User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: 4w5 ... 5w4?

Default 4w5 ... 5w4?

I'm going to post this here because I'm primary interested in hearing responses from NFs or possibly NTs...

Can someone please help me understand the difference between these two...possibly giving example of how each would think/act...? They just seem so similar but I am sure there is something definite that separates them. I cannot find any substantial literature on the subject...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I'm going to post this here because I'm primary interested in hearing responses from NFs or possibly NTs...

Can someone please help me understand the difference between these two...possibly giving example of how each would think/act...? They just seem so similar but I am sure there is something definite that separates them. I cannot find any substantial literature on the subject...
    Well 5w4 usually equates to INTP and 4w5 usually relates to INFJ or sometimes INFP. I think 5s are basically logical beings and 4s are more emotional.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I ring up 5w4 on Enneagram tests, but I'm INFJ. I've also learned that I tend to use my Ti more than my Fe. I would propose that I'm INTP, but I'm way too J to be any sort of P.

The simple difference between the two is feelings vs logic. 4s, whether with a 3 or 5 wing, are described as emotional beings, while 5s use their logic more over their feelings.

I think 4w5s have a more 'dreamy' attribute to their self, while 5w4 is still very creative, but in a more logical sense. I suppose a good analogy would be Fantasy or Sci-Fi, however nerdy that sounds.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by fill View Post
    I think 4w5s have a more 'dreamy' attribute to their self, while 5w4 is still very creative, but in a more logical sense. I suppose a good analogy would be Fantasy or Sci-Fi, however nerdy that sounds.
    I'm a 5w4 INTJ, and I heart sci fi. Fantasy is great too, but once it shifts into "unicorns and the power of love" gear, it gets too fruity for me.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Quote Originally Posted by fill View Post
    I ring up 5w4 on Enneagram tests, but I'm INFJ. I've also learned that I tend to use my Ti more than my Fe. I would propose that I'm INTP, but I'm way too J to be any sort of P.

The simple difference between the two is feelings vs logic. 4s, whether with a 3 or 5 wing, are described as emotional beings, while 5s use their logic more over their feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I'm a 5w4 INTJ, and I heart sci fi. Fantasy is great too, but once it shifts into "unicorns and the power of love" gear, it gets too fruity for me.
    I still can't decide... I love Sci-Fi and Fantasy... I've read/enjoyed more Sci-Fi though...
    The extent of my fantasy loving is pretty much just LOTR and Harry Potter... anything else makes me want to die because of its overly whimsical and vomit inducing nature. Unless it's morbid/dark in some way I will hate it.

I love mythology though but I suppose that doesn't really count as fantasy because there's historical significance to it.

Can you be emotional and intellectual? Is that what a 4w5 is?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

I think so. A good example of a 4w5 is Edgar Allan Poe. He not only wrote poetry like The Raven, but also wrote short stories in other genres like Sci-Fi and adventure (The Gold Bug). He definitely had a logical mind that comes through in some of his stories.

FWIW I think the love of morbid/dark is kind of quintessentially 4w5. Although 5w4s can gravitate towards that too (e.g, Kubrick).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, last I tested, I was a 4w5 INTJ.

It's interesting that you bring up this point. I find myself guided by somewhat emotional principles, not so much the emotions themselves. Yet, intellectual practices are my main mode of living within those principles.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticus View Post
    I think so. A good example of a 4w5 is Edgar Allan Poe. He not only wrote poetry like The Raven, but also wrote short stories in other genres like Sci-Fi and adventure (The Gold Bug). He definitely had a logical mind that comes through in some of his stories.

FWIW I think the love of morbid/dark is kind of quintessentially 4w5. Although 5w4s can gravitate towards that too (e.g, Kubrick).

agreed.

poe is a good example of 4w5 also because he is dark, but overall more romantic.

according to riso, tim burton is a 5w4 - romantic, but probably with more dark/tragic overtones. the 5 brings cynicism to the 4 romanticism.

i remember reading somewhere that 5w4 is supposed to romanticise the tragic and the twisted while the 4w5 simply finds something tragic or twisted within the romantic.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    i remember reading somewhere that 5w4 is supposed to romanticise the tragic and the twisted while the 4w5 simply finds something tragic or twisted within the romantic.
    Oddly enough that sounds about right. I'm 5w4.

According to Enneagram 4s are driven by the need to seek out and create their identity, and 5s are driven by the need to be competent. It makes sense then that you could have NT 4s and NF 5s. Personally I think the only thing Enneagram does well is to highlight motivations, so choosing between them would likely be a matter of deciding which basic drive is most important to you, and the secondary one would be your wing. The whole business is pretty imprecise flexible.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Sniffles

I'm not a big fan of fantasy either, but I have contempt for most sci-fi.