User Tag List

123 Last

Default INFP Past demonization

I know an INFP who always hates the current situation, hates the past, and loves the future. She has changed colleges 4 times, and now has lived in 4 different states since she started college. She is 21.

She hates her job until she finds a new one... which she eventually hates. It is the same pattern with the colleges. There is always something wrong, someone oppressing, something unfair, something unbearable.

I am wondering if there is a reasonable explanation for this, especially for an INFP.
    God may be defined as the being than which none greater can be concieved.
    I have in my mind the possibility of God.
    -The God exists in the mind and not in reality.
    -But if such a being that exists in the mind and reality is greater than in the mind and not reality.
    -That is a contradiction!
    Therefore, it is not the case that the being exists in the mind and not reality.
    Restated, if the being exists in the mind, then it exists in reality.
    ----------
    God exists in reality.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by NocturnalSun View Post
    I am wondering if there is a reasonable explanation for this, especially for an INFP.
    Sounds like me. I've changed my major like 9 times, I'm over 20, a senior in college and even though I have like 100 credits, I'm 50 credits or so from getting my undergrad degree in just about any major. It's a pretty sad situation and I only have myself to blame for it.

If she is anything like me then she probably has been looking for the "perfect fit" passion to pursue. Of course, eventually you have to just pick something and stick with it.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

I don't really "hate" my reality, but I do feel restless and discontent... I suffer from "the grass is greener... anywhere but here" malady.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by NocturnalSun View Post
    I know an INFP who always hates the current situation, hates the past, and loves the future. She has changed colleges 4 times, and now has lived in 4 different states since she started college. She is 21.

She hates her job until she finds a new one... which she eventually hates. It is the same pattern with the colleges. There is always something wrong, someone oppressing, something unfair, something unbearable.

Well, INFP's are particularly sensitive. Sometimes even I offend them inadvertently (and I'm an NF!). It's likely that it's her P indecisiveness, her NF idealism and romanticizing of the event, and her weak awareness of S and T consequences. She probably just needs to develop her T and J sides more so that she can make better choices, and hold realistic expectations.

I would note that she's probably a more extreme INFP, and most of the more mature ones are probably less reactionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Sounds like me. I've changed my major like 9 times, I'm over 20, a senior in college and even though I have like 100 credits, I'm 50 credits or so from getting my undergrad degree in just about any major. It's a pretty sad situation and I only have myself to blame for it.

If she is anything like me then she probably has been looking for the "perfect fit" passion to pursue. Of course, eventually you have to just pick something and stick with it.
    You're right that you have to be diligent in life, Kiddo. This points to you being INFP as well. You could be INFJ, but your J is probably weaker than mine if that's the case.

Wow. That's terrible. 50 credits away? How many more years are you going to be in school? I mean, yikes!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

this also sounds like me. If anyone finds an explanation for this, i would like to know it.

I also just get fed up with repetition.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTP

I dropped out.

MBTI
    INTP

INFP's have it terrible. They are like INTP's only they are emotionally distraught about the way things are. INTP's are pissed and want to change everything but they suck it up and adapt a cynical attitude. So do INFP's but I think INFP's at their worst are really in this turmoil being sucked into a negative emotional brooding hell. Correct me if I am wrong.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    You're right that you have to be diligent in life, Kiddo. This points to you being INFP as well. You could be INFJ, but your J is probably weaker than mine if that's the case.

Wow. That's terrible. 50 credits away? How many more years are you going to be in school? I mean, yikes!
    I do have a really weak J. Although it is definitely there. I've peeved off enough P types to know that.

It isn't quite as bad as it sounds. I didn't have to pay a dime for my first 2 years of college, so I'm not suffering with too much debt. I started out as a Pre-med major and I realized that I didn't like all the chemistry and math involved. Hard sciences were never my forte. I changed it over to journalism after I became co-editor on the school paper my sophomore year. Sadly, I learned that journalists do not have souls. So I changed it over to psychology, which was a ton of fun, but then I started to worry about what I was going to do to pay for the rest of my education once I got my undergrad degree.

So once I started my Junior year I changed it to secondary education, and started studying biology with a minor in psychology. However, the secondary education program at this university is infamously bad because they ask for an excessive number of credits. And now I'm at the first semester of my senior year, taking 15 credits of biology and psychology courses and I'm about to once again change my major to the social work program. Of course that could spell doom for me too because it requires a 16 credit investment before you can even apply to the program and they are very selective. I anticipate that if I start next semester, I will finish with my BS in 2 years which would equate to 5 and a half years total of college.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I do have a really weak J. Although it is definitely there. I've peeved off enough P types to know that.

It isn't quite as bad as it sounds. I didn't have to pay a dime for my first 2 years of college, so I'm not suffering with too much debt. I started out as a Pre-med major and I realized that I didn't like all the chemistry and math involved. Hard sciences were never my forte. I changed it over to journalism after I became co-editor on the school paper my sophomore year. Sadly, I learned that journalists do not have souls. So I changed it over to psychology, which was a ton of fun, but then I started to worry about what I was going to do to pay for the rest of my education once I got my undergrad degree.

So I once I started my Junior year I changed it to secondary education, and started studying biology with a minor in psychology. However, the secondary education program at this university is infamously bad because they ask for an excessive number of credits. And now I'm at the first semester of my senior year, taking 15 credits of biology and psychology courses and I'm about to once again change my major to the social work program. Of course that could spell doom for me too because it requires a 16 credit investment before you can even apply to the program and they are very selective. I anticipate that if I start next semester, I will finish with my BS in 2 years or after 5 and a half years of college.
    Heh. Sounds like me. I've majored in Biblical Studies, History, English, Lab Tech, and dropping out. So far I have an AA in . . . wait for it! . . . General Studies.

Still have no earthly idea what I want to do when I grow up. Once the kids are mostly self-sufficient, I'll probably just start applying for low-paying jobs that don't sound horrible and see where life takes me from there.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

What's the rush? Some soul searching may help you avoid becoming a corporate wage-slave. (Unless you are burdening relatives w/ expenses)

You know, sometimes I wish I did what you did. I actually did somewhat the opposite thing. I completed one degree, then another, and am working on a third. I am working for the same company I was working for when I was 18, and have a little cubicle maybe 100 ft. away from where I was originally placed (and its 2/3 the size). I essentially still do the same thing I was doing back then.

Its not a bad career, and I am still following my original long-term plan. But I do wonder what would have happened if I had explored a little more whenI was younger.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield