• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] INFP Tertiary Si

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh: Here ya go:

Woman, you are seriously my hero, feeding my Ne like that :blush:
Ok..I'm going to be greedy and request one final thing: inferior Si for ENFPs in the other thread. Do so and you have my undying love :wubbie:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It might depend on age groups, but I know my father (INTP) says he solves a lot of problems from memory and doesn't need to use a lot of logic always. In contrast, as an ENFP, I hate relying on previous results or systems. I notice INFPs share this trait with INTPs also when it comes to people situations.

The other time I really notice Si in INxPs is their ability to collect large amounts of information on things. You might think this is a given, but ask an Si inferior type about doing it.

I'm not a huge "tertiary temptation" person, but for me, I think Si can be more of a "hey, this problem/situation looks familiar. Instead of analyzing this situation from the ground up, let's use the same template/model here too and see if it fits, so I can spend more time on this new problem."

It's kind of like taking a shortcut.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It might depend on age groups, but I know my father (INTP) says he solves a lot of problems from memory and doesn't need to use a lot of logic always. In contrast, as an ENFP, I hate relying on previous results or systems. I notice INFPs share this trait with INTPs also when it comes to people situations.

The other time I really notice Si in INxPs is their ability to collect large amounts of information on things. You might think this is a given, but ask an Si inferior type about doing it.

That's interesting..I mostly use solutions I've used before when it comes to things. People, I'll tailor new solutions for, as I feel confident that I can. But with things I will go for the tried and tested coz I'm not sure I can actually pull it off otherwise. If truly pressed for time though, I'll wing it, and see what kinda mess I make.

As for the gathering information...I thought that was typical of Ne? I mean..remembering and pulling from the database is Si but gathering, really? I tend to gather all kinds of information to then process and use to build patterns on. Just to have a solid foundation, a working knowledge and then later on put my own twist on it, or crossreference it with other subjects, ideas etc etc.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I dunno, my ENFP music history professor knows a lot. Although, he's not all about memorizing. He still knows a lot though. I know another ENFP who loves history. History might be the most information-dense subject there is.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm doing research on my ancestry; I also use habit as a method of not losing important things like my ID or my apartment keys. I think I also still have a decent portion of the periodic able of elements memorized...

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Steph's explanations were spot on. Thanks for sharing those!

I related to alot of what Nunki said. Si shows its head in three forms with me.

1) As a rewind tape to review old conversations and experiences. Usually highly detailed, and sometimes I notice things in memory that I missed in the moment. It's freaky when it's something like, "Oh wait a minute... Frank was there?!?" :laugh:

2) Establish habits and routines. I'm not happiest when I'm a slave to them, but I need them to relax a bit so I can get lost in my Fi world.

3) Looking at social constructs as a giant machine, with each part like a gear. A desire to understand the roles and places of people and things. Valuing the appropriateness of my actions in a greater societal context.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Steph's explanations were spot on. Thanks for sharing those!

I related to alot of what Nunki said. Si shows its head in three forms with me.

1) As a rewind tape to review old conversations and experiences. Usually highly detailed, and sometimes I notice things in memory that I missed in the moment. It's freaky when it's something like, "Oh wait a minute... Frank was there?!?" :laugh:

2) Establish habits and routines. I'm not happiest when I'm a slave to them, but I need them to relax a bit so I can get lost in my Fi world.

3) Looking at social constructs as a giant machine, with each part like a gear. A desire to understand the roles and places of people and things. Valuing the appropriateness of my actions in a greater societal context.

:yes:

Especially the reflecting on past situations/conversations thing. Sometimes, when I relive things later, they feel more real then and I get more out of it. I can focus a lot better. The present can seem surreal and overwhelming sometimes.

I personally find my Si works in conjunct with Ne. It can kind of anchor Ne from floating off into the clouds.

I posted this in a thread about how my Ne + Si works together (I bolded the Si parts):

Well...Ne Si probably influences how I dress, eat/cook, and design. I must have a variety of clothes to choose from, and I get bored with the same combination over & over. I can often look at clothing and tell what material it is based on what I already own. I might know if something is authentic vintage or not by looking at it. In a more literal sense, I like to combine innovative and quirky looks with classic, tried-&-true elements.

As for food, I can tell when something is made differently from how I'm used to it. I can sometimes figure out how to make something w/out a recipe by experimenting with different options until I recreate those flavors. I may come up with a new dish by connecting it to a possibly unconnected past experience & applying a similar concept. I don't like to eat the same thing too often. Variety is the spice!

For design, it's the same thing....new approaches and ideas, tempered by an understanding of what has been effective in the past. In school we were taught that you have to learn the rules of design so you'll know how to break them, and that sounds very Ne Si to me

That part makes a lot of sense to me.

As for routine... I don't really establish a routine, not consciously, in fact, I'd rather avoid it. Which is not to say that I don't fall into a routine, but activities that become a routine will generally end up being meaningless, dull and unpleasant for me.
So I shake things up. Doing things that are unordinary and strange. Even simple things, like the alarm clock - I don't have a set time for it to ring, I set it to a different time each night, the way I take go to school, the time I go to sleep, etc. There are also stranger and probably silly things, that I don't care to mention.
But it all still feels like shaking up the routine, which would mean that the routine is there, but compared to most people, I probably at least appear less routinous.

I seriously dislike holidays.

I ran out of ideas, will add later maybe.

I do this also...including the alarm clock thing :D
I will take a different route to get to the same place. I have 2-3 coffee shops I frequent, so I don't get stuck going to the same one. My regular habits have enough variation so that I don't get burnt out and bored. Although, as Udog mentioned, I will go on autopilot when I just want to space out and indulge Fi fantasy.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok..that's creepy. I completely relate to that. the Te thing makes me feel like a complete failure, though I *am* getting a better grip on it these days.
I'm improving a little bit too. Reading self-help books (like The Now Habit) has been a real help, and I expect my problems to leave altogether once I have external motivations. At the moment, there's no pressure whatsoever and only some very distant rewards, so in a way it's hardly a surprise that I have trouble with Te.

Amargith said:
Question: so how do you stick to an Si routine with Ne not shutting up? I do the multitasking thing as well btw, very much so. And once I get an obsession/curious about something there is no stopping Ne..and out the window goes the routine. For that matter, spending time basking in Si is blissfull but it makes me restless after a while.
Basically, there are certain things I have to do each day or my self-esteem (Fi) will suffer. Sometimes I'll spend many minutes and even hours wasting my time, and all the while a pressure to do something productive will build up inside of me. At some point this pressure becomes unbearable, and so I relieve it by getting down to business. As a natural side-effect, Ne (and Se) get put on hold or at least channeled into whatever activity I'm doing. It sounds like this would lead to an irregular schedule, but somehow everything falls into a general routine without any real thought on my part.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Ya know, if you were male, I'd swear you were flirting with me :D
:smooch:

LOL, all this tertiary / inferior stuff is like a tangle of weeds to me. I sometimes want to watch an old movie to relax because I liked it before, and suppose that's Si wanting to recapture the feelings / experience of the first time. But it's seldom as enjoyable. And I used to rewind conversations etc. ad nauseum to place the proper meaning and context. But now, not so much. Only when I've said something out loud that I thought in my head but generally would keep to myself. Like a couple of weeks ago, when I told the used car salesman I wanted to beat him up for selling a car to my daughter that had only snow tires. (He responded by telling me not to promise him a good time like that.) Yep, the filter fell off for that one. And I couldn't BELIEVE I said it. Thought about that one for a while.

I am in my 40's now, so I could be developing my tertiary / inferior functions. ?? When is that supposed to "happen"?

I am just bouncing around the ol' ENFP / INFP thing, as is Amargith. Me, going towards ENFP again; Amar, towards INFP if I am not mistaken.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Yup..sounds about right. I hate the feeling of that pressure building up though, and somehow it doesn't seem to be enough routine in my case that it provides...on the other hand, too much routine just drives me up the walls. It's hard to balance out, I find.

Peace: If I ever do go bi, I'll call ya..I like my own breed when it comes to my own gender :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm really bored, so I thought I'd post this from the same book I used to post on the ENFP thread :p

Hope that's a good starting point!

See here, this thing that you quoted, is one of those things that makes me question if I am an INFP.

I remember not too long ago taking great joy in being able to arrange my silverware in holder thingy in the drawer almost exactly like my grandmother kept hers when I was little. Stuff like that comforts me.

Also, I like history, especially certain eras and from certain social standpoints.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Peace: If I ever do go bi, I'll call ya..I like my own breed when it comes to my own gender :D

It's sisterly love, sweetie. I like playing with words, and since I could infer that you were working on the same questions, I was having a little playful fun too.

But just in a purely platonic way.

:hug:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like it...teach me more :D

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
This Si temptation business probably explains my (often mawkish) susceptibility to nostalgia and my tendency to revisit old books, movies and favourite computer games I played when I was a teenager, even though they aren't very good by modern standards. DOSBox gets a workout. I have a few games I've played so many times now that there's absolutely no challenge left in them, yet I continue playing them periodically. I've always thought Si had a lot to do with that. It's not all the time, but often enough to be noticeable, and more often when I'm under stress.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I use Si mainly to establish a daily routine. Unlike a more Te-based routine, mine is less about efficiency and more about a set of guidelines based on what has worked for me in the past. It feels kind of like a rhythm that goes through the same notes each day. It's a rhythm very easy to interrupt, though. If I get sick, for example, so that I can't keep the routine going, I often struggle to pick myself up once I get better. That can mean several unproductive days, during which I'm trying (and sometimes not trying) to rebuild the momentum.

