• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs the rarest type...

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFJs are supposed to be rare. Maybe it's possible that when research was done to find the percentage number of each type, INFJs were only rare because they were the hardest to actually type.
SO catching the INFJ in their original state was really hard. INFJs can easily mislead people into thinking they are any other personality type.

I'm just saying INFJs could be more common than we think they actually are. I'm not sure exactly how the research was carried out so if they had their own 'full-proof' method to determining the INFJ then I could be wrong.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
a cute INTJ girl is more rare. Wait you ARE a cute intj girl !!

Want to make out some time ? :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ok then, she is all yours.

But only because its you :)

Nyx

Well, the way I think about it is like this. In real life I don't know any INFJs. I recently and I pretty confidently believe I have typed myself as INFJ. I only know of another INFJ (male) who told an acquaintance of mine he was this type.

On this forum and other Myers Briggs forums there seem to be an abundance of rare types... Either people are miss typing themselves as these rare types or these types are naturally more attracted to the forum to discuss Myers Briggs because it is interesting to them. INTPs, INFJs, INTJs especially, it seems like there are too many of them on this forum for them to be only 1-3% of the population. However when I think about the world (as much as I can perceive it in my limited sphere) and all the people I know (I am very good at typing as I am can figure out people well) I am being honest when I say I only know one INTJ, two ENTPs, and no INTPs. Consequently the ENTPs are my best friends with the INTJ being a general friend. I have another good friend who is an ENFP. (ENTPs and ENFPs are my favorite types <3). Outside of my group of friends I really do not know or know of many more Ns in general. I think around 70% of the population are Sensors, which I can believe. If I knew more Ns I would be friends with them. I am good friends with every N I have met thus far. So I think they are actually rare. I can pick an NT or NF out very easily. I can feel it when they are near me.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
They do seem to be everywhere on the internet.

I've only known one INFJ in real life though. Then again, the only type I know multiples of is ISFJ.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, the way I think about it is like this. In real life I don't know any INFJs. I recently and I pretty confidently believe I have typed myself as INFJ. I only know of another INFJ (male) who told an acquaintance of mine he was this type.

On this forum and other Myers Briggs forums there seem to be an abundance of rare types... Either people are miss typing themselves as these rare types or these types are naturally more attracted to the forum to discuss Myers Briggs because it is interesting to them. INTPs, INFJs, INTJs especially, it seems like there are too many of them on this forum for them to be only 1-3% of the population. However when I think about the world (as much as I can perceive it in my limited sphere) and all the people I know (I am very good at typing as I am can figure out people well) I am being honest when I say I only know one INTJ, two ENTPs, and no INTPs. Consequently the ENTPs are my best friends with the INTJ being a general friend. I have another good friend who is an ENFP. (ENTPs and ENFPs are my favorite types <3). Outside of my group of friends I really do not know or know of many more Ns in general. I think around 70% of the population are Sensors, which I can believe. If I knew more Ns I would be friends with them. I am good friends with every N I have met thus far. So I think they are actually rare. I can pick an NT or NF out very easily. I can feel it when they are near me.
Understandable. You say you never really knew any INFJs. Im saying it's really hard to find an INFJ because they are really hard to type. You'd have to know them on a very personal level to properly type them. This is why I'm saying that INFJs could well possibly be more common than what we think. Their personality changes quite often.
Also I am not at all considering how many of the types are on this forum and comparing it to the world. This forum is just somewhat of a magnet to them and that's why many of them are here.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not comparing the amount of INFJs on the internet to the world. Only how hidden they are in the world. What you would type as an ENFP could well be another INFJ. It's really hard to type them.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

I've only known one INFJ in real life though. Then again, the only type I know multiples of is ISFJ.

ISFJ is btw the worst type too at typing themselves and the most likely to join a psychology forum. The first part of this sentence I know from experience on this forum and the second part I assumed from personal experience.

I wont go on with that idea cause I dont want to destroy ideals, but if you do the math here you will find out that infj is indeed damn rare.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJs can easily mislead people into thinking they are any other personality type.

Their personality changes quite often.

This kind of surprises me to hear. Is this some kind of general consensus that I haven't heard before or your own observation?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
This kind of surprises me to hear. Is this some kind of general consensus that I haven't heard before or your own observation?

I dont agree with that too. INFJ may be good at soul reading but they are no harm doers

Nyx

Understandable. You say you never really knew any INFJs. Im saying it's really hard to find an INFJ because they are really hard to type. You'd have to know them on a very personal level to properly type them. This is why I'm saying that INFJs could well possibly be more common than what we think. Their personality changes quite often.
Also I am not at all considering how many of the types are on this forum and comparing it to the world. This forum is just somewhat of a magnet to them and that's why many of them are here.

Yeah this forum is a magnet alright, makes sense doesn't it?

