• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP and ENFP CONFUSION!!

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT ANOTHER 'AM I AN ENFP OR INFP?' THREAD.

It seems like ENFPs often times confuse themselves as INFPs.

INFPs thinking they are ENFPs..ENFPs thinking they are INFPs..switching types a lot. I did it myself, I thought I was an INFP for a while before I thought I was an ENFP.

I still don't really know what I am, though.

But that's not the point of this thread.

My question: Why do so many ENFPs think they are introverted? Is it true when they say that ENFPs are the most introverted extroverts? Does it have something to do with the dynamics of Fi and how we are so called natural non comformists?

Just wondering. I think it would sort out a lot of the confusion, for me even, because I am always wondering.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Intuition is naturally internal. So you are leading with Ne, something that is internal, even though you're an extrovert. It's confusing. It's the same with ISJs, they lead with Si, something that is externally focused, but they're an introvert.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Intuition is naturally internal. So you are leading with Ne, something that is internal, even though you're an extrovert. It's confusing. It's the same with ISJs, they lead with Si, something that is externally focused, but they're an introvert.

You're knowledge never ceases to amaze me. This makes sense to me, actually.

I want to know if other ENFPs feel the same way as I do.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Yes. Ne is still sorta an "internal process". people can't see your thought ruminations, only how you act on them. ENTP's have a similar dynamic

Chloe

I'm totally confused by this...
but when i read enfp profile i can find myself 90%, in infp only 50%...

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
My question: Why do so many ENFPs think they are introverted? Is it true when they say that ENFPs are the most introverted extroverts? Does it have something to do with the dynamics of Fi and how we are so called natural non comformists?

I think it has to do with the confusion between extroversion and being social. ENFPs tend to be far less social than other Es. This is due to (1) depression/ being unhappy which causes us to withdraw, and more broadly: (2) extroverted intuition is not a readily understood language, and that makes social interaction less satisfying.

Enjoying social contact isn't always easy. Having to explain the million loose associations that spring up in a single sentence gets old fast. People tend to not understand us, and/or dismiss us as eccentric, or some sort of entertaining prop to be enjoyed but not considered.

Anyway, that's probably why many of us feel nonsocial and so mistaken ourselves for introverts.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Haha. I used to wish I was ENFP, but I had no doubt I was INFP. :D

However I have alright extroversion I like to think. :D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think people get confused with what extroversion really is. I think it was Wonka that made an awesome post about extroversion being simply drawing things from outside of yourself for energy.. Be it nature, people, etc. Isolation from the outside world in general, not just people and socializing. People see extroversion and read people.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i often feel like i'm not an extrovert...but...i relate to the enfp profile more than infp...maybe it's my developed fe...or maybe it's one of my values to not behave in some of the typical extroverted ways...maybe it's from seeing other extroverts and feeling how others perceived them and deciding to curb those instincts within myself.

but yes...i know i am...i may just wish i was less so....sometimes...and...um...more so other times... :/

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm one of these INFP/ENFP on the fence people, so I relate. Don't know that I have anything helpful to contribute, though.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think it has to do with the confusion between extroversion and being social. ENFPs tend to be far less social than other Es. This is due to (1) depression/ being unhappy which causes us to withdraw, and more broadly: (2) extroverted intuition is not a readily understood language, and that makes social interaction less satisfying.

Enjoying social contact isn't always easy. Having to explain the million loose associations that spring up in a single sentence gets old fast. People tend to not understand us, and/or dismiss us as eccentric, or some sort of entertaining prop to be enjoyed but not considered.

Anyway, that's probably why many of us feel nonsocial and so mistaken ourselves for introverts.

Great answer. Thanks.

I think I kind of knew this, but it wasn't really coming up when I gave this topic some thought.

I think people get confused with what extroversion really is. I think it was Wonka that made an awesome post about extroversion being simply drawing things from outside of yourself for energy.. Be it nature, people, etc. Isolation from the outside world in general, not just people and socializing. People see extroversion and read people.

I've always understood Introversion and Extroversion that way, too. Maybe because that's how my parents always separated the two, using that definition.

I guess I am truly an Extrovert. I have a lot of tendencies that are common in introverts.

I can be anti social.
I am sort of a loner sometimes.
I go through my 'emo' phases sometimes.
I spend a great deal of time alone.
I think I have a tiny bit of a problem with being socially awkward.

But, nonetheless! I see extrovert. I do draw energy from external reaches, and I do really feel better after I have talked to someone about something, and introspection doesn't do a lot for me when trying to solve problems.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Sorry I'm turning this into a 'me' topic. I've been wondering about it, about myself, but had no intentions of this turning into a self-centered discussion.

proceed. :)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I didn't realize so many ENFPs wonder whether they are INFPs, I thought it was only the reverse.

I think the stereotypes are more distracting when Ne is involved. Ne is an outside-the-box function that celebrates complexity so being pigeon-holed or picking sides will always feel uncomfortable.

Also, (adding to the wonderful insight of BlackCat) Ne requires being out there, engaged in the world but also taking the time to step back, regroup and interpret what you've learnt before putting it out there again. It requires ENFPs to bridge the gap between introversion and extroversion more than other types, because Ne requires broader active involvement. Being both actively engaged and actively reflective.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Also, (adding to the wonderful insight of BlackCat) Ne requires being out there, engaged in the world but also taking the time to step back, regroup and interpret what you've learnt before putting it out there again. It requires ENFPs to bridge the gap between introversion and extroversion more than other types, because Ne requires broader active involvement. Being both actively engaged and actively reflective.

Hmm... I was about to object since INFP also have strong Ne, so we could have the same problem in the opposite direction; but then I realized, we can get our active engagement from books. So never mind. ENTP might have the same problem though!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm... I was about to object since INFP also have strong Ne, so we could have the same problem in the opposite direction; but then I realized, we can get our active engagement from books. So never mind. ENTP might have the same problem though!

We can get our active engagement from within us. Or if we get something that piques our interest in the real world that's fine too, but unlike ENFPs we can be totally fine going off into Lala land in our own heads. ENFPs need to constantly feed their curiosity, their Ne is hardly insatiable at any one time. I think it's safe to say that INFPs aren't really like this...

Our Fi is insatiable. We want to know the personal details so that we can understand people. I literally have a hard time understanding where someone is coming from fully unless they tell me their personal attachments to it and/or their opinions on a given thing. My curiosity is in the personal realm, not in the possibilities realm. I just really want to get to know people better, by gathering more and more personal details. I have been told that I have incredible insights into things dealing with people and situations, and this is just because I know these random personal details and I can put together a picture in my head. Sometimes I don't even know how I do it, it's like from knowing more and more about a situation and people I can literally make myself BE in that situation, knowing exactly the feelings and how people's feelings interconnect to create the situation. These things are like separate consciousnesses almost, I have my own mood that I am constantly aware of and monitoring, then in my psyche I have separate moods that are those of other people, I just generally have mini-big pictures in my head of individual people and this is added to by gaining more personal details.

INFPs I think have all of these feelings in separate areas, but the feelings of others and those of a situation seem to spill over into their main mood, making them super emotional and very adaptive at the same time. I think I've learned to prevent this "spilling over" thing, but sometimes it still happens... It's like I feel the person/situation enough to where I am very in tune with it, but it doesn't directly affect my mood or state of mind unless it's some intense stuff.

Just some food for thought... That is my emphasis on Fi for INFPs.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It is likely to be the Ne that causes type confusion in an INFP (more for the first reason I mentioned) but we don't tend to actively engage in the world all that much. We do in passive ways, more from the position of the observer: listening, watching behaviours etc. But the overwhelming majority of our energy is directed at thinking and reflecting.

I always see myself as being someone on the outside, looking through the window on the party going on inside. Its not necessarily a bad thing, as it allows me insights into the world that people in the mix seem to miss. ENFPs seem to manage to be part of the party and still have the insights.

ENTPs might have the same problem as ENFPs but in my experience ENTPs are more sure of themselves in general.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Interesting! Taking a second look at the keys2cognition definition, it appears that Ti wouldn't require as deep reflection as Fi, because it deals with impersonal principles. So, on further consideration, I agree that ENFP have to bridge that I/E gap more than others.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
ENTPs might have the same problem as ENFPs but in my experience ENTPs are more sure of themselves in general.

I'd never want their confidence. Uncertainty is what makes us learn and search deeper. There is a big difference between learning something intelligent out of interest, and understanding something out of need.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We can get our active engagement from within us. Or if we get something that piques our interest in the real world that's fine too, but unlike ENFPs we can be totally fine going off into Lala land in our own heads. ENFPs need to constantly feed their curiosity, their Ne is hardly insatiable at any one time. I think it's safe to say that INFPs aren't really like this...

Our Fi is insatiable. We want to know the personal details so that we can understand people. I literally have a hard time understanding where someone is coming from fully unless they tell me their personal attachments to it and/or their opinions on a given thing. My curiosity is in the personal realm, not in the possibilities realm. I just really want to get to know people better, by gathering more and more personal details. I have been told that I have incredible insights into things dealing with people and situations, and this is just because I know these random personal details and I can put together a picture in my head. Sometimes I don't even know how I do it, it's like from knowing more and more about a situation and people I can literally make myself BE in that situation, knowing exactly the feelings and how people's feelings interconnect to create the situation. These things are like separate consciousnesses almost, I have my own mood that I am constantly aware of and monitoring, then in my psyche I have separate moods that are those of other people, I just generally have mini-big pictures in my head of individual people and this is added to by gaining more personal details.

INFPs I think have all of these feelings in separate areas, but the feelings of others and those of a situation seem to spill over into their main mood, making them super emotional and very adaptive at the same time. I think I've learned to prevent this "spilling over" thing, but sometimes it still happens... It's like I feel the person/situation enough to where I am very in tune with it, but it doesn't directly affect my mood or state of mind unless it's some intense stuff.

Just some food for thought... That is my emphasis on Fi for INFPs.

I relate to the bolded parts. I do go and look for people, but I do so to get to know them the way you just described. And I withdraw after I've had my fill. I do love hunting down possibilities, and learning new things, it's addictive, but it goes in cycles as I cannot keep it up constantly. Understanding people drives me so much that I'll leave sleep, food and other primal stuff for it, till I burn out or collapse.

Give me an object/topic worthy of study to me, and I'll go all out, but not for as long as I'll go if you give me a person to get to know who I find highly intriguing, or has asked for my help on a feeling matter.

I'll do the same with La-la-land. I'll happily reside there for a week or longer, after getting inspired by Ne for a new version of it. Can be around an idea, or a person. On the other hand, I have no problem building a crazy world out of the blue or tossing out a crazy idea while involving people...aka the dreaded silly switch ;)

Ne and Fi are just dual swords that I wield, I find. I'll happily settle for being an NFP-hybrid though :D

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Do INFPs have the same attack mode when it comes to problem solving and systems? I get this drive to solve and simplify, understand. Are INFPs normally more people directed, or are they as people and idea directed in their search as we are?