That's the positive side of Si. On the negative end of things, Si never ceases to regurgitate the worst memories. Every little mistake, every little embarrassment--for no good reason and with no provocation whatsoever, Si must remind me of them. Pleasant memories? I don't know any pleasant memories. I've had plenty of happy experiences, to be sure, but when I even bother to think of them, they either bore me, embarrass me, or depress me.

I can relate. I think that I'm so high-attachment that I can establish a habit after just one time. However, that's just the desire to repeat; missing one time quickly establishes a counter-habit.

Sure, I'll give it a try.

As far as how I put a routine together, I take my digestion cycle as the starting point. Every day I can expect to get hungry at about the same time, by necessity, and so I weave things around that one uncontrollable rhythm in such a way as to make them fit comfortably. What's comfortable, and why it should be so, is difficult to articulate. It probably comes down to the ever ineffable Fi, which gets structured with a touch of Te and cemented by some Si. Si and Te then feed right back into Fi by making it all the more comfortable with the way things are proceeding.

The motivations for this daily routine result from its practical effect. Its practical effect is that it gives my life a sense of structure, which leads to productivity because I know what to do, which in turn brings a small measure of self-esteem.

Something light at ten, either light or heavy at noon, heavy at two if light at noon, light at three if heavy at noon, light at five, etc. (But it's more instinctive and variable than it sounds.) Everything else has to fit around that; for example, it would really suck to suddenly get low blood sugar in the middle of a two mile run, even if that's just on a treadmill downstairs, since it would interrupt my routine.

I have a lot of trouble with Te. I find it easy enough to write up lists and whatnot, but when it comes time to make use of those, I run up against a wall. In order to follow a procedure, I need the motivation to do so, and that motivation isn't always easy to come by. Motivation has a will of its own. I can go days without the desire to do anything, and then inspiration will strike without warning. But when it does so, it only directs itself toward a small subset of the tasks I want to accomplish. So I may have the most efficient list you can imagine, and have no power to make use of it, simply because I don't and can't feel like it. It's like being stranded in a wilderness with a car that won't start. You could get out in no time at all, only the tank is empty.

Yes, this. I celebrate every day where I get even just one thing done outside of the regular monthly needs of personal maintenance.

I'm weird because Si is supposed to be my tertiary, but actually Ni is. The difference I think is that I remember literally everything -- but it's in my subconscious and it could take an hour (or twelve) for me to fish it out when I need it. With my secondary Ne helping to tease out the answer-fish, I do far better on tests than I think I should.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I dunno, my ENFP music history professor knows a lot. Although, he's not all about memorizing. He still knows a lot though. I know another ENFP who loves history. History might be the most information-dense subject there is.

I meant in a reading through detailed information way. I notice everything all the time, and analyse it, and connect it to other things I know. So I think most ENFPs have a massive store of info. An INTP or INFP seems happier to read through 20 articles and do a literature review, I gather information more as a side effect of interest and exploring, I don't do the read this, this and this thing as easily.

lamp

Any INFPs care to ruminate about their use of Te? I am speculating about the differences of healthy and unhealthy (tertiary temptation) Te use in ENFPs, and it would be nice to see how the 'other' NFPs do it.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
To lamp: As for Te, I enjoy things like creating travel itineraries (to hit as many interesting spots with as little rushing as possible) or learning and personalizing recipes. Also, in my Holland Code, there's a significant quaternary influence that finds comfort in following a routine. I'm able to reason through the obvious steps of a mathematical proof, but the mechanicalness of it makes it sort of like folding laundry, which I find meditative but not inherently interesting; what I really enjoy about proofs is digging my teeth into finding the key to the hard part, which I use my Ne/Ni tag team for.

Presumptuous Pepper

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm really bored, so I thought I'd post this from the same book I used to post on the ENFP thread :p

Tertiary Si: Find relief with introverted Sensing (INTP/INFP)
They often enjoy activities like revisiting places they've been, ideas they've explored, and the history of their family, their organization, or even their culture. They collect detailed information about what interests them and may devote time to researching the past to build on what others have already done. They may be drawn to collect memorabilia or keep extensive records of activities and interests. They recognize familiar subtle sensory elements such as tastes, aromas, and spellings. In the physical world, they take comfort in familiarity. They may avoid or resist new experiences preferring to have new experiences match the old ones that were enjoyable.
When Younger, they tend not to remember details or put much stock in expected results based on past experience. As they grow, they find they have acquired a rich storehouse of memories, and they learn to recall with accurate detail how something was before and will likely review the past to see what lessons can be learned from it. They often go from avoiding participation in traditions and holidays to genuinely enjoying these.
Engaging in introverted Sensing can be unsettling and disruptive at times. They can give too much detail or become too focused on reviewing the past and what's established as valid, even if it is for lessons learned. Or they may end up collecting endless quantities of miscellaneous items that give them comfort in their familiarity but clutter their physical lives.

Hope that's a good starting point!

can someone maybe tell me where did you got this from...
an article link or more further source for tertiary Si?