User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Music Moves The Mind (and Body!)

So here's a question for all you NF's and NF friends out there --

1) Do you LOVE music? Like REALLY love it? Is it your drug of choice, do you have a huge playlist, were/are you a dj or regular jazz club/dance club patron? Does music seriously activate chemicals in your brain and make you feel good and/or calm?

P.S. I LOVE TO DANCE!

Music is my drug of choice and dancing is my soul therapy. It can make me feel elation like no else and otherwise really syncs with my moods. When I dance at the club, it's not to meet other people or join a meat market, I just do my own thing with or without the aid of alcohol. The most fun though is dancing with like minded friends and strangers who just really want to get into the groove. Such a happy time. *sigh*

2) What music do you like? And this goes beyond a generic listing of bands and genres but really asks WHY do you like it? What turns you on about it? Or off?

For example, I am a typical ENFP who loves everything and my playlists have bluegrass, country, christian, MTV top 40, 80s, indie pop/rock, old school rock, electronica, classical etc. etc. etc.

BUT, my heart and danceable body belong to evocative music, to music that really makes you feel something, and to music that is very authentic and real.

So basically, I LOVE contemporary christian music (CCM like Sara Groves, Nicole Nordeman, Taize sacred music), sexy groovy lounge music (like Frou Frou, Feist, Vikter Duplaix), singer-songwriter of all genres, and high-energy electronica like jungle, D&B, house, garage, funk, etc. On my current playlist is 'What a Feeling' by Peter Luts and Dominico and 'Kiss Chase' by Total Science.

Also if I like a song, I can play it on repeat and listen to it AN HOUR or more.

I think some other popular examples of music that falls under this broad category are the artists Coldplay, Keane, Feist, etc.

So I'm curious to see how much of this is an NF thing and how personality reflects your relationship to emotional/physical stimuli?

That's basically it.

I await your answers!

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    So here's a question for all you NF's and NF friends out there --

1) Do you LOVE music? Like REALLY love it? Is it your drug of choice, do you have a huge playlist, were/are you a dj or regular jazz club/dance club patron? Does music seriously activate chemicals in your brain and make you feel good and/or calm?

P.S. I LOVE TO DANCE!

Music is my drug of choice and dancing is my soul therapy. It can make me feel elation like no else and otherwise really syncs with my moods. When I dance at the club, it's not to meet other people or join a meat market, I just do my own thing with or without the aid of alcohol. The most fun though is dancing with like minded friends and strangers who just really want to get into the groove. Such a happy time. *sigh*
    I listen to music a lot and a lot of my entertainment budget goes to new music. Music can affect my mood, but usually I choose my music based on my current mood rather than wanting the music to change anything.

I don't dance. Part of that is introversion and not being fond of the social environments it takes place in. But more of it has to do with not being interested in the types of dancing that are popular. If I had an opportunity (and someone to dance with) to dance at a medieval event like a renaissance faire with appropriate music I'd probably enjoy that or at least be willing to give it a try.

2) What music do you like? And this goes beyond a generic listing of bands and genres but really asks WHY do you like it? What turns you on about it? Or off?

For example, I am a typical ENFP who loves everything and my playlists have bluegrass, country, christian, MTV top 40, 80s, indie pop/rock, old school rock, electronica, classical etc. etc. etc.

BUT, my heart and danceable body belong to evocative music, to music that really makes you feel something, and to music that is very authentic and real.

So basically, I LOVE contemporary christian music (CCM like Sara Groves, Nicole Nordeman, Taize sacred music), sexy groovy lounge music (like Frou Frou, Feist, Vikter Duplaix), singer-songwriter of all genres, and high-energy electronica like jungle, D&B, house, garage, funk, etc. On my current playlist is 'What a Feeling' by Peter Luts and Dominico and 'Kiss Chase' by Total Science.

Also if I like a song, I can play it on repeat and listen to it AN HOUR or more.

I think some other popular examples of music that falls under this broad category are the artists Coldplay, Keane, Feist, etc.

So I'm curious to see how much of this is an NF thing and how personality reflects your relationship to emotional/physical stimuli?

That's basically it.

I await your answers!
    No matter what mood I'm in, I want the music to either make me feel something or enhance my present feelings. A lot of stuff I hear on the radio or see performing on late night talk shows, I just feel nothing and yawn.

Good mood / cheerful - Anything upbeat with a high energy feeling.

No strong mood - pretty much anything, but mostly folk/fantasy and symphonic or gothic rock/metal.

