• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] xNFx fidelity

How sexually faithful are you when in an relationship

• ENFJ - Always faithful

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • ENFJ - Occationally been unfaithful

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFJ - Rarely faithful

• ENFJ - Never faithful

• ENFP - Always faithful

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • ENFP - Occationally been unfaithful

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • ENFP- Rarely faithful

• ENFP - Never faithful

• INFJ - Always faithful

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • INFJ - Occationally been unfaithful

• INFJ - Rarely faithful

• INFJ - Never faithful

• INFP - Always faithful

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • INFP - Occationally been unfaithful

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • INFP - Rarely faithful

• INFP - Never faithful

• Total voters

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I remember I was so let down by ENFPs when there was another 'cheating' thread and apparently ENFPs have a 50/50 chance of cheating. I think it really depends on the ENFPs relationship to Fi.

Fi can be a double edged sword in this case. Either the ENFP has an internal value system which says, "Cheating is NO NO NO!" Or else Fi says, "Do what feels good and right"

I agree. It's all about values for ENFP's. And not common values but their own.

For me it's the absolutely NOOOO because my way of thinking is "How would I feel if my spouse would cheat on me?" And as the aswer is "Very bad" I think that I don't want to hurt somebody that I love so much. And thus the answer is simple for me in this case. And the values support the reasoning in my case.

JohnDoe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w7
Actually the only NF I know who cheated had a similar experience. An INFJ too (so much for INFJs cheating less). Sorry dude, in my book - that is cheating. If the other person hasn't been informed, it's cheating. You're still in the relationship until the other person has been informed otherwise. This is a slippery slope - for example, how long after you've started seeing the new person would it be okay to tell the not-yet-ex? Couldn't anyone then use this excuse of - well, it was really over for me but I hadn't told you yet? It sounds like this could easily be exploited for trying out something else while still hanging on to what is. It doesn't matter whether it was over in one's mind or not, it's about being honest and fair to the other person.

In most cases, this happens because the person who decides to cheat is too much of a coward to tell the not-yet-ex that it's over.

I definitely see it as a choice and a question of personal integrity. There are some things you just don't do to another human being, no matter how strong the temptation. This is one of them.

My definition of cheating involves actively deceiving someone by lieing or omission that your in a monogamous relationship with them. I don't consider the "you meet someone at a party and decide to start a relationship with them and dump your current SO" cheating so long as your not actively deceiving, because you notify them as soon as possible. If you don't notify your SO as soon as possible, yes its cheating. Hair splitting, I know, but cheating in my book requires deception about what is going on. There is no deception here, so there is no cheating. It would be cheating (and unethical) to start a relationship with someone else and not notify your SO asap. But is there a difference between a text message saying I'm dumping you at 10pm and one at 12pm? Not really. Yet under your definition one would make you a cheater and one wouldn't. Intent matters more then the exact timing. (Note, dumping via text message is lame. I'd rather wait and be considered a cheater under your definition and tell someone at least over the phone then do that. )

Edit: Lets be honest. We all know exactly when someone is cheating and when someone just hasn't notified their SO they are dumping them yet. In 99% of cases its the former. I'll use a I'll know it when I see it type test here.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I'm in love with you, it's nothing short of a catastrophic bonding that would dissolve me should I act in a vile or betraying manner. The very idea of cheating is repellent, though cheating seems to indicate that one is NOT in love.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My definition of cheating involves actively deceiving someone by lieing or omission that your in a monogamous relationship with them. I don't consider the "you meet someone at a party and decide to start a relationship with them and dump your current SO" cheating so long as your not actively deceiving, because you notify them as soon as possible. If you don't notify your SO as soon as possible, yes its cheating. Hair splitting, I know, but cheating in my book requires deception about what is going on. There is no deception here, so there is no cheating. It would be cheating (and unethical) to start a relationship with someone else and not notify your SO asap. But is there a difference between a text message saying I'm dumping you at 10pm and one at 12pm? Not really. Yet under your definition one would make you a cheater and one wouldn't. Intent matters more then the exact timing. (Note, dumping via text message is lame. I'd rather wait and be considered a cheater under your definition and tell someone at least over the phone then do that. )

Edit: Lets be honest. We all know exactly when someone is cheating and when someone just hasn't notified their SO they are dumping them yet. In 99% of cases its the former. I'll use a I'll know it when I see it type test here.
If my husband went to a bar, met a woman, slept with her, then came home and said oh, btw, I met someone I like better than you and I'm filing for divorce, I would definitely consider that cheating.

JohnDoe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w7
If my husband went to a bar, met a woman, slept with her, then came home and said oh, btw, I met someone I like better than you and I'm filing for divorce, I would definitely consider that cheating.

