• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] INFP Tertiary Si

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alright, we've done INTJ, we've done ENFP. Now I would love to see how INFPs use their Si and what they find challenging and what not :D

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I'm waiting too ... not sure if I will relate to this as much as Te temptation ...

C'mon get posting here already!

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Blah blah blah Si.

Challenging? Relationships, and Math more advanced than basic Algebra.

Everything else is cake. :newwink:

:hug:

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm INTP, but isn't this the function that you turn to when you're stressed and start procrastinating/organizing everything?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm really bored, so I thought I'd post this from the same book I used to post on the ENFP thread :p

Tertiary Si: Find relief with introverted Sensing (INTP/INFP)
They often enjoy activities like revisiting places they've been, ideas they've explored, and the history of their family, their organization, or even their culture. They collect detailed information about what interests them and may devote time to researching the past to build on what others have already done. They may be drawn to collect memorabilia or keep extensive records of activities and interests. They recognize familiar subtle sensory elements such as tastes, aromas, and spellings. In the physical world, they take comfort in familiarity. They may avoid or resist new experiences preferring to have new experiences match the old ones that were enjoyable.
When Younger, they tend not to remember details or put much stock in expected results based on past experience. As they grow, they find they have acquired a rich storehouse of memories, and they learn to recall with accurate detail how something was before and will likely review the past to see what lessons can be learned from it. They often go from avoiding participation in traditions and holidays to genuinely enjoying these.
Engaging in introverted Sensing can be unsettling and disruptive at times. They can give too much detail or become too focused on reviewing the past and what's established as valid, even if it is for lessons learned. Or they may end up collecting endless quantities of miscellaneous items that give them comfort in their familiarity but clutter their physical lives.

Hope that's a good starting point!

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I want to know why there are so many INFPs who list their type as XNFP, or INXP...what are you so afraid of?

Sorry to hijack...proceed.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm really bored, so I thought I'd post this from the same book I used to post on the ENFP thread :p

Hope that's a good starting point!

Steph, you rock, girl. That was exactly what I was hoping you'd do, I enjoyed your contribution in the ENFP thread as well. Also, it helps me with my selfish reason for startnig this thread...

I want to know why there are so many INFPs who list their type as XNFP, or INXP...what are you so afraid of?

Sorry to hijack...proceed.

Some of us are just trying to figure ourselves out.
I've been shifting as of late, from extraverted to introverted. Most still consider me an ENFP, but it depends on the situation. I've become increasingly more withdrawn and am working way more with Fi these days than Ne, though both are close in strength. And..I started this thread to confirm a suspicion I've had for a while...I can enjoy Te, but I cannot keep it up. When it comes to tertiary temptation, Si hits the spot, as described by Stephs quote...I'm INFP according to this.

Yet I am too boisterous, too present and have too much of a silly streak to be INFP, as well as not matching your emotional depth.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I use Si mainly to establish a daily routine. Unlike a more Te-based routine, mine is less about efficiency and more about a set of guidelines based on what has worked for me in the past. It feels kind of like a rhythm that goes through the same notes each day. It's a rhythm very easy to interrupt, though. If I get sick, for example, so that I can't keep the routine going, I often struggle to pick myself up once I get better. That can mean several unproductive days, during which I'm trying (and sometimes not trying) to rebuild the momentum.

That's the positive side of Si. On the negative end of things, Si never ceases to regurgitate the worst memories. Every little mistake, every little embarrassment--for no good reason and with no provocation whatsoever, Si must remind me of them. Pleasant memories? I don't know any pleasant memories. I've had plenty of happy experiences, to be sure, but when I even bother to think of them, they either bore me, embarrass me, or depress me.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds very familiar. Can you expand on how you put a routine together and what the motivations behind it are, how it practically takes effect?

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds very familiar. Can you expand on how you put a routine together and what the motivations behind it are, how it practically takes effect?
Sure, I'll give it a try.

As far as how I put a routine together, I take my digestion cycle as the starting point. Every day I can expect to get hungry at about the same time, by necessity, and so I weave things around that one uncontrollable rhythm in such a way as to make them fit comfortably. What's comfortable, and why it should be so, is difficult to articulate. It probably comes down to the ever ineffable Fi, which gets structured with a touch of Te and cemented by some Si. Si and Te then feed right back into Fi by making it all the more comfortable with the way things are proceeding.

The motivations for this daily routine result from its practical effect. Its practical effect is that it gives my life a sense of structure, which leads to productivity because I know what to do, which in turn brings a small measure of self-esteem.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sure, I'll give it a try.

As far as how I put a routine together, I take my digestion cycle as the starting point. Every day I can expect to get hungry at about the same time, by necessity, and so I weave things around that one uncontrollable rhythm in such a way as to make them fit comfortably. What's comfortable, and why it should be so, is difficult to articulate. It probably comes down to the ever ineffable Fi, which gets structured with a touch of Te and cemented by some Si. Si and Te then feed right back into Fi by making it all the more comfortable with the way things are proceeding.

The motivations for this daily routine result from its practical effect. Its practical effect is that it gives my life a sense of structure, which leads to productivity because I know what to do, which in turn brings a small measure of self-esteem.

Thank you for the explanation. I recognize this, but I tend to rebel against it (I hate going to sleep which then inevitably changes my biorythm constantly making those moments not so fixed). Ne doesn't like being shut off for irrelevant things like food and sleep.

It's interesting. So far, I always subscribed this stuff to Fi though coz it gives that 'feel-good' vibe when you hit it just right :D

Ok, I'm going to derail my own thread and ask you about inferior Te..if you don't mind. Steph, if you feel up to it, feel free to quote that book of yours as well on this topic :D

(sorry guys, I'm on a mission :blush:)

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's the positive side of Si. On the negative end of things, Si never ceases to regurgitate the worst memories. Every little mistake, every little embarrassment--for no good reason and with no provocation whatsoever, Si must remind me of them. Pleasant memories? I don't know any pleasant memories. I've had plenty of happy experiences, to be sure, but when I even bother to think of them, they either bore me, embarrass me, or depress me.

That part makes a lot of sense to me.

As for routine... I don't really establish a routine, not consciously, in fact, I'd rather avoid it. Which is not to say that I don't fall into a routine, but activities that become a routine will generally end up being meaningless, dull and unpleasant for me.
So I shake things up. Doing things that are unordinary and strange. Even simple things, like the alarm clock - I don't have a set time for it to ring, I set it to a different time each night, the way I take go to school, the time I go to sleep, etc. There are also stranger and probably silly things, that I don't care to mention.
But it all still feels like shaking up the routine, which would mean that the routine is there, but compared to most people, I probably at least appear less routinous.

I seriously dislike holidays.

I ran out of ideas, will add later maybe.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok, I'm going to derail my own thread and ask you about inferior Te..if you don't mind. Steph, if you feel up to it, feel free to quote that book of yours as well on this topic :D

There's more to it, but right now, I'll just say that I hate really stupid people.

Actually, I'm going to write more, but I'm not going to bother to reword the first sentence..

I use Te when giving instructions to someone, in a step-by-step way. I think I'm using Te when I'm in charge of something. I'll organize the people involved. Also, in arguments (using tangible, logical data and trying to stay objective.)
Again, may add more ideas later. My bridge of thought is being disturbed by a troll.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:D Then you should be able to appreciate what I'm doing

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
:) i do ... we are coming at the same question from the opposite ends of it.

Cryptic, aren't we?

Ne doesn't like being shut off for irrelevant things like food and sleep.

Indeed not!

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you for the explanation. I recognize this, but I tend to rebel against it (I hate going to sleep which then inevitably changes my biorythm constantly making those moments not so fixed). Ne doesn't like being shut off for irrelevant things like food and sleep.
I have this trouble too. I'm on such a constant alert, in fact, that I almost never cease to refresh web pages every five or so minutes. It's as if I can't shut my eyes to any one thing that's important to me. If I do, I'll miss something, I don't know what. As a result, I've learned to multitask. If I were to take the alternative and focus on one thing, I would get distracted by the possibility of missing something, and become less productive.

Amargith said:
Ok, I'm going to derail my own thread and ask you about inferior Te..
I have a lot of trouble with Te. I find it easy enough to write up lists and whatnot, but when it comes time to make use of those, I run up against a wall. In order to follow a procedure, I need the motivation to do so, and that motivation isn't always easy to come by. Motivation has a will of its own. I can go days without the desire to do anything, and then inspiration will strike without warning. But when it does so, it only directs itself toward a small subset of the tasks I want to accomplish. So I may have the most efficient list you can imagine, and have no power to make use of it, simply because I don't and can't feel like it. It's like being stranded in a wilderness with a car that won't start. You could get out in no time at all, only the tank is empty.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:) i do ... we are coming at the same question from the opposite ends of it.

Cryptic, aren't we?

Indeed not!

Ya know, if you were male, I'd swear you were flirting with me :D

I have this trouble too. I'm on such a constant alert, in fact, that I almost never cease to refresh web pages every five or so minutes. It's as if I can't shut my eyes to any one thing that's important to me. If I do, I'll miss something, I don't know what. As a result, I've learned to multitask. If I were to take the alternative and focus on one thing, I would get distracted by the possibility of missing something, and become less productive.

I have a lot of trouble with Te. I find it easy enough to write up lists and whatnot, but when it comes time to make use of those, I run up against a wall. In order to follow a procedure, I need the motivation to do so, and that motivation isn't always easy to come by. Motivation has a will of its own. I can go days without the desire to do anything, and then inspiration will strike without warning. But when it does so, it only directs itself toward a small subset of the tasks I want to accomplish. So I may have the most efficient list you can imagine, and have no power to make use of it, simply because I don't and can't feel like it. It's like being stranded in a wilderness with a car that won't start. You could get out in no time at all, only the tank is empty.

Ok..that's creepy. I completely relate to that. the Te thing makes me feel like a complete failure, though I *am* getting a better grip on it these days.

Question: so how do you stick to an Si routine with Ne not shutting up? I do the multitasking thing as well btw, very much so. And once I get an obsession/curious about something there is no stopping Ne..and out the window goes the routine. For that matter, spending time basking in Si is blissfull but it makes me restless after a while.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:laugh: Here ya go:

Inferior Te: Aspire to extraverted Thinking (INFP/ISFP)
While they may be rather disorganized and struggle with structure and putting their lives in order, they want to be efficient and systematic. The often find adhering to schedules can be very taxing, but they know the importance of them. When they notice something is not functioning right, they may scold themselves for not being organized enough. Over time, using methods to better control their environment and lives becomes more important to them and they tend to pay more attention to sequencing actions and organizing time for optimal efficiency, actually enjoying organizing their space and time.

When they're younger, thinking through multiplicity of real-life logical consequences that follow from holding to particular beliefs may not occur to them. As they grow, they begin to find it easier to think through a wide range of long-term consequences and prepare for them in advance in an objective manner.

They may conform their thinking to what is observed as a measurable fact and lay out reasonable explanations for decisions and conclusions made, although they may do so in an argumentative fashion that is counter to their usual easy-going manner. Later in life, they may be involved in building and maintaining a far-reaching organization.

They can become out of control with this process and become rigidly organized and dogmatic, too wedded to their logic and rationales to engage in true dialog. Then they become insensitive to others' responses and keep pushing for their stance.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm INTP, but isn't this the function that you turn to when you're stressed and start procrastinating/organizing everything?

It might depend on age groups, but I know my father (INTP) says he solves a lot of problems from memory and doesn't need to use a lot of logic always. In contrast, as an ENFP, I hate relying on previous results or systems. I notice INFPs share this trait with INTPs also when it comes to people situations.

The other time I really notice Si in INxPs is their ability to collect large amounts of information on things. You might think this is a given, but ask an Si inferior type about doing it.