Depressed - Something to make me feel understood. "misery loves company", lyrics matter more than the music in this state of mind, but sometimes an instrumental can have just the right feeling for the moment too.

Angry and/or Frustrated - Something fast and aggressive. thrash metal, death metal etc.

And heres a few band I listen to a lot and I'd recommend to anyone musically open minded...
    Blackmore's Night
    Chamber
    The Cruxshadows
    Elane
    L'Ame Immortelle
    Omnia
    Pilori

MBTI
    infp

Yes, I LOVE music. I would definately say its my drug of choice... I get totally entranced in a lot of music. In fact, I think I have this: Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    thing that causes you to kind of see the music visually in your mind, making it even more drug like. I study how it sounds and why, and I am always trying to learn more about how to play music (I play guitar and harmonica... and a little bass and piano). I think I'm naturally very rythemic... I'm always tapping beats or stomping my feet, running threw songs in my head. I don't know how much music I own, but I know that I am pretty much always thinking about music. I'm in the jazz band at school, too.

I like a wide veriety of music. I like a lot of different types of music... pretty much anything that is good, I guess. What do I look for in music? In a word, beauty. Be it something that is simply musically genius, or if it is something that makes me feel strong emotions, I just know that it is all beautiful. It doesn't have to make me happy -I love Leonard Cohen and Robert Johnson partly because they are a bit more melancholic or sad.

Heres a list anyway, even if you don't want one.

Jimi Hendrix
    John Coltrane
    Bob Dylan
    The Beatles
    Sonny Boy Williamson
    Howlin' Wolf
    The Band
    Buddy Guy
    Muddy Waters
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Robert Johnson
    Benny Goodman
    Miles Davis
    Leonard Cohen
    James Brown
    Marvin Gaye
    NWA
    The Wu Tang Clan
    Woody Guthrie
    Public Enemy
    Neil young
    Hank Williams
    The Who
    B.B. King
    A Tribe Called Quest

I'm probably forgetting a bunch of people...

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

1) Do you LOVE music? I like music fine... although I wouldn't say I love music so much that it's a drug.

Dancing... perhaps it's the difference between I/E... I refrain from dancing in the public because I'm afraid of embarrassing myself. I like dancing when nobody's around though. Also I have a tendency to pick up the beat to the music... sometimes you see me walk in time to the beat unconsciously.

I like variety in music... but I have a tendency to gravitate towards sad, depressive ones... jazz, tango, indy pop, classical, modern instrumental. That and heavy bass. I have a thing for loud rumbles XP

Really? I do the same... play something on loop for so long that people ask me if I'm okay. lol Maybe it's N related... I know of some NTs who do the same as well.

Sometimes my mood dictates the type of music I listen to. So if I'm feeling sad, I might deliberately play depressing songs or happy ones to cheer myself up. But because I'm rather sensitive to music, when I play random stuff I can pick up whatever mood simply by listening. Not sure if other NFs are like that though.

MBTI
    ENFP

If I had that magic lamp, and that genie popped out of it, one of my wishes would be to have a soundtrack of music that followed me wherever I went, reflecting how I felt and what was going on.

So yes. Music is addictive and I'm a willing addict.

I know why I like some musicians and not others.
    George Winston, for example. Solo Pianist, not super famous, but I've been listening to him since I was tiny. And I love his music for the simple reason that if I could play piano, I would play what he writes. His music expresses my feelings so eloquently that there is no need for words.

Other music I listen to has an immediate effect on my mood. I don't even notice it sometimes until, say, I've been listening to only rock and metal for a month and then suddenly I hear the white stripes or something upbeat, and I realize, woah, I'm happy,I'm having fun! This is great! And then I remember, oh yeah, music is my mood drug.
    WOOOOOO!!!

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

I've only actually really started listening to my 'own' music in the last few years... before then I just sort of listened to what's on the radio or what's playing at home (my parents always have some sort of music on during the day). But since I've started filling up my iTunes, I have really started to wonder how I managed without it! I have definite favourites that I could listen to forever without getting tired of, and I always have to have something playing. I was a little too self-conscious when I was younger to really go out and frequent dance clubs... (and the music that really gets me isn't exactly typical 'dance' music) but I happily and frequently dance to my own music at home. :P And yeah, my playlist is pretty massive.

Like CzeCze, I listen to just about everything... I don't think there's any genre which I do not like (some genres I like more than others, and some I find very few examples which I like - but there are always some.)

