First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Fi people suppress their feelings
    Fe people express their feelings
    I was thinking about this yesterday - it resonates with me as the most concise yet accurate description of the two.

There's this misconception that Fi dominant individuals are so "emo" yet you would be hard-pressed to know what I am feeling because I keep the real stuff inside for the most part. And when I sense someone is trying to read me I tuck it away deeper if I don't really want to share it.

Fe tells me what the "appropriate" social responses are and over the years I have developed it very well. To me it is a veneer over the less pretty stuff I might be thinking inside about any given situation or person.

MBTI
    INFP

I've heard Fe describes as being able to sense feelings radiating from others and see the way that they connect between people. This is what gives way to the 'social etiquette' idea that gets equated with Fe. Fe users want harmony in the world. When unchecked, Fe users can lose themselves in maintaining his harmony to the point of overlooking their feelings.

Fi is an inner experience of feelings. They begin internally. Fi wants harmony in themselves. Fi relates to people by taking on the feelings of others as their own. When unchecked, Fi users can lose themselves by taking on these feelings to such an extent it forgets about itself. Fi will help others by helping them find inner harmony, rather than between many people.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Fi people suppress their feelings
    Fe people express their feelings
    Eh, I don't like this. I don't repress my feelings; I just don't deal with them externally, so they are not always visible on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybin View Post
    I've heard Fe describes as being able to sense feelings radiating from others and see the way that they connect between people. This is what gives way to the 'social etiquette' idea that gets equated with Fe. Fe users want harmony in the world. When unchecked, Fe users can lose themselves in maintaining his harmony to the point of overlooking their feelings.

Fi is an inner experience of feelings. They begin internally. Fi wants harmony in themselves. Fi relates to people by taking on the feelings of others as their own. When unchecked, Fi users can lose themselves by taking on these feelings to such an extent it forgets about itself. Fi will help others by helping them find inner harmony, rather than between many people.
    Agreed.

Fe aims to create external harmony between people, especially between others and themselves.

Fi aims to create internal harmony, within themselves & within others.
    I would say that Fi can be more in danger of becoming self-absorbed than losing themselves in empathy. Unhealthy Fi is only concerned about it's own inner harmony.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Eh, I don't like this. I don't repress my feelings; I just don't deal with them externally, so they are not always visible on the surface.
    Not dealing with feelings externally = Suppressing feelings

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7

"Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior. Fe responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subjectís own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others."
    Essentially they're empathic and so move towards external harmony.

"Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation. With Fi as their dominant function, INFPs live primarily in a rich inner world of emotion."
    Fi has more connection with internal emotion, sense of 'rightness' and 'wrongness' and yet also autheticity. A mixture between what's good (harmonious) and what's true, and real to ones innerself. ~Both quotes from wiki.

This confuses me a tad. I'm likely Fi, but it's not as if I'm masses amounts of volatile emotion; almost the opposite. My feelings only show their real, strong, true faces' occasionally. I introspect on happiness and contentedness too much to ever let myself believe there's much feeling in those concepts. The 'criteria' must be adhered to, and so it leaves me thinking things through, though not for Fe reasons(though now I say this...) - here's my guess at a distinction...

I must be 'good' because that's what feels 'right'.
    I must be 'good' because of how others percieve (me)/will react (to me).

And, last wifflewaffle, I'm far too second guessing to know what's wrong or right...

*Is majorly going to bed now* Just putting some thoughts on the table.
    Come along Fool
    A direct hit of the senses you are disconnected
    It's not that it's bad, it's not that it's death
    It's just on the tip of your tongue, and you're so silent

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Not dealing with feelings externally = Suppressing feelings
    Not at all. I deal with them internally.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This is a bunch of bullshit. I have Fi and I definitely don't repress my feelings. In fact I often deal with them externally.

so.

wrong.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Not at all. I deal with them internally.
    And how exactly do you deal with them? Isn't that what suppressing feelings is. Hiding your emotions. Like when you feel upset but you don't show it and the more you don't show it the more it gets suppressed inside because you can't let it out.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

And how exactly do you deal with them? Isn't that what suppressing feelings is. Hiding your emotions. Like when you feel upset but you don't show it and the more you don't show it the more it gets suppressed inside because you can't let it out.
    Dunno if this pertains to other INFP's... but I talk to myself. Yes. I admit it. Lol.

But what does dealing with feelings externally mean, exactly? Like voicing them to someone else, or composing music? Maybe internally vs. externally are too simple words for a too complex system. But I'm basically writing myself into a hole right now.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ahem. Again I say: I express my emotions. I'm very expressive. Even if I'm an ENFP, I still have Fi.

So your theory isn't quite right. I don't believe that all Fi people don't express their emotions. In fact, they might express them openly, but just not always in a socially appropriate manner.