First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post

The balance, it seems, of a healthy, functioning top two functions, is a darker, less reasonable lower two functions.
    I agree completely.

It's a trade-off.

It would be nice if all of one's functions were equally effective, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

We seem to develop, within ourselves, a heirarchy of superior and inferior functions.

Inferior functions can be developed by exposing one's self to situations where the top two functions are insufficient.

But to think they can ever be developed to the level of the top two seems like a pipe-dream.

It would be wiser, in my opinion, to focus on developing the secondary function.

This will keep the dominant function in check, and protect one's self from being pulled in the direction of inferior functions.

I realize this is all theoretical, and that its pretty heady stuff, but I'm not just making it up.

There's a chapter about this in Personality Type:An Owner's Manual, by Lenore Thomson.

Here's a link as well:

Tertiary Temptation

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post

I actively try to avoid using my third function, as I do not enjoy the person I become when I do consciously use it.
    Same here.

In fact, I don't understand why an ENFP would want to consciously use Te--except that it temporarily gives an ENFP a sense of control over the environment, or provides a defense against a perceived attack.

But ultimately ENFPs do not desire to control their environment or to be overly defensive.

They want to accept and adapt to the environment with spontaneous warmth and openness.

Of course, I also have no idea of what I'm like when I'm unaware of me using it.

When ENFPs use Te unconsciously, it looks cold, rigid, and inflexible.

Combined with Ne it looks paranoid, and combined with the natural emotional expressiveness of ENFPs, it looks like an irrational "freak-out."

I would love to know how to properly engage it.
    I think the way to properly engage it is to keep it in check.

It seems like the best way to do that is to strengthen secondary Fi.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I'd love to be able to use it to reign in my chaos a bit, hence my question
    Fi doesn't exactly care whether my day is organized or not.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Without organization, I would go berserk in a haystack.

If I'm not organized, I get really antsy and nervous. I MUST be organized.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Yeah, but Wonka, I still do not understand why you would WANT to keep it in check. I mean, it's such a great tool!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

I'd love to be able to use it to reign in my chaos a bit, hence my question

Fi doesn't exactly care whether my day is organized or not.
    Actually, if you're an ENFP, then Fi is very concerned with what's best for you, whereas inferior Te is not.

Ultimately, Te is not concerned with reigning in one's own chaos.

It is turned outward and focused on reigning in what is peceived as others' chaos.

You want to reign in your own chaos, right?

Well, that's precisely what Fi does for the ENFP.

It's turned inward, and by applying personal value judgements to the ENFPs perceptions, it is focused on reigning in her/his own chaos.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Yeah, but Wonka, I still do not understand why you would WANT to keep it in check. I mean, it's such a great tool!
    For an ENFP, inferior Te must be kept in check, because it is so tempting to use it in place of the ENFP's more effective Fi.

Under stress, the ENFP would rather focus on others when things are going wrong, because it temporarily relieves her/his anxiety.

But this is not a good long-term strategy.

The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki puts it this way:

Tertiary Te (ExFP): "Unfair!! I have to stick to my guns, I will not be bullied or cheated. Any number of authorities agree with me. All my friends agree with me. Everyone can see that my response is directly mandated by the situation: anything else would be irresponsible. These facts absolutely settle the matter, and there is no point in looking at it any further."

The Secondary Function (Fi) would say: "Fair or not, reasonable or not, recognized by anyone or not, what would truly accomplish some good here?"

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Jeez, I thought you guys would be pissed off. It seems to me the demand the relief function imposes, when spelled out, usually has some fairly unpleasant worst case scenarios for other people. This is perhaps something of the dark side of the user. And the user, to some degree, is right there in the middle of it finding ways to say it is good.

It seems like the relief function, by virtue of not being under too much conscious control, imposes requirements, yes, on the user, but also on other people who interact with the user, what they're supposed to accept and do to fit in with the workings of the higher functions of the first person. If the function were under more conscious control, the imposition could be relaxed, but as it is, it's just there keeping on keeping on, insisting on environments.
    hmm...i'm confused...are you saying that's a difficult mindset to interact with...is it unfair in some way i'm not seeing?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Same here.

In fact, I don't understand why an ENFP would want to consciously use Te--except that it temporarily gives an ENFP a sense of control over the environment, or provides a defense against a perceived attack.

But ultimately ENFPs do not desire to control their environment or to be overly defensive.

They want to accept and adapt to the environment with spontaneous warmth and openness.

When ENFPs use Te unconsciously, it looks cold, rigid, and inflexible.

Combined with Ne it looks paranoid, and combined with the natural emotional expressiveness of ENFPs, it looks like an irrational "freak-out."

I think the way to properly engage it is to keep it in check.

It seems like the best way to do that is to strengthen secondary Fi.
    shit...i'm so unaware of my use of te...but i've certainly been guilty of behaving that way....shit...you people!! trying to screw with my inflated self confidence are you? i can't have that!

kidding...it's good stuff to hear.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    For an ENFP, inferior Te must be kept in check, because it is so tempting to use it in place of the ENFP's more effective Fi.

Under stress, the ENFP would rather focus on others when things are going wrong, because it temporarily relieves her/his anxiety.

But this is not a good long-term strategy.

The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki puts it this way:
    whoa...shit! that too! totally embarrassed for myself.
    -Jim Morrison