User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Privacy issues with Facebook?

Does anyone have privacy issues with Facebook? And how do other INFJs relate to this?

I don't want to join Facebook until it gives me the option to hide my friends from my friends. Silly, huh? I'm a very private person. Whom I have befriended is nobody's business but mine. I think I'd like to be there for the sake of communication, though.

Perhaps I miss that feature, because there are no different levels of friendship in Facebook. Every person who adds you as a friend is simply a friend, no matter how strong your bond to that person is. I would like to show less personal information to acquintances, people from work and (distant) relatives. Not accepting friend invites is not an option, because people get really upset (and I'd have to deny 95% of them). Not putting any information in there seems pointless too; why be there if I'm not going to share anything?

I'm also gay and those acquintances / workmates / relatives are the ones who shouldn't necessarily know that about me (at least just like that). Of course I don't have to put up that information in there, but I'd have a very suspicious amount of openly gay friends... Anyway, this is only one of the many privacy issues I have with Facebook. Basically, I don't want most people to know much at all about me or what I'm currently doing.

Am I a control freak? Sure. But there are others like me... I hope...

Anyway, share your facebook drama here...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by MrRandom View Post
    Does anyone have privacy issues with Facebook? And how do other INFJs relate to this?
    There's nothing much on my Facebook profile, and I haven't updated it in at least a year. I log on a few times a week and I have about 400+ friends, but some of them are on limited profile. Since there isn't much on my profile that I wouldn't tell the average person about, I don't have many issues with privacy. Sometimes I get annoyed when people constantly write on my wall or add me as a friend when I've ignored their friend request. But it's more that Facebook is just boring now. Too many features and activities everywhere.

Perhaps I miss that feature, because there are no different levels of friendship in Facebook. Every person who adds you as a friend is simply a friend, no matter how strong your bond to that person is. I would like to show less personal information to acquintances, people from work and (distant) relatives. Not accepting friend invites is not an option, because people get really upset (and I'd have to deny 95% of them). Not putting any information in there seems pointless too; why be there if I'm not going to share anything?
    You can put certain friends on limited profile. And you can choose what appears on that profile so if you don't want your personal info showing, you can take that out. I took out my pictures and personal info for limited profile.

Enneagram
    1w2

You know, my gay friend is torn over Facebook too. He doesn't want his non-gay friends to know about his gay friends so he doesn't friend any of his gay friends which really upsets people with questions of "are you ashamed of us?" which is legitimate I think.

I had the same problem with my directors and higher-ups at working sending me friend requests. I just ignore them and hopefully the haven't noticed because no one had brought it up with me.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I find facebook too "open" also. I still like myspace better because it's more anonymous and less about real life connections. I use a fake name on facebook, so only people I want to find me can find me. I also refuse to add relatives on it, despite how much my mom keeps hinting. I do have my sister on there, and I partly regret it, because she is always tagging me in (unflattering) photos and then gets mad when I reject them.

I actually view online social networking as a way to meet people online I wouldn't meet IRL, not as a way to keep in touch with real life friends/family (I have a phone and regular email for that).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I had the same problem with my directors and higher-ups at working sending me friend requests. I just ignore them and hopefully the haven't noticed because no one had brought it up with me.
    Yeh, unless you are close to your directors, it is pretty bad when directors, etc. add you. I know a few cases where they use it to snoop. In a way, it is sort of rude for them to send the request.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I've had real privacy issues with Facebook ever since my parents and other relatives got on it. My mother even tried to add me, which made me uncomfortable.

I have my Facebook completely private and removed from the search engine.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I only register for social networking websites in order to do things like save a list of interesting bands (MySpace) or comment on someone's blog. I don't make any pages myself, since I'd really rather not be so visible and available. Clearly, their target audience is a different kind of person than me.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I don't use my real name and I won't put any info on facebook I wouldn't want getting out. I also have two that help me keep crazy online people away from the crazy offline people.

MBTI
    ENFP

Surprisingly for some (me being an ENFP) I have real privacy issues with facebook! I hate that someone could use it to 'keep tabs on me' and lets face it anyone can use it in this way even if you are not on there yourself... for example, say I go out to a party and press the self-destrcut button (quite possible) and want to completely walk away from it the next day.. I can't becuase someone has put pictures of me on their facebook account with my skirt around my waist being sick to "I believe in a thing called love"!
    I HATE facebook!!!!!!!!!!!
    ... couldn't drag me away

eljko Ranatovic: argus
    eljko Ranatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    eljko Ranatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I don't have any privacy issues. I just don't post things that are too private...
    I have family members on there, and it doesn't bother me, as i'd rather them write on my wall anytime, than to call me. Please don't call me.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.