User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I consider the idea of cheering someone up insulting and invalidating. I am willing to be a sounding board, and if wanted, a distraction, but actively trying to change someone's mood . . . meh.

I'm interested to hear what others think about the concept, though.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7

I personally find crass humour to be strangely helpful...

Other than that...be positive in a way that's sort of gently playful, and maybe be physicaly attentive depending on the person.
    Come along Fool
    A direct hit of the senses you are disconnected
    It's not that it's bad, it's not that it's death
    It's just on the tip of your tongue, and you're so silent

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I consider the idea of cheering someone up insulting and invalidating. I am willing to be a sounding board, and if wanted, a distraction, but actively trying to change someone's mood . . . meh.

I'm interested to hear what others think about the concept, though.
    Good point. I try to understand what the person is feeling but at the same time try to be funny/ playful to help them feel better.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    of course you would test INFP in mbti, if you are INFp (NiFe), because the dichotomies are the same, in almost all tests.
    The dichotomies are defined differently...

I am a broken record.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

How to cheer up an INFP:

- tell them that they are annoying and boring to further deepen their sadness
    - those lines would be stuck in their heads for quite a while so just wait for a bit
    - after some time where they can't help but feel like they are a burden to you tell them they are one of the most entertaining and fun people you hang out with in a serious, I'm not messing around way. Make sure they think you are telling the truth.
    - this will remove some of their sadness from before along with the burden and they will feel happy

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    How to cheer up an INFP:

- those lines would be stuck in their heads for quite a while so just wait for a bit
    - after some time where they can't help but feel like they are a burden to you tell them they are one of the most entertaining and fun people you hang out with in a serious, I'm not messing around way. Make sure they think you are telling the truth.
    - this will remove some of their sadness from before along with the burden and they will feel happy
    The door would be smacking you in the behind before you ever make it to step 3.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    The door would be smacking you in the behind before you ever make it to step 3.
    Ah yes, the high chance of failure is perhaps the only drawback. I'd suggest someone do it with subtlety.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

How to cheer up an INFP:

Why oh why...
    "So I say, live and let live. Thats my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who cant go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

I've long since learned to not try and directly cheer up my good INFP friend with the antics when she's feeling down. Instead, I'll help turn her 1 person pity party into a full scale dance club extravaganza with pizza, her favorite dvds, wine and overindulgent makeup - she's a professional makeup artist and I am not,needless to say my makeup for her is tons sillier than hers on me.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

How to cheer up an INFP:

Someone would get a punch in the skull. To rattle their brain into working.

P.S. Sometimes violence is the answer.