instead.

Drug of choice? Well, I don't see music as a drug anymore than I see art in and of itself as a drug. But it does induce some sort of reaction in my brain and it does help me to "let go" of being conscious when I work on something. Things generally turn out better when I'm listening to music.

I like everything that is good. (Where good = I hear it, and I like it.) And that's all I can tell you. The hell if I know why I like certain songs. Some music I like because I've heard it ever since I was a little girl. Other music I like because it's like the aforementioned music. But most stuff I like because of the particular combination of lyrics and instruments. I can't listen to a song that has lyrics I don't like anymore than I can listen to a song whose melody sounds terrible. They have to work together for me.

Oh definitely. I think it's because I'm so used to repeating overworld music in games that I can do this. There have been times where I've had one song on repeat for an entire day and not gotten tired of it until I realised how long I'd been listening to the song.

However, unlike you, I don't really like dancing. When I listen to a song, I don't usually feel compelled to get up and dance. But I am more than happy to dance with someone (provided they didn't mock me too terribly for being a little clumsy). Though, I don't just dance with anyone...somehow that seems sacrilegious to me.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
ZOMG +8(on its side)

:party2: Hands UP, Thumbs down

represent that B Town
(even if I only know about it from watching The Wire...)

the_wire.jpg

shimsham

MBTI Type
infj
I LOOOOOOOOOVE music (my collection has reached a whopping 80GB, which makes me cringe when I think of how much money I've dropped on CDs and mp3s). In fact, I'm pretty much listening to it constantly- friends will occasionally make fun of me because the moment I get home/hop into a car/etc, I'll put something on.

I listen to a pretty wide range of stuff, although I tend to prefer music that most might find "quirky" or otherwise inaccessible. This has nothing to do with pretentiousness on my part, I simply like what I like. And what I happen to like is a lot of instrumental stuff (anyone here familiar with Constellation records?); post-rock, ambient, guitar-based, string-based, chamber, etc. I've also always loved old delta blues from the 20s-30s.

My mood is very easily influenced by what I'm listening to- sad music makes me sad, fast music makes me move/think quicker. For some reason, I tend to listen to sad, slow music when I'm feeling down or otherwise contemplative, which really just ends up driving me deeper into my thoughts. I should probably start working on popping in something happy at those times...

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
yes yes I love music like that in the open post.

You need to look up Ingrid Michaelson you will love it!

Vicki

MBTI Type
????

P.S. I LOVE TO DANCE!

me too! although I'm more of a singer.

everything you said there.. describes me too! :headphne:
sometimes I think other people don't understand this..
music just totally moves me. wheeeee

I listen to rock, I'm a die-hard rock fan. but I listen to other types of music. I don't listen to classical or country. srry.
I like avril lavigne, and mcr a lot.
I like a good beat to lots of songs. (I've memorized millions of song lyrics over my life! :headphne: )

lol, me too.

I await your answers!

well, listening to happy music makes you happy and vice versa. I'm not sure if this is NF. I think it applies to a lot of people.
I think sad music affects me a LOT though.. like I'll be depressed the rest of the day.
so I have to be careful about listening to sad music.. :D
what about you?

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have to have some outlet (whether pottery or singing or just reciting favorite lines from a poem) to express myself, and, because it's something that to me comes the most easily, I usually choose music. It has a pulse and, when done right, a soul. I like that.

I don't believe I listen to music in the same way that other people do. I experience it with every part of me. The beat courses through my veins, the lyrics play at the tip of my tongue, and the rhythm takes shape and, literally, moves in my mind. It's the most exhilarating feeling I know.

I tried explaining this to a friend of mine once and I got the :huh: face. :laugh:
Never again. That hurt way too much...although if I were to be on the outside looking in at see myself, I would probably get a kick out of most of the crap that comes out of my mouth, anyway.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

P.S. I LOVE TO DANCE!

I await your answers!

I just need a theme song. Alt Rock/Punk usually does it for me. Right now, I'm addicted to Falling Up.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
1) Do you LOVE music?
No, I hate music.

2) What music do you like?
Never heard any music in my life.