User Tag List

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default INFPs versus ENFPs

I obviously love my INFP.

But, I was just thinking about his sister - who tested as an ENFP. She kind of drives me nuts. She's almost spastic sometimes with her goofiness. She talks over the top of people and ALWAYS needs to be the center of attention. She holds grudges against people and makes judgements about people that are WAY out there, based on what she perceives. She is extremely controlling too. I think that she is immature, but how much of that is her personality?

It's only one letter difference, why does it seem like an ocean between the two?

Well, and you should keep in my mind that I'm an ISFJ as well, I suppose. I suppose I have a flaw or two...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Well, personally, that doesn't sound too much like an ENFP. Yes, sometimes ENFPs like to be the center of attention (guilty ), but making judgements on people who are way out there doesn't seem like much of an ENFP thing, but I could be wrong. I know I stand for maybe a few other ENFPs when I say that we are possibly the wackiest of wacky (or maybe that's just me, LOL) and controlling is never something I seek. I loathe control. I'm not just saying that to argue my point, because I honestly hate being the catalyst in any reaction that even thinks about jeopardizing someones well being, emotions, etc etc.

But then again, she could be an ENFP. All I can say is- learn from her. You can't change others. You can try, but that is not something worth your time. She is she, and you are you. If you don't want anything to do with her, than don't. And also remember that MBTI has little to do with these traits you are describing.

So don't worry too much about it. I can understand where you are coming from. Maybe she is typed wrong? Maybe you should learn to live with her and gain some patience. Maybe she needs to learn a thing or two? I don't know.

I hope this helps.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Hey there
    When it comes to enfp infps,it shouldnt be a versus, but a plus!
    I have yet to know an ENFP with grudges and controlling traits.Actually,my experience with them has been all the opposite..
    From what you tell us,she is probably still in the process of taming her extraverted intuition,which might be something many enfps deal with in their teens..
    On the E/I dichotomy,some authors (Kiersey) think is the least important,while others may disagree..
    dont carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, isfj

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

This is another case where it might be more illuminating to look at their enneagrams, since that system accounts for levels of health.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SciVo View Post
    This is another case where it might be more illuminating to look at their enneagrams, since that system accounts for levels of health.
    I am not sure what the enneagrams are. I went to the link you provided and the test there costs $10. Does anyone know of a free one?

Now I'm feeling a little guilty because I attributed negative personality traits with a personality type. I guess I'd just like to understand her.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Try the free RHETI sampler. It was enough to reveal that I'm a type 9, since my result was basically 1 through 6, and randomly uninterpretable results are typical of 9s.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchop View Post
    Now I'm feeling a little guilty because I attributed negative personality traits with a personality type. I guess I'd just like to understand her.
    Don't worry. It was pretty clear that you just wanted to check whether this was type related. No misunderstanding there .

For enneagrams, I always liked this one: 9 Types

ENFPs are usually type 7s.

There's some interesting stuff on enneagram-MBTi correlations from the RHETI test here also. (I wonder if there has been any more recent studies with more data. These things seem to vary a lot too. So you need to read a few different ones to get an idea