User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Default NFs, especially INFs -- Freaky Mind-Body Dissociation?

Okay, I guess I am putting myself out there to sound really weird, but I've been wondering if any other NFs out there -- especially INFs or perhaps INs -- experience what I have difficulty labeling so I will just call it "freaky mind-body dissociations."

What I mean by this is, most of the time I'm merrily going about my day, but occasionally, seemingly out of nowhere, I get weirded out with the sudden thought "Oh my god it is so weird that out of all the people I could have been I'm me and I'm inside this body and brain seeing out of this one particular perspective, holy crap that's so weird." It doesn't happen often and it's not necessarily unpleasant -- just kind of strange and surreal. I'm especially prone to it after a long movie that I got really into. I come out of the theater and I'm like "Whoa, I forgot I was me for a little while" and being me and seeing all the mundane normal things around me that I've seen a million times before suddenly seems very strange.

It's kind of like that freaky scene in the Matrix where he realizes his life has been a hallucination and he's actually been in that tub of water alongside all the other humans having his mind controlled by aliens. It's not that I think I'm in a tub of water having my mind controlled by aliens, but it's like, how would I know if I were since I am only living through the eyes of my one particular body?

Hmm. I hope I'm not coming off as too insane here. I swear I'm actually a pretty stable, healthy productive citizen and all that.

Anyway, I've talked to my ESTP husband about these little "freaky mind-body dissociations" and he cannot relate at all and seems a little spooked any time I mention it. However, I talked to an INFP friend about it a while ago and she said she experiences it too. So that made me wonder if it was an NF thing or perhaps an INF or IN thing? And is there a term for it? If so let me know because I'd kind of like to learn more.

Please don't rip me apart here or tell me how crazy I am, I'm a sensitive little INFJ who's just curious...

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by mwv6r View Post

What I mean by this is, most of the time I'm merrily going about my day, but occasionally, seemingly out of nowhere, I get weirded out with the sudden thought "Oh my god it is so weird that out of all the people I could have been I'm me and I'm inside this body and brain seeing out of this one particular perspective, holy crap that's so weird." It doesn't happen often and it's not necessarily unpleasant -- just kind of strange and surreal.
    OMG mwv6r - u r so right. It's like why my conciousness, the me-essence is here, in this body, why do I look through those eyes at the world. The feeling of me could anywhere else. It's a bit awe-inspiring state.

Thanks for sharing .
    Hot-hearted head

Phantonym

I get the same feeling regularly after watching a movie or reading a book or listening to music and getting lost in it. Obviously not with every type of movie, book or song. Afterwards, when you start to come out of it, it's like you're watching yourself from the outside while being very aware that you're inside your body. Everything is suddenly so clear. It is kind of strange and surreal. I have no idea what it is but I love the feeling.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hmm... I do this sometimes. Like sometimes I'll sit there and wonder what it would've been like if I hadn't been born. Would there just be nothingness?

It's kind of like that freaky scene in the Matrix where he realizes his life has been a hallucination and he's actually been in that tub of water alongside all the other humans having his mind controlled by aliens. It's not that I think I'm in a tub of water having my mind controlled by aliens, but it's like, how would I know if I were since I am only living through the eyes of my one particular body?
    THEY'RE ROBOTS, NOT ALIENS, GODDAMIT.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I kinda had that problem after playing D'nD and then going home after. I'd walk over the street going 'oh, hang on, I'd better stop for these cars, I aint allpowerful in this world '

Not kidding. You're just straddling two worlds at that moment. I regularly experience this and involunarily as well I might add. It's one of the reasons I don't drive a car. Half the time I aint present in this world.

And I've had the whole wondering why my mother means so much to me as well. What makes her so special? Confused the shit out of me, coz I love her dearly, but it was just that I was so disconnected from who I was at that point that it made me view things from a different perspective. From a strangers perspective almost. Also fun when you're overidentifying with someone elses point of view and you have to go 'wait, what was mine again on this topic?'

Think it's as close to shapeshifting as anyone can come
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have that all the time. XD Usually I'll be super focused on something, and then when I lose that focus, I suddenly snap back into reality and I'm hyper-conscious.
    Everybody needs love.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I'm an E but yes, I feel that. Sometimes just looking out from my body feels weird, I don't have a face to me, really. I have arms and legs and these things all move when I want them to.. but no face?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    IEI

Oh, I can definitely relate to this.

I haven't got much to add really other than yes, I do get 'Freaky Mind-Body Dissociation', particualarly after reading or watching a movie as has been said, or sometimes if I've just been day-dreaming for a long while and I suddenly wake up to realise how much time has passed. I don't talk about it with anybody else. Whenever I try and start up a subject even remotely like this it usually leaves people staring at me like "WTF?" I don't really blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coeur View Post
    Usually I'll be super focused on something, and then when I lose that focus, I suddenly snap back into reality and I'm hyper-conscious.
    Exactly this.
    INFJ 9w1.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I used to do this, but not so much anymore. I can relate to what you're saying though about how it was.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It doesn't happen often and it's not necessarily unpleasant -- just kind of strange and surreal. I'm especially prone to it after a long movie that I got really into. I come out of the theater and I'm like "Whoa, I forgot I was me for a little while" and being me and seeing all the mundane normal things around me that I've seen a million times before suddenly seems very strange.
    Me too. I don't think I can connect mine to any specific catalyst (you & others mentioned movies, daydreaming, etc.), but I get this too.

FYI that you may or may not already know: the part in bold print sounds like 'jamais vu' to me. It's the opposite of 'deja vu'. Jamais vu is when you are someplace familiar, but you feel like you've never been there before. It's got the same disorienting feel to it as deja vu. I get it too when my head is in the weeds.
    Last edited by Z Buck McFate; 08-30-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: fixing errors
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari