User Tag List

View Poll Results: NF's would you desribe yourselves as 'happy'?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an ENFP and I would call myself happy

9 16.36%
  • I'm an ENFP and I wouldn't call myself happy

2 3.64%
  • I'm an ENFP and this question is too personal

2 3.64%
  • I'm an ENFP and this question is shitty, naive, and unanswerable

1 1.82%
  • I'm an INFJ and I would call myself happy

8 14.55%
  • I'm an INFJ and I wouldn't call myself happy

3 5.45%
  • I'm an INFJ and this question is too personal

0 0%
  • I'm an INFJ and this question is shitty, naive, and unanswerable

7 12.73%
  • I'm an ENFJ and I would call myself happy

1 1.82%
  • I'm an ENFJ and I wouldn't call myself happy

0 0%
  • I'm an ENFJ and this question is too personal

0 0%
  • I'm an ENFJ and this question is shitty, naive, and unanswerable

0 0%
  • I'm an INFP and I would call myself happy

6 10.91%
  • I'm an INFP and I wouldn't call myself happy

10 18.18%
  • I'm an INFP and this question is too personal

2 3.64%
  • I'm an INFP and this question is shitty, naive, and unanswerable

4 7.27%
First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

maybe many (younger?) INFPs are often unhappy because mainstream society isn't very INFP-friendly...
    and INFPs are apt to try their damndest to be likeable in any circumstance (even if that takes forcing themselves to 'adjust' to standards and perceptions that clash with their own), and thus conform to a certain degree, which of course makes the INFP feel terrible in the long run.

when i read that infps are consistently on the bottom of the totem pole in lists like "types with the most marital satisfaction" and "types that make the most money", i can't help but think it's true that the stereotypical INFP just isn't a good fit for the popular culture and work world of today. they either try to conform and be unhappy or they remove themselves and grow to be content with a smaller social circle.

MBTI
    ENFj

I would not call myself neither unhappy nor happy but more unsatisfied, I always want more. But if I had to pick one I would say happy.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Would love to see this same poll presented to the NT's in the NT forum.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I'm only happy when it rains.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    i was going to write some version of this too. but then i realized, and have before, that as infj i derive much of my happiness from living in the future, and feeling content about that in the present moment, because that is how i simply work. as enfp, i am sure you are happiest living in the moment, based on what i know about enfps, plus p types in general seem to be able to do this more.

like all the self-help books, buddhism, other philosophies talk about the Goal being to live in the moment, but i have come to believe, while there are benefits to that way of living for most, that it is not really how some people are made. and to force myself to think and feel and live only in the moment is really doing myself a disservice in many ways and not being who i really am.
    Sure, different strokes...

I'm not religious at all but I am spiritual in the sense of wondering about something larger than the confines of human experience and understanding.

I didn't come to this through a religious source or a self-help book.

I felt a real gap in the way I was experiencing the world around me. I'm not sure if ENFPs, driven as we are by our Ne, would necessarily find it easier to live in the moment. The possibilities always seem so much more pressing and exciting. Driven by impulse, as we are, isn't the same as living in the present.

I don't want to lose the connection with Ne either - those myriad possibilities are still an essential part of who I am. I also don't want to look back at my life and feel like I missed it while I was planning it.

An example is, on this last vacation in a fabulous new country, I was sitting at lunch with a very close friend and travel companion, planning our next vacation and had at least 5 possible countries I wanted to visit and she had her own list. It was so much fun talking about those possibilities. At the same time, I realized I just wanted to just soak in and enjoy where I was. Once I realized that, I started to notice and experience more fully how wonderful the food was and the sheer beauty of the place...I think I felt connected to the stereotypical ENFP romantic vision of life at that moment.

I've realized that a good balance is always having the next trip planned but when I'm on a trip or having dinner with someone or even a telephone conversation, I'm concentrating on just that. Sometimes it's just allowing physical sensations to take over. Getting in touch with Se is very satisfying. I feel a real difference when I can do that. That feeling that takes over for brief moments at a time that everything is right with the world...that's happiness for me.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    I'm happy until I think about it.
    +1

I'd go all the way back to the start if I could.
    Come along Fool
    A direct hit of the senses you are disconnected
    It's not that it's bad, it's not that it's death
    It's just on the tip of your tongue, and you're so silent

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    maybe many (younger?) INFPs are often unhappy because mainstream society isn't very INFP-friendly...
    and INFPs are apt to try their damndest to be likeable in any circumstance (even if that takes forcing themselves to 'adjust' to standards and perceptions that clash with their own), and thus conform to a certain degree, which of course makes the INFP feel terrible in the long run.

when i read that infps are consistently on the bottom of the totem pole in lists like "types with the most marital satisfaction" and "types that make the most money", i can't help but think it's true that the stereotypical INFP just isn't a good fit for the popular culture and work world of today. they either try to conform and be unhappy or they remove themselves and grow to be content with a smaller social circle.
    I've never been a people-pleaser and have stubbornly stuck to my own path and it has not served me so well. I think learning to adapt would actually help me out...maybe not. I find the adage of "It's not where you are, but who you're with that matters" to be true as far as happiness goes. My relationships make me happier than accomplishments, but forming and maintaining them is hard when you have a strong independent streak.

I do agree that society not being INFP friendly can lead one to feel worthless and isolated. It's also hard to let go of your idealism and be happy with reality. Ideals need to be kept as an abstract motivation, not as attainable end goals.

To me, happiness is a general sense of fulfillment and contentment in life in the emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual realms. It does not mean that everything goes your way or that you're enjoying every minute. Maybe it's having a sense of purpose, feeling love & giving love, keeping hope, moving closer to your potential ideal, etc.

I have had moments of happiness, but I am overall not a happy person because I don't feel any general sense of fulfillment. I am not content with my current situation or where it appears to be leading. The moments of happiness are fleeting because they are not grounded by any bigger picture.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    well, that's awesome! maybe it just takes y'all a few decades to figure it out? do you think that what you go through as infp somehow evens out, or rewards you in other ways others can't achieve? like, does your suffering and exploration of life bring you to a place where you end up having a better understanding of things/life and more peace? or can an infp really only expect/hope to be basically content.
    I wish that I could say that my suffering was necessary and has proportional benefits. However, some of my suffering was only necessary because my parents didn't know any better, and the only really proportional benefit is that I can authentically empathize with others' deep emotional pain. I understand that my parents improved themselves beyond their own upbringing and raised me better than how they'd been raised themselves, and I'm glad that I've improved myself to where maybe my kids (when I have some) will actually have enough emotional tools for handling life's inevitable difficulties gracefully. Still, at some level, I can't help resenting the part of the emotional trauma that was theoretically avoidable (beyond the ordinary complexes caused by being a human person.)

ETA: I just realized that I failed to really answer your question, because I don't know how much of my difficulty to attribute to being an INFP. I do know that I can wrap people in a gentle cocoon of respectful acceptance just by looking them in the eyes, so that's something.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not exactly happy, but I'm not depressed anymore either. I'm pretty cool with that. Right now I'm in this limbo mode. I'm not particularly ecstatic about things, but I'm hopeful.

MBTI
    INFJ

Way to go fellow INFJs who feel there are too many dimensions to the word "happy." We truly are probably unhappy because we refuse to look at things in a simple, straight-forward manner.