If I called you right before I slept with her and told you I wanted a divorce would that be any better?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i might have an odd view on this..but to me being in love should be this beautifully intimate all encompassing mutual feeling of passion, love and trust and...it just would never happen on either end....if that feeling were gone..it would most likely be over anyway so rather or not someone was unfaithful is beside the point.

G

garbage

If I called you right before I slept with her and told you I wanted a divorce would that be any better?

For that matter--and anyone can answer--is it cheating if the two haven't yet filed for divorce?

I'm pretty sure that's still considered adultery under most laws, but, oddly enough, it might be an instance of adultery that isn't also considered cheating.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
i might have an odd view on this..but to me being in love should be this beautifully intimate all encompassing mutual feeling of passion, love and trust and...it just would never happen on either end....if that feeling were gone..it would most likely be over anyway so rather or not someone was unfaithful is beside the point.

So basically, that the feelings of mutual passion, love, and trust would prevent "the couple" from cheating? And that if cheating occurs, then the relationship has already become lifeless?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Mildly, but it's still really crappy and I'd be calling around asking for the meanest, man-hating lawyer in town and trashing all your stuff while you were sleeping with her. :yes:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So basically, that the feelings of mutual passion, love, and trust would prevent "the couple" from cheating? And that if cheating occurs, then the relationship has already become lifeless?

i just don't think people cheat when they're committed so if they do then they weren't anyway...and to me that...that feeling of disconnect is the reason the relationship is over...the cheating was just a side effect.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My definition of cheating involves actively deceiving someone by lying or omission that you are in a monogamous relationship with them.

Let's see: your definition of cheating=active deception....okay

I don't consider the "you meet someone at a party and decide to start a relationship with them and dump your current SO" cheating so long as you're not actively deceiving, because you notify them as soon as possible.

I'm going to separate all the 'I think' statements from the definition you provided and the specific instance you provided. The specific instance: Your hypothetical SO at the time trusted you will hold to your end of the relationship while you are at the party or wherever else. In failing to respect that trust, while they actively believed that they could trust you -- how is this not active deception? Your definition and yet you have a strange way of applying it to the instance you provide.

These are rather malleable values you write about. So, essentially the way you have set it up - you can really never cheat as long as the person is informed, after. So all one needs to do to live with a clear conscience is to call the SO as soon as you find someone else who is more attractive (however you define this) and have already started seeing them is to inform them of the same, after???? The idea of starting a relationship at a party is a strange one to begin with... Does this not strike you as a lame attempt to set up an individual book of rules that excuses poor consideration of and respect for the SO and rather unethical behavior and clearly fits even your definition of cheating.

If you don't notify your SO as soon as possible, yes its cheating. Hair splitting, I know, but cheating in my book requires deception about what is going on. There is no deception here, so there is no cheating.

This is not hairsplitting it just doesn't fit your own definition -- letting someone believe that you are with them, regardless of how long this was for, while you break that trust is deception -- it doesn't matter what you call it in your book. You can use whatever personal rules of conduct you deem fit but you haven't explained how this is not active deception.

It would be cheating (and unethical) to start a relationship with someone else and not notify your SO asap. But is there a difference between a text message saying I'm dumping you at 10pm and one at 12pm? Not really. Yet under your definition one would make you a cheater and one wouldn't. Intent matters more then the exact timing. (Note, dumping via text message is lame. I'd rather wait and be considered a cheater under your definition and tell someone at least over the phone then do that. )

In what world is the above behavior ethical?

Firstly, having already addressed the strange definition of deception, here is what would be ethical in the above situation.

1. You have problems in your relationship and think you want out -- tell the person you're with just that and deal with the consequences. Don't wait until you get to a party and meet someone else.

2. You meet someone you can't resist and are committed to someone else, you don't start a relationship with said person. You go home and think about why this would be a bad idea first....there's a thought. Impulses can be controlled. That would be ethical behavior. I assume you have committed to the SO - does that not mean anything?

3. If you must follow your impulse after thinking through the consequences carefully then FIRST have a conversation with the person you are seeing and let them know that you are not wanting to continue the relationship. Take the time to explain why and be man/woman enough to listen to what they have to say, preferably face to face. This does not imply a text message or a phone call to INFORM them that you are done and have found someone else, it involves an in-person conversation where you provide an explanation and they get to express their part.

4. You take some time to both let your SO get over the conversation and, to be fair to the new person, to get distance from your last relationship. Then you could ethically consider a new relationship....really.

You are clearly missing the point -- while in one case, the person makes an attempt to hold on to the SO and in the second, they don't wish to do that. This only takes into account how you/said hypothetical person who is upgrading their SO feels. Neither considers the SO who is being deceived in either situation (how is it different for her/him - someone they trusted violated that trust) or the new person who is also deceived by not getting to meet and date someone who is truly unattached. It does not take away from the detrimental effects on the SO or the new person - unethical behavior towards both.

