• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] The ENFP Te Demand

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
hmm...i'm confused...are you saying that's a difficult mindset to interact with...is it unfair in some way i'm not seeing?

Hi Lady X. :)

I'm not sure who you're asking, but basically, in an ENFP, Te is relatively immature and underdeveloped.

It is primarily concerned with organizing the environment to suit the ends of Intuition.

This can be highly offensive to others, and rightfully so.

In fact, it's a betrayal of the ENFP's own basic values and character.

ENFPs can sometimes use Te effectively, but an ENFP frequently using Te will come off as rigid and controlling.

That's because using two Extraverted functions (Ne and Te) is limited.

It focuses too much on other people and not enough on the ENFP's own values/sense of purpose.

Sometimes circumstances force us to use our weaker functions, and sometimes we just lose faith in ourselves and resort to desperate use of weaker functions.

In the long run, however, it's better for an ENFP to balance dominant Ne with strong Fi, than to try in vain to be a pseudo-Thinking type.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For an ENFP, inferior Te must be kept in check, because it is so tempting to use it in place of the ENFP's more effective Fi.

Under stress, the ENFP would rather focus on others when things are going wrong, because it temporarily relieves her/his anxiety.

But this is not a good long-term strategy.

The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki puts it this way:

Is that really accurate though? I mean according to this thing, I would feel more in-tune with an IXTJ.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Is that really accurate though? I mean according to this thing, I would feel more in-tune with an IXTJ.

Lol, Linguist. :)

You don't make a very good test subject, because you're apparently beyond all attempts to type.

Maybe you're some kind of UberWoman---or UberBeing for that matter.

Why limit yourself to labels like "female" or "human" when you're clearly the very nexus of human evolution?

It must be nice to pick and choose from all your equally developed functions, like one giant buffet table in Personality Type Heaven.

(Snicker-snicker) >>friendly sarcasm<< ;) :hug: :hug:

Seriously though---This is all theoretical anyway. No big deal. :D

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
shit...i'm so unaware of my use of te...but i've certainly been guilty of behaving that way....shit...you people!! trying to screw with my inflated self confidence are you? i can't have that!

kidding...it's good stuff to hear.

It really is good to know these things.

If self-improvement is a goal, then I think this stuff is crucial.

If self-improvement is unimportant, then this stuff is pretty useless.

It's a tool, plain and simple.

I personally find it useful, and I share it because others may benefit from it as well. :)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But Wonka, how can my Fi help me be on time, organize my day, get me to follow through on things etc? Isn't that Te?

For that matter, doesn MBTI say that the third function gets developed between 20 and 30 usually, and used in a healthy way? I'm just curious to know what that looks like, really.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
is it te mode that i use when trying to convince people of my radical ne ideas? or myself? i'm confused...damn...i woke up confused today.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
is it te mode that i use when trying to convince people of my radical ne ideas? or myself? i'm confused...damn...i woke up confused today.

For an ENFP, I think there are basically two ways to share your Intuitive ideas:

1. To be convinced of their value yourself, by determining your own beliefs and priorities, and then sharing them warmly and enthusiastically, whether people are receptive or not.

This is Fi complimenting Ne.

2. Telling people all the reasons why your Intuitive ideas are great, and how logical they are, and how people just don't appreciate you, and citing examples, and complaining about how controlling and narrow-minded people are when they are not receptive to your ideas.

This is inferior Te throwing Fi overboard and supporting out-of-control Ne.

People with dominant and secondary Te are generally quite adept at organizing the environment to suit reasonable goals.

Inferior Te in ENFPs only thinks it does that well.

ENFPs are better off establishing their own core values, than trying to establish favorable external conditions.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For an ENFP, I think there are basically two ways to share your Intuitive ideas:

1. To be convinced of their value yourself, by determining your own beliefs and priorities, and then sharing them warmly and enthusiastically, whether people are receptive or not.

This is Fi complimenting Ne.

2. Telling people all the reasons why your Intuitive ideas are great, and how logical they are, and how people just don't appreciate you, and citing examples, and complaining about how controlling and narrow-minded people are when they are not receptive to your ideas.

This is inferior Te throwing Fi overboard and supporting out-of-control Ne.

lovely...i do both...just fucking fantastic to realize...thanks. :cheese:

no really it's good...i mean important to be made aware of...i think it depends on who i'm speaking with...rather it's an emotional or logical person perhaps...hmmm...thanks for explaining it. :)

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
But Wonka, how can my Fi help me be on time, organize my day, get me to follow through on things etc? Isn't that Te?

For that matter, doesn MBTI say that the third function gets developed between 20 and 30 usually, and used in a healthy way? I'm just curious to know what that looks like, really.

Fi can provide you with a sufficient personal motivation for being on time.

As an ENFP, you are naturally individualistic and somewhat rebellious---and resistant to the very idea of external conditions as a means of controlling people's behavior.

You don't like to control or be controlled.

Therefore, external conditions will not sufficiently motivate you to be on time.

It's true that, as you get older, and life forces you to use your weaker functions, you begin to develop them naturally.

But they will never be as developed as your dominant and secondary function, so you are better off focusing on your strengths.

I think that trying to balance out all of the functions is a pipe-dream, and will only result in spreading yourself too thin.

For all the 16 types, there is a conflict between the dominant and secondary function that really needs to be ironed out before any conscious attempt to develop the weaker functions.

For an ENFP, there is a conflict between Ne and Fi, and it's tempting to seek out Extraverted Thinking.

Why???

Because we prefer Extraversion.

But we really do need to spend time in our Introverted Feeling.

It's really the best friend our Ne will ever have.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my poor fi friend is being neglected i think...i'll go spend the day with it. :D

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

Te usually does get developed in ENFPs as they get older.

But the more we develop skill with Te, the more we need to keep it in check with Fi.

Think about it----What's more dangerous than the ability to organize the environment without a sense of ethics?

That's called "manipulation", in the worst sense of the word, we can be guilty of that.

One use of Te looks like a calm, rational use of organization, logic, and system-building that people notice and respond to in a positive way.

It doesn't look cold and calculating, or insecure and over-the-top.

And it generally doesn't feel manipulative.

I've used Te at work, for example.

Sometimes for better or for worse.

I've convinced bosses and fellow employees to get on board with things they never would have considered otherwise.

But since I'm pretty low on the totem pole at work--I wonder how much of this is just plain manipulation.

ENFPs are good salesmen, promoters, and persuaders---and we often use Te to push our ideas.

But we need Fi to determine what methods are appropriate, and how much is too much.

For me, a better use of developed Te is when I take care of my kids.

My authority is clear and legitimate in that area, and I can confidently organize things to suit my goals as a parent.

Basically, its a double-edged sword, but ENFPs can and do develop Te.

I think my own Te development is the result of two things:

1. Being forced to develop Te, because of the aspects of life more suited to Te.

and even more importantly:

2. A deliberate attention to my own personal values and priorities, which shows in my speech and behavior, and is much more convincing to others than my attempts to be a Te dominant.

I'm not as strong in Te as I am in Ne and Fi. Plain and simple.

I accept that.

It's more authentic and effective for me, as an ENFP, to combine visionary Ne with ethical Fi.

This keeps my overall goals strong and intact, and keeps my conflicting goals well in check.

When I have my top two functions working well together, I feel more confident and empowered, so I can use Te calmly and efficently, rather than as over-compensation.

As ENFPs, Te is our third function, so its certainly not the weakest, but we must use Fi to determine HOW and WHEN and for WHAT PURPOSE we are going to use it.

It must be used to support our overall goals---which are the product of Ne and Fi.

We're Ne/Fi, not Ne/Te.

If we don't keep our inferior Te in check, we will end up being rigid, manipulative, untrustworthy, unstable, and, ultimately, untrue to ourselves.

When our Ne and Fi are working together, we are at our most authentic and effective.

And that is what makes us ENFPs. :)

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
But the more we develop skill with Te, the more we need to keep it in check with Fi.

Think about it----What's more dangerous than the ability to organize the environment without a sense of ethics?

What about using Te because Fi demands it? My ENFP friend cleaned a guy's entire house at 5 in the morning last night after everyone left, and he did it because he felt it was the right thing to do.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i've done that too...you mean after a party right? which is interesting to note because i think most of us hate cleaning. :D

fi though i guess...it does feel right to not leave someones house a mess yep.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Does anyone actually even have all of their cognitive processes in the "right" order?

Here's where it all falls apart for me in cognitive function testing.

Ne / Fi are nearly tied (Ne a smidgen higher)
Te is next (just like an ENFP would be, although I do type myself as INFP)
Followed closely by Fe / Ti / Ni - all three tied with the identical scoring
Trailing badly in the rear are Si and finally Se

Which function really is my relief function? If I were INFP it should be Si but it is nearly my least favored / used - does cognitive function testing show us how to achieve any kind of balance? Or show us we are out of balance?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm confused by that as well peacebaby...because mine goes ne fi ni fe se ti te i think...

and si is just not even on the radar.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
i've done that too...you mean after a party right? which is interesting to note because i think most of us hate cleaning. :D

fi though i guess...it does feel right to not leave someones house a mess yep.

Yes, precisely. The guy's parents were out of town. His logic was, "You put your ass on the line for everyone else. Don't worry about cleaning up."

And I really looked up to him for that because, you're right, he hates cleaning.

Does anyone actually even have all of their cognitive processes in the "right" order?

Nope. I should be Ni, Fe, Ti, Se, but I'm Ni, Ti, Fe, Ne. Pff, sensing; who needs it? ;)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...funny though...cleaning for someone else because you want to doesn't feel the same...it's easier. we can be quite generous if it's something we want to do vs something expected of us.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
What about using Te because Fi demands it? My ENFP friend cleaned a guy's entire house at 5 in the morning last night after everyone left, and he did it because he felt it was the right thing to do.

I already addressed that here:

As ENFPs, Te is our third function, so its certainly not the weakest, but we must use Fi to determine HOW and WHEN and for WHAT PURPOSE we are going to use it.

It must be used to support our overall goals---which are the product of Ne and Fi.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
ENFP rage is part of this story somehow too. Seems to me the rage is long repressed bad feeling that didn't have anything in the world change for it.

Meanwhile, in another part of town, Doctor Wonka is leading a herd of stray ENFPs toward their destiny. This mind has boggled beyond repair at such a congregation of innocents abroad nosing their way into the trap. Oh woe, the harem girls of Riyadh grow daily in number, and surely in beauty. For The Wonk knows his stuff, no doubt about it.