• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] More ENFJ/INFP b-day drama

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This issue reminded me just a bit of fellow INFP Black Cat's past posting about his ENFJ mom's b-day...hence the title. :tongue:

So I forgot my ENFJ friend's b-day by ONE DAY. Keep in mind, he lives in a totally different time zone, we never see each other in person anymore, we talk only sporadically nowadays & it's usually pretty brief & impersonal. We were closer a few years ago, and when I'd acknowledge his b-day then by ecard, he'd take his sweet time opening it (not very concerned when/if it came). So I didn't regard my b-day messages as highly valued or very important to him. Lately, I've felt I am on the back burner as far as friends go. That and I've realized he uses the same lines/approach on everyone, and so now it rings hollow.

This year, I had a family crisis over the weekend, I'm out of a job, and generally very depressed, and it just slipped my mind. I only remembered when a social networking site notified me.

So I send the expected e-card a day late and make a joke about forgetting the exact date, and he replies in this really annoyed, scolding manner, like "you should feel really bad, and don't expect anything from me on your b-day". Now, maybe he was joking, because he does that, but when I made light of this reaction, he then made it a point to say he always remembers everything I tell him about me (which is not true). He made several jabs towards me about other things, and then got all weird and sappy, saying he feels he knows me so well, and tried to get me to say he is my "favorite friend" (What does that even mean? He knows he is NOT my best friend, and he's never called me his "favorite friend". He has many, many female friends he flirts with like mad, and has never made any sincere indication that I am more special, so why does he need to be most special to me? /mini rant). So I teased him back & got rather rude. Sometimes it seems like his head is so inflated and if you don't keep pumping the helium in, he flies around all erratic like a deflating balloon. I admit I took some pleasure in popping a pin in his head, then inevitably felt bad. However, I have been very "deflated" as of late, and he expresses no concern towards me.

On occasions when my grandma was very ill, my cat almost died, and other crap happened to me, he had little in the way of comfort to give when other friends heard me out and didn't just feed me dismissive "things will get better" lines, as he did. However, god forbid a holiday or birthday is overlooked!

I just don't know what his deal is. How can you mostly ignore someone, but then get mad when they don't make over your stupid b-day? Not to mention, this is a grown man, not a 12 year old. Plus, my e-card was quite charming, with line after line of cuteness added by me, and it was totally pegged as a failure simply because it wasn't on time. That really bugs me also....

I'm just tired of trying to figure out where I stand with this guy and what's expected of me in our friendship. Are we good friends or not? How come it's okay for him to ignore me, but not for me to forget him? Why is it so important that I regard him as special, but he won't return the sentiment (or tosses it out to every other friend like candy)? Why does it seem like he is always jumping from new friend to new friend, focusing on the new and forgetting old ties, but expecting old ties to be there for him?

Is this just a really insecure person who needs everyone to love him and give him fanfare, but who is unwilling to actually put himself out there for a genuine friendship?

:doh:

G

Glycerine

I'm sorry... sounds like a huge guilt trip to me, :(. From my own eNFJ standpoint, I don't think you did anything wrong. It seems like an overreaction on his part. NFJs sometimes read WAY too much into things. He might have thought your lightheartedness about the card meant that his birthday (in extension, him) was not important to you. I know that probably sounds stupid but yeah. Even though he REALLY overreacted, maybe you can explain to him why it was late?

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
I wish I had an ENFJ that would freak out on me for not remembering them, if only I could forget them! gah!

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I know an ENFJ whose birthday is kinda close to mine, but comes after mine. I told them happy birthday ahead of time, ahead of both of ours, but they still forgot about mine...

dani_elle

MBTI Type
ENFP
I know an ENFJ who greets everyone I know Happy birthday on the actual day itself, like clockwork :huh: She would also give out random things like sweets and cards or small gifts (which personally I find rather ridiculous plus sometimes she gets really weird gifts that don't suit the receivers... oh well she tries. I mean, I wouldn't get something if I didn't know the person well or if I found it meaningless.)

