• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] xNFP's more elegant than xNFJ's?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
And Frodo is not to be called elegant.
Would you call him 'graceful', perhaps?

I think that might be the distinction right there. xNFP's are 'graceful', whereas xNFJ's are 'elegant'.

And yes, that's a generalization. Keep in mind that I'm fully aware that there are probably plenty of exceptions to these generalizations that I'm making. I'm just looking for the patterns that fit best.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

I think that might be the distinction right there. xNFP's are 'graceful', whereas xNFJ's are 'elegant'.

And yes, that's a generalization. Keep in mind that I'm fully aware that there are probably plenty of exceptions to these generalizations that I'm making. I'm just looking for the patterns that fit best.

Patterns based on what exactly?

And yeah. I'm definitely one of those "exceptions" then. Clumsy as they come.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I kinda see where you're going with this. It's hard to describe. I've found myself to be the biggest klutz around, but when NFPs are in their element, shine their brightest because they feel good at that particular time, they can have a certain grace, almost a glow about them one moment, and then stumble down the stairs the next :doh:

Whereas NFJs often do elegant sofistication, I find.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You guys make me hate subjectivity. And I like subjectivity. What the hell does graceful or elegant even mean?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh, I would think that all N's are quite susceptible to running into things. I would say that at least 95% of the time NFP's are on their feet, walking smoothly without hitting unfortunate obstacles on the floor. And in those moments, you guys have 'grace'.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Not really sure how you got into the LOTR discussion, but I don't think Frodo can be described as elegant, or even an INFP. If you've read the books, he's a ton more temperamental and opinionated than Elijah Wood's portrayal. That goes with the whole innocence thing, too. But I think you guys are focusing on the movies, so yeah he does have the soon to be sullied naive, innocent thing going on. I was a huge LOTR nerd for a while, lol. Well, probably still am.

As for INFP's appearing elegant... I know we'd like to appear elegant and sophisticated, but I feel like we probably come across as spacey or something.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You guys make me hate subjectivity. And I like subjectivity. What the hell does graceful or elegant even mean?

Use that N, darling :D

Oh, I would think that all N's are quite susceptible to running into things. I would say that at least 95% of the time NFP's are on their feet, walking smoothly without hitting unfortunate obstacles on the floor. And in those moments, you guys have 'grace'.

I'd even say that for NFPs it comes from within, without being aware of it whereas NFJs seem very much in control of it and able to manipulate it, giving it almost a focussed quality...or am I mistaken?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
giving it almost a focussed quality...or am I mistaken?
Yes, it's true. It's not a terribly conscious thing, though. I'm aware of the way I'm moving in the back of mind, some where in my subconscious self. If it were something that I had to consciously control, it wouldn't be anywhere near as effortless.

In any case, it looks like the LOTR tangents might be bugging people a bit, so I'll give some real-life examples of NFJ elegance versus NFP grace.

YouTube - Mary-Louise Parker Golden Globe Win for Weeds

I'm pretty sure that Mary-Louise Parker is an INFJ. And, just by the way she's sitting in her chair in the middle and towards the beginning of the clip, her mannerisms, the way she carries himself, they all seem like good examples of NFJ elegance to me.

YouTube - Interview with Evanna Lynch

I'm pretty sure that Evanna Lynch is an INFP. And the way she carries herself in this interview seems like a good example of what NFP grace looks like.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
elegant meaning controlled and clean and contrasting and minimalistic and oh so very j?
graceful meaning well-balanced (between balanced and unbalanced, loose and tight, symmetrical and assymetrical, composed and tossed together?)

in short elegant dealing with J (introverted perception) and graceful dealing with P (extraverted perception)? J as more composed and P as more in-the-moment?

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Someone said that xNFP's are elegant and xNFJ's aren't. I disagree. I've always thought that xNFP's have more fairy-like tinkerbell kind of elegance and aura to them whereas xNFJ's have a more angelic Galadriel (from Lord of the Rings) kind of aura. Thoughts?

Ha! So me, with my clumsily executed gross gestures and inside-out, mismatched argyle socks is MORE elegant than my Fe-having, fashion and etiquette literate INFJ mother. No way.

In impersonal terms: Fe seems correlated with social norms like etiquette and fashion sense, and poise which many would say is elegance. That would make the Js more likely to be "elegant" than the Ps. ...also, xNFPs are fairy clumsy IME, much more so than xNFJs.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Could it possibly be that INFP's are more ethereal whereas INFJ's are elegant?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could it possibly be that INFP's are more ethereal whereas INFJ's are elegant?

Possible :yes:

Audrey Hepburn (INFP) is like the pinnacle of elegance though.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
elegant meaning controlled and clean and contrasting and minimalistic and oh so very j?
graceful meaning well-balanced (between balanced and unbalanced, loose and tight, symmetrical and assymetrical, composed and tossed together?)

in short elegant dealing with J (introverted perception) and graceful dealing with P (extraverted perception)? J as more composed and P as more in-the-moment?