I cannot get enough of music with passion - I think I've finally concluded that is what is essential in music for me (after looking perplexedly for a long time at my favourites, which are made up of just about every genre :P). Just stuff that you can pour your heart and soul into. Beautiful tunes and intelligent lyrics... something thoughtful and heartfelt.

I've actually been told more than once that the music I listen to is depressing (despite the fact I'm quite a cheerful person)... and I suppose that's true, to a certain extent. There's a sort of wholehearted, miserable wretchedness in some songs that just pulls at you like nothing else. Cheerful songs too often fall into either cheesy sentimentality or sugary-sweet overenthusiasm... and that's not to say they're all bad (the ones that get it right can make me stop and smile no matter what I'm feeling or how many times I've heard that song before), but it happens more often, I think.

And 'sad' music can go overboard too, just as easily, but I think there's something about misery that translates into music better. I'm not sure why.

Superficial music I (sometimes) enjoy very briefly initially, before being unable to stand it. It doesn't help that that's what the radio tends to play.

I also am solely a listener of music - I don't play and instrument or sing, even though I am frequently inspired to do so by some of my favourite artists. But I normally just like sitting and feeling jealous of their insane talent.

Oh, absolutely. For my favourites, I can go several hours on repeat. And it just makes me love it more.

Let's see. Favourite Artists: :P

Josh Groban, Micheal Buble, The Whitlams, Maroon 5, Five for Fighting, Imogen Heap (Frou Frou), Keane, The Fray, Enya, Thirsty Merc, Ben Folds (Five), Dixie Chicks, Kasey Chambers, Juli, Silbermond, REM, Hayley Westenra, Fort Minor, The Decemberists, Sarah McLaughlin, Sting, Train, Missy Higgins, Linkin Park, Moby, Phil Collins, RENT (the Musical), Joseph (the Musical) Robbie Williams, The Killers, Keith Urban, Kaiser Chiefs, Jem, Gordon Lightfoot, Frank Sinatra, Elton John, Dido, The Corrs, Santana.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

YES. I *LOVE* music. It takes up 14GB on my computer. Nearly 2k files roflrofl!!! I *wish* I was old enough to get into clubs....yes I love dancing as well. Mostly to hip-hop..but most anything with a fast tempo works. To everything else I can only dance contemporary....and, hey, it's great exercise.

I listen to everything. Mostly Asian pop/rock, hip-hop and r&b...well, no, just everything. Even a few religious songs hehe. Country is alright but I don't think I have any on my computer.

Yes, I do the hour-long looping too.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Enneagram
    1w2

Who doesn't like music? I have no problem with dancing, I enjoy it. I dance in the shower, I dance in the car, I dance in my room. I don't sing though, I sound horrible. I tend to prefer my music without lyrics because I just want to hear the music, but if good lyrics and good music collide then it's all good.

I like upbeat, fast paced music like Baltimore Club, electronic (house, drum and bass, lounge), rap/hip-hop, classic soul, soundtracks, early 20th century gospel (Mahalia Jackson), top 40/pop. I'm not really a music elitist, I have no problem with popular artists like Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, or Madonna. If I like it, I like it.

I like fast-paced music because it appeals to me on some basic level. I like steady, heavy, bass lines because they make me move. I like music that builds up to a crescendo e.g. Chemical Brothers "Star Guitar" (sounds like walking in the sun), Mirwais "Disco Science" (sounds like sex), Basement Jaxx "Rendezvous" (sounds like a duel). I prefer upbeat music because slower, more melancholy tends to put me in a pensive mood.

Yeah, I recently had the Lust, Caution soundtrack on repeat for two days. Very beautiful.

Not really a coincidence that I like faster music and I'm also an extrovert. I enjoy melancholic music when I want to decompress or create a more introspective atmosphere for myself. I'll listen to something angsty like The Smiths or something.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    GONE

Ooh, so fun everyone's responses!

It's true 'who doesn't like music' (actually I did know 1 girl in hs who didn't have the patience for it and never listened to the radio). But some people really LOVE music to the point that they NEED it.

And it seems like a few of us really like d&B, breakbeat, jungle, garage -- I LOOOOOVE that kind of bass-heavy booty shaking music, especially vocal house when it has a really nice vocalist singing sometimes senseless but still emotional lyrics.

Maybe the other people I see shaking it at house night at the club are also ENF? Hahaha...

And this was posted on another forum, but here's some musical tests to rate your pitch awareness, tone deafness, and RHYTHM!

Notice the shameless plug I put for myself?

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...html#post61134