I have no idea if this means that the timing is really important to them or something, but I can see what you mean with ENFJs treating everyone the same. Nonetheless, this kinda behaviour makes them rather popular and loved so maybe, just maybe, your kind of perceived nonchalance rubbed this guy he wrong way. I kinda noticed that I'm not really on the receiving end of this particular ENFJ as well because I didn't really "respond". Though sometimes, if I happen to be around when she gives out stuff she will be all like: OH so sorry! I forgot! Lol.

In other words I don't think its you, its him. :p

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even though he REALLY overreacted, maybe you can explain to him why it was late?

IDK....it seems glossed over now. I don't know if it's necessary or possible to re-open. It's hard to ever know what he really feels because he's good at casually brushing things off and sticking to shallow topics. I know he will write off his reaction as a joke, and try and turn the overreacting onto me. This is why I never know where I stand with him.

When I see him interacting with others, I realize that it is just his way to be very mushy gushy, and that I overestimated our friendship (and I am guilty in life of over-fantasizing and building things up larger than they really are), but then he goes and gets sensitive over something little... It's hard to know where the teasing ends and real feeling begins.

I have no idea if this means that the timing is really important to them or something, but I can see what you mean with ENFJs treating everyone the same. Nonetheless, this kinda behaviour makes them rather popular and loved so maybe, just maybe, your kind of perceived nonchalance rubbed this guy he wrong way.

In other words I don't think its you, its him. :p

Well thanks :D

It did rub him the wrong way. And then I go and discover another female friend forgot also (don't ask how I know :whistling:), and I figure it's a combination of many friends forgetting who caused this reaction. However, he was really nice to her about it, even kidding that being late made her effort stand out more. I don't know why he got annoyed with me then....

dani_elle

MBTI Type
ENFP
Maybe he expected YOU to remember because you always have?

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
IDK....it seems glossed over now. I don't know if it's necessary or possible to re-open. It's hard to ever know what he really feels because he's good at casually brushing things off and sticking to shallow topics. I know he will write off his reaction as a joke, and try and turn the overreacting onto me. This is why I never know where I stand with him.

You are preaching to the choir. ENFJs are an enigmatic wonder to me for this reason.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENFJs (aswell as ESFJs) are the least logical of all types. They can turn pretty much anything positive or neutral into negative. What I'd suggest, to put the relationship back in order, is to show him you care about him using a lot of the Fe function. I'd suggest not to confront him. Confronting him is a risk. Depending on how you do it, you'd scar him or fix everything.

G

Glycerine

When I see him interacting with others, I realize that it is just his way to be very mushy gushy, and that I overestimated our friendship (and I am guilty in life of over-fantasizing and building things up larger than they really are), but then he goes and gets sensitive over something little... It's hard to know where the teasing ends and real feeling begins.
Well then, I think its his problem. That would be the lovely selfish version of Fe dom. haha, I used to get REALLY mad/upset when people forgot my birthday but that was when I was like 14... not an adult.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Sounds to me like provably was having a bad day or something and he might have taken it out on you. Either way, its not your fault and I am not entirely sure that he knows that he made you feel this bad over response to that card that you sent him.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't care about birthdays, personally; it's nice to be remembered, but I don't hold anybody to it.

Sounds like he might. Though he's also being a shallow bastard and not showing you what he feels about you, truly--whether that means he's in love, or doesn't want you to keep chasing, either way (sounds like the latter rather than the former). I guess he could also be scared to show you, because he may not know how you feel about him, if he isn't trying to get away from you.

Then again, it could be as simple as he was out of energy by the time he wrote back to you...that his mask fell off briefly and his true feelings over everybody forgetting him started to show.

:hug: Try not to think so hard on him...if an NF can't be open, then he isn't worth talking to, even though we know we're amazing and can understand why somebody might get hung up on us. ;)

Not that you are, my INFP friend; I respect your emotional integrity and I know you might have good reason to be. This guy may very well just be not worth it.

--Fuzz

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Guy sounds like a loser, [which is not type related, before I get assaulted with that...] and not worth any amount of your time. I wouldn't worry too much about it since you don't seem to see him/keep in touch that much anymore, and it sounds like he is just lashing out at you because he's not in such a good place himself.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^Thanks for not bashing me Jock. :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds to me like provably was having a bad day or something and he might have taken it out on you. Either way, its not your fault and I am not entirely sure that he knows that he made you feel this bad over response to that card that you sent him.