As would the rest of the world. Yes.

Poor options - see above for others. Clearly, as the person you are describing has such poor impulse control, even in this case, yes, it would be better to call first. Hopefully the wife would be able to provide such a great earful that it would serve as a potent antidote for any amorous feelings said person would have to towards anyone at the bar or anywhere else for a while. This would be before she uses good sense and dumps him, of course.

P.S. How old are you John Doe?

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Lol @ INFJs having no other answer but "always faithful."

Really, though: This is interesting. I've never been able to understand why relationships don't end when it's apparent that there's no love to speak of. Also, a marriage is a commitment, and asking filing for a divorce then sleeping with someone other than your spouse is... put nicely, low of character.

JohnDoe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w7
Let's see: your definition of cheating=active deception....okay

I'm going to separate all the 'I think' statements from the definition you provided and the specific instance you provided. The specific instance: Your hypothetical SO at the time trusted you will hold to your end of the relationship while you are at the party or wherever else. In failing to respect that trust, while they actively believed that they could trust you -- how is this not active deception? Your definition and yet you have a strange way of applying it to the instance you provide.
I don't expect to own people. If someone likes someone else enough to break up with me, I don't particularly give a damn if they break up with me before or after consummating that. I don't see a difference between the two. They are still breaking up with me. My main concern is that people tell me as soon as possible so that I do not waste my life with someone who is not a good match for me. Either way the relationship is a failure. And if there is someone who is so much better then me for them that they want to leave me for them, so be it. I hold no ill will if there is a better match in the world, and am pretty happy if they are genuinely happier in the long run. And if that is the case, waiting a day or two to notify me isn't really going to change the fact that they are still leaving me. So why should I bear them ill will based on technicalities of hours on when they actually meet? We are talking about relationships here, not trading stocks. Hours or even a few days do not matter in the long run.
P.S. How old are you John Doe?

JohnDoe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w7
As would the rest of the world. Yes.

What if you were just in a relationship and not living together? Its easy to talk about clear cut when you have laws defining what is allowed. Not so easy when you have to actually think about the issues.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Not so easy when you have to actually think about the issues effects of your actions on other people.

Fixed. I'm done, thanks. Good luck and hope things work out for you.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
Never mind if he could have dealt with it - if I'd been the one to cheat I couldn't have dealt with it and probably would have offed myself as a result.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Never mind if he could have dealt with it - if I'd been the one to cheat I couldn't have dealt with it and probably would have offed myself as a result.

Yes, if I cheated it would disturb me a lot afterwards as well. I don't even know what I would do with myself.

Honestly the thought of being with someone else never crosses my mind when I'm with someone I really like...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't expect to own people. If someone likes someone else enough to break up with me, I don't particularly give a damn if they break up with me before or after consummating that. I don't see a difference between the two. They are still breaking up with me. My main concern is that people tell me as soon as possible so that I do not waste my life with someone who is not a good match for me. Either way the relationship is a failure. And if there is someone who is so much better then me for them that they want to leave me for them, so be it. I hold no ill will if there is a better match in the world, and am pretty happy if they are genuinely happier in the long run. And if that is the case, waiting a day or two to notify me isn't really going to change the fact that they are still leaving me. So why should I bear them ill will based on technicalities of hours on when they actually meet? We are talking about relationships here, not trading stocks. Hours or even a few days do not matter in the long run.
So say you've been married for ten years, you've got two or three kids and you are working your rear off 50+ hours a week to support your family for the whole ten years. While you are working your butt off, your wife gets lonely and starts something up with one of your buddies and tells you about it a couple of days after they finally have sex, including the part where she's leaving you. Now you are going to have to continue to work like a dog to pay child support while your buddy is banging your wife and you only get to see your kids every other weekend and you weren't given any say in the matter.

That's something that you'd be just fine with?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i get what he's saying though...i think. it's not like whoohoo this is fantastic or like yeah...totally fine by me honey..hope you're happy...it's more like...damn...this sucks...but nothing to do but accept it and realize you never had what you thought you had...might as well know now.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't know. Just because a relationship dies doesn't mean you never had anything in the first place or that it couldn't have been saved. Even if you are in love and compatible, relationships require nurture.

It would stink to realize after the fact that you could have done something if only you'd known your partner was unhappy. If, instead of working on a current relationship, you begin a courtship relationship with someone else, of course your current relationship is doomed.

If every time you start to feel less than satisfied with your partner, you go out looking for greener pastures, you can expect to leave a lot of broken relationships in your wake. Heck, if I did that, I probably wouldn't have a relationship last longer than my next case of PMS.