I see what you are saying. Yes they are very hard to type, but I don't think it is because they change often. I think they just have many dimensions. I had a hard time typing myself even. People I do not know well type me as an INTX and people who know me well type me as an INFX or less frequently INTX. Which I will admit was a little disconcerting because I have known them for years and can easily type them. The most common comment people have made about me is ... "You are so mysterious" or "You seem like you are on another plane." People claim I am very hard to get to know. They say I say a lot about things yet say nothing revealing who I truly am. I honestly do not understand this because I don't do it intentionally, obviously. I almost feel a little weird when people tell me how enigmatic I am. It keeps certain aggressive type in constant pursuit of figuring me out/interested in my supposed many dimensions...err... I guess that's kind of cool.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
The only INFJ I know in real life is one of my students. She first took a test and turned out as INTJ. I told her, OH NO YOU AREN'T! She looked at a comparison chart and the descriptions and she agreed she is definitely INFJ and was deserved that she was the same type as me. :)

She's a trooper for do-gooding with a full-schedule and social but also introverted in many ways. I was INFP as a teen, so I imagine that's the way an INFJ teen may appear.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFJs unintentionally change in their real life interactions. The quick changing of moods is one of the things that make them really hard to type.

Consequently, INFJs put a tremendous amount of faith into their instincts and intuitions. This is something of a conflict between the inner and outer worlds, and may result in the INFJ not being as organized as other Judging types tend to be. Or we may see some signs of disarray in an otherwise orderly tendency, such as a consistently messy desk.
This in itself can lead them and other people to think they are a P.

Most INFJs I've come across act differently to someone than when they are with their close friends. Anyone would easily mistype the INFJs. Even the average INFJs themselves sometimes say that they've never been typed correctly by an outside source. Also, many INFJs find it hard to type themselves.

Nyx

INFJs unintentionally change in their real life interactions. The quick changing of moods is one of the things that make them really hard to type.

Consequently, INFJs put a tremendous amount of faith into their instincts and intuitions. This is something of a conflict between the inner and outer worlds, and may result in the INFJ not being as organized as other Judging types tend to be. Or we may see some signs of disarray in an otherwise orderly tendency, such as a consistently messy desk.

Most INFJs I've come across act differently to someone than when they are with their close friends. Anyone would easily mistype the INFJs. Even the average INFJs themselves sometimes say that they've never been typed correctly by an outside source. Also, many INFJs find it hard to type themselves.

Yup, I quoted this in the thread I made about me mistyping myself as an INTP. This is precisely why. I may be somewhat messy, but I need decisiveness. This is NOT synonymous with needing/liking routine or laws/rules. I despise both. INFJs have a tendency to not always follow the law, methinks. This was the what got me thinking I was a P, but alas I was quite wrong. Me thinking I was a P screwed up my results. Now it all makes sense.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yep, I'm with you on all of that paragraph, Nyx. I'm a little messy desk, although organized thoughts. I also tend to prioritize rules, especially if they don't seem to have a practical basis or take the people within the organization into consideration. I would much prefer principles for taking a course of action, rather than rules. The underlying philosophy to me determines what actions should flow from it, rather than arbitrarily picking various actions which do not have one mindset or philosophy in common. So yes, decisiveness, without being rulesy.

Raging, I agree that you will see different interactions from us, but all of them are a part of who we are and you are right that it is unintentional rather than thought out for the most part. It really depends how comfortable I am around someone - I tend to respond a lot to their reactions (both a good thing and a bad one in the teaching profession!), which manifests itself in my manner and level of extroversion (and being in a large group makes this more difficult, meaning that I have to observe more and therefore speak less, which might make me seem shyer than I actually am). However, if I am around someone with whom I'm quite comfortable or someone who I know likes me/needs to be put at ease then I am quite extroverted.

Nyx

Yep, I'm with you on all of that paragraph, Nyx. I'm a little messy desk, although organized thoughts. I also tend to prioritize rules, especially if they don't seem to have a practical basis or take the people within the organization into consideration. I would much prefer principles for taking a course of action, rather than rules. The underlying philosophy to me determines what actions should flow from it, rather than arbitrarily picking various actions which do not have one mindset or philosophy in common. So yes, decisiveness, without being rulesy.

Raging, I agree that you will see different interactions from us, but all of them are a part of who we are and you are right that it is unintentional rather than thought out for the most part. It really depends how comfortable I am around someone - I tend to respond a lot to their reactions (both a good thing and a bad one in the teaching profession!), which manifests itself in my manner and level of extroversion (and being in a large group makes this more difficult, meaning that I have to observe more and therefore speak less, which might make me seem shyer than I actually am). However, if I am around someone with whom I'm quite comfortable or someone who I know likes me/needs to be put at ease then I am quite extroverted.

I second all of this.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool

I think so too.

And the reason we nest in the internet is because it's pretty much perfect for us - can communicate through writing, can stay anonymous, all in all minimal risks. "INFJs wish they had been given a handbook when they were growing up" - It's true, but we aren't, and now that we can understand and if we haven't been completely traumatised we can actually start the healing process :laugh:

No but really I couldn't type one INFJ in my life correctly thinking she was an ENFx. But when I got to know her better. My Buddha.

I don't know about the rarity. Who knows? I wouldn't mind there being more INFJs. I can with my own empirical knowledge of the world acknowledge that Ns are rare (or so it seems).

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think INFJ is a very common mistyping. Online I notice ISFJs thinking they're INFJs (imo anyway). (IMO that's the most common INFJ mistyping even though it's not the only one.) On top of all of that, there are also INFJs who type themselves as something else.