Well, I called him an ingrate, but it was half-joking. He just ignored it.

Sounds like he might. Though he's also being a shallow bastard and not showing you what he feels about you, truly--whether that means he's in love, or doesn't want you to keep chasing, either way (sounds like the latter rather than the former). I guess he could also be scared to show you, because he may not know how you feel about him, if he isn't trying to get away from you.

:hug: Try not to think so hard on him...if an NF can't be open, then he isn't worth talking to, even though we know we're amazing and can understand why somebody might get hung up on us. ;)

Not that you are, my INFP friend; I respect your emotional integrity and I know you might have good reason to be. This guy may very well just be not worth it.

It's not a romantic relationship :eek:, and I'm definitely not chasing anyone.... I'd say he initiates contact more than me.

I checked last year's emails also, and just as I suspected, I was late then with a message also, and I didn't even bother with a card. IDK, I guess I'll just chalk it up to him being in a bad mood this year, and I was the random person he snapped at.

I guess the whole thing is just symbolic of not knowing where I stand with this person. I'm very selective about who I call a friend, and I admit a big part of it is making sure the friendship & loyalty is fully reciprocated. I guess that's why I expend mental energy pondering this stuff.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate when people give me crap for failing to meet standards they themselves won't meet. Friendships like that are incredibly stressful.

I've seen a trend with some ENFJs to have the person standing in front of them become the most important person in the world, at the detriment of true friends and themselves. It would explain his intensity when his attention is directed towards you, and how he appears to forget about you otherwise.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe he's hurt you're not falling over him anymore. It's possible the less mature of them require their charm to not work once in a while for them to see a need. But, how dare you not fall for his charms! :alttongue:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tell him to shove happy birthday. "Quit being a jerk. NO, QUIT BEING A JERK."

Guilt trips are NOT COOL.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm with Pink on this one. It takes more for you to define friendship than us. He needs to understand the pain. Tell him to shove off if he really doesn't want to be friends--tell him he doesn't need to keep up appearances with you like he does with everyone else and that he needs to stop contacting you if he's not serious about being friends.

His Fe needs to be kicked. He may try to backpedal and be like "of course I want to be friends...", but don't let him off the hook so easily--tell him you want to give him time to really think about it, and that you're a big girl--you can take whatever he wants to say to you.

I would also explain what friendship means to you. It means something different to him--not as deep a connection.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe he's hurt you're not falling over him anymore. It's possible the less mature of them require their charm to not work once in a while for them to see a need. But, how dare you not fall for his charms! :alttongue:

Yes, I feel like he has some insecure need for everyone to love him, and when his charms don't work, he does get irritated. I also think once he establishes a friendship, it's like, "Mission accomplished! I have another fan to add to my legions, and now I only have to do the bare minimum to maintain this relationship."

I'm with Pink on this one. It takes more for you to define friendship than us. He needs to understand the pain. Tell him to shove off if he really doesn't want to be friends--tell him he doesn't need to keep up appearances with you like he does with everyone else and that he needs to stop contacting you if he's not serious about being friends.

His Fe needs to be kicked. He may try to backpedal and be like "of course I want to be friends...", but don't let him off the hook so easily--tell him you want to give him time to really think about it, and that you're a big girl--you can take whatever he wants to say to you.

I would also explain what friendship means to you. It means something different to him--not as deep a connection.

Thanks for this input....I think you are right. I've played along with the cutesy coy game for too long. The past year or so, I had kind of just accepted the friendship for what it was, but this is bothering me, and so I guess I hadn't really resolved it. I thought distancing myself would work for me, but he doesn't seem to like that, and he pulls the reigns in when he sees it happening. I just don't like existing in a grey area, because I cannot give the warmth and caring he does without a much deeper feeling behind it. I agree that we have different standards for friendships.

Oh, and I know not all ENFJs are like this.... my best guy friend is also an ENFJ, and while he has his annoyances, I always know where I stand with him.