Agree, this is what I was thinking. INFJs are very controlled, into fashions more, look to socially impress with dressing, house, etc. This could be called elegance, and it gives that feel of grace. Whereas xNFPs seem quite good at engaging in smooth, graceful interaction.

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
Since you guys are talking about Tolkien, I must break my self-imposed exile to contribute soemthing.

I would say that Luthien Tinuviel vs. Galadriel is a much better comparison of NFP vs. NFJ.

Luthien is the evening star while Galadriel is the morning star.

Luthien was the fairest living being to walk on Arda (the earth). She spent most of the time by herself, running through the woods, and her hauntingly beautiful voice rivaled the very birds in their song.

Yet she was also a brave warrior, and was the only person to have a victory over the real Dark Lord (Sauron was just a pawn of his). She stormed castles, and fought nameless terrors that would freeze the hearts of other elves, just to save her true love. What's more INFP than that?

I assume that many of you guys are talking about movie Arwen. Movie Arwen is very different from Tolkien's Arwen and movie Arwen is just a pale imitation of Luthien the Nightingale....INFP bard and warrior...the fairest child of Eru Iluvatar.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agree, this is what I was thinking. INFJs are very controlled, into fashions more, look to socially impress with dressing, house, etc. This could be called elegance, and it gives that feel of grace. Whereas xNFPs seem quite good at engaging in smooth, graceful interaction.

we like to impress our own introverted intuition. we like to impress ourselves. we have standards that are much more loosely connected to those around us than you seem to think. if the people around do not interest me, i may still care what they think, but i don't give a fuck about impressing them. i want to impress myself, which is different. i want to impress the perfect being that doesn't even exist. i want to impress my dream girl. i want to impress the entire world all at once. even if i use all the sets of eyes in the world to view myself, it's still about me putting it all together. we focus on saying everything, than saying nothing, than finding something to hang our hat on and call it a day.

xnfps are also good at being smoothly flighty, engagingly erratic, and gracefully all-over-the-place. when it works it's some serious wu tang feng shui shit. but sometimes it doesn't and just goes to shit. i would say that, apart from istj dads in the suburbs with fanny packs and fishing poles, infp women are the highest percentage of man-like jort wearers in the entire population (maybe in weird places like sedona). but then some of them walk out of warhol pictures. what can ya do?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Once again, I'm not so sure about either NFP's or NFJ's being more 'ethereal' than each other. Both NFP's and NFJ's are quite capable of giving off those mystical, otherworldly vibes. I'm just looking for adjectives to describe the mystical differences between the types.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would say however that NFPs are more 'otherwordly' than NFJs. We're sometimes quite literally *not* present and unfocussed becoz of it whereas NFJs seem to at least have some footing in this world at all times :D

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
This thread as gone onto a tangent about mystery and other-worlds however, if it is all about elegance. INO The XNFJs outstrip us XNFPs... I am not elegant in any way HAHAHAHAHAHAHA However, if we're talking mystery and being ethereal then it's a different conversation, however, I find that the NFJ and NFP have elements of each other..

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I agree. Sam's definitely one of the ISFJ poster boys I've seen. The master of duty and devotion.

I don't see addiction to drugs as a sign of being corrupted at all. I think it would be more accurate to say that NFPs are more susceptible to indulgence, but not corruption.

I can't speak for all NFP's, but the ones I've met seem to just be so focused on being true to themselves and being loyal to their friends.

I, on the other hand, have always been tempted by the more superficial things like respect, prestige, and power. I can see myself and other NFJ's being corrupted by those things. I can't see NFP's falling prey to that kind of shallowness, though. Galadriel from Lord of the Rings was the same way. She desired power. And I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of people mistype her as INTJ, seeing as people don't seem realize that INFJ's are, in fact, VERY capable of becoming power-hungry.

Wow. Yeah. I have a friend who is an INFJ, and sometimes her obsession with perfection and her need to always be on top makes me sometimes doubt that she's NF at all, but from your explanation of INFJs I can understand her more now.

Plus, I've often pondered what are the real differences between INFJs and INFPs because so often my INFJ friend and I agree on things but other times it's like "Huh?"
To find out whose more elegant is an interesting way of looking at it.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
we like to impress our own introverted intuition. we like to impress ourselves. we have standards that are much more loosely connected to those around us than you seem to think. if the people around do not interest me, i may still care what they think, but i don't give a fuck about impressing them. i want to impress myself, which is different. i want to impress the perfect being that doesn't even exist. i want to impress my dream girl. i want to impress the entire world all at once. even if i use all the sets of eyes in the world to view myself, it's still about me putting it all together. we focus on saying everything, than saying nothing, than finding something to hang our hat on and call it a day.

That was incredibly sexy.