User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Ha, yep, me too. It happens to me a lot when I'm meeting new people...and in other social situations I guess. When I'm around other people sometimes I start to think about what it's like to be inside that body over there, and not mine over here. That sounds kinda creepy.

I get the feeling that my body and mind are separate entities...like, I'm two different people. They don't sync up. I'm a dancer too...and I've tried to explain this to my dance friends. They don't get it AT ALL. haha I get so into my head sometimes that I forget I have an actual physical body.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yes. Yes. Oh, yes.

I have the weird thought of, "I can't feel what other people feel- are they real? Is anything real?!" and I'll constantly wow myself with, "I can't begin to comprehend the essence of that person's life being so much different from mine."

I used to hold a "mind over body" belief, and I still do to some extent, but I've more come to the belief that all of our bodily sensations are completely meaningless without a mind to perceive them- or give them meaning.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by mwv6r View Post
    Okay, I guess I am putting myself out there to sound really weird, but I've been wondering if any other NFs out there -- especially INFs or perhaps INs -- experience what I have difficulty labeling so I will just call it "freaky mind-body dissociations."

What I mean by this is, most of the time I'm merrily going about my day, but occasionally, seemingly out of nowhere, I get weirded out with the sudden thought "Oh my god it is so weird that out of all the people I could have been I'm me and I'm inside this body and brain seeing out of this one particular perspective, holy crap that's so weird." It doesn't happen often and it's not necessarily unpleasant -- just kind of strange and surreal. I'm especially prone to it after a long movie that I got really into. I come out of the theater and I'm like "Whoa, I forgot I was me for a little while" and being me and seeing all the mundane normal things around me that I've seen a million times before suddenly seems very strange.

It's kind of like that freaky scene in the Matrix where he realizes his life has been a hallucination and he's actually been in that tub of water alongside all the other humans having his mind controlled by aliens. It's not that I think I'm in a tub of water having my mind controlled by aliens, but it's like, how would I know if I were since I am only living through the eyes of my one particular body?

Hmm. I hope I'm not coming off as too insane here. I swear I'm actually a pretty stable, healthy productive citizen and all that.

Anyway, I've talked to my ESTP husband about these little "freaky mind-body dissociations" and he cannot relate at all and seems a little spooked any time I mention it. However, I talked to an INFP friend about it a while ago and she said she experiences it too. So that made me wonder if it was an NF thing or perhaps an INF or IN thing? And is there a term for it? If so let me know because I'd kind of like to learn more.

Please don't rip me apart here or tell me how crazy I am, I'm a sensitive little INFJ who's just curious...
    I almost hate you because I love you too much for saying (or threading?) this^. You are not crazy. You are inquisitive.

It's so difficult trying to explain to friends exactly how I feel about my ability to be only one person with individual experiences, my own life, and my own fate (or maybe I should phrase it: "how I feel about my inability to be someone else with different experiences and such"?). The idea blows my mind when I mull it over: that I can only experience life through this one body and this one mind. Because of my one me (huh?), I appreciate and cherish both my two beings, my external and internal world.

I specifically remember being about five (I cannot make this stuff up!) and wondering why I was "me," what was my purpose as "me," and why my "spirit me" and my "body me" were conjoined in a way that made me "me" and not some other "me?"
    ...Maybe I was a bit precocious?

I'm not entirely sure if this can help you, since I'm not a studying philosopher, but concepts like "Dualism" and the "Mind-Body Dichotomy" could probably act as guides to you on your research. You could also try watching Being John Malkovich for a creative way of looking at the "Freaky Mind-Body" thing.

You know it has to be an N thing.
    Last edited by neptunesnet; 09-23-2009 at 12:28 AM.

I absolutely have the same problem(gift?) experience(s?).

In fact(as far as I can tell), I'm constantly thinking about where I am in the world in relation to the things, people, places and ideas I (reluctantly) expose myself to. I can get so involved in playing the space-time reference game that I space out, as my boss puts it. When did you first have this alien-in-a-strange-world experience?

I remember feeling that I was trapped in someone else's body until I was about fourteen years old. Oh, yeah. traveling in a headship in a hazy video game with seven year old hands, where am i? who am I?...ugh...can't speak.

The reference to that Matrix scene is right on. When I was in high school, I read into "astral projection" and kundalini and OOBE and took a lot of hallucinogenic drugs, somehow believing that these weird experiences I had were somehow useful. something, something...what was I talking about?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Ginkgo

A year ago when I used to play GTA on a regular basis, I would sometimes find myself driving around and having sudden impulses to run people over. Then I took a step back and I asked myself "Holy shit! did I just think that?".

I subsequently quit playing GTA for obvious reasons, but I am not one to say that violent video games create violent children. After all, you could turn it around that violent children enjoy violent video games. Correlation does not equal causation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    A year ago when I used to play GTA on a regular basis, I would sometimes find myself driving around and having sudden impulses to run people over. Then I took a step back and I asked myself "Holy shit! did I just think that?".

I subsequently quit playing GTA for obvious reasons, but I am not one to say that violent video games create violent children. After all, you could turn it around that violent children enjoy violent video games. Correlation does not equal causation.

After the San Andreas came out, I started having these lucid dreams of me watching myself running from the police, one time(during the dream), I tried to lose the cop cars by running through a gas station, but one of the cars hit the pumps and everything blew up. I woke up with pains in my chest, all sweaty. I haven't played in years.

I never could figure out how to steal a car and pick up hookers, though......
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    After the San Andreas came out, I started having these lucid dreams of me watching myself running from the police, one time(during the dream), I tried to lose the cop cars by running through a gas station, but one of the cars hit the pumps and everything blew up. I woke up with pains in my chest, all sweaty. I haven't played in years.

I never could figure out how to steal a car and pick up hookers, though......
    I'm pretty sure you just pull over and press the 'whistle' button. I think that was the right bumper on the 360.

The last lucid dream I had involved me being a witch doctor from Diablo 3, spewing toxic flowers at incoming space crafts from my hands. Yes, toxic flowers. I also had a legion of the little dust mite things from "My Neighbor Totoro", but they just sat there for unknown reasons.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EIE

I had things like you mention when I was younger. When I was 5 or 6 I got this really intense thought that everything is a dream. How can I tell that I really live, since in the night I experience reality that seems as real?
    My father was a Buddhist, so he told me it's actually good I felt that. That got his son pretty confused back then.

Later, when I was 11-12, I sometimes had this experience of 'coming back' to my sense of self after being with other people a lot. Like on the summer camp, when I was with somebody CONSTANTLY, talking even while peeing when I finally got alone I had this funny feeling of rediscovering myself, my ego was coming back to me, after being melted with all the other people.

I think these experiences are to be treasured, not feared!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yes, but mine has an added dimension. I often feel that my mind is in the wrong body...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, I do this. I do it at work sometimes because I'm a part-time cashier in a grocery store and my work is frequently repetitive and boring.

I remember one time when I was about sixteen I woke up and saw myself lying beside myself. It frightened me.

I've noticed that I'll do this thing sometimes when I'm looking at an object which I hold dear, I'll suddenly realize how strongly I'm projecting my own consciousness upon said object. I think this is a mind-body dissociation.

When I was a dancer I would dissociate. I've read that this is common in women who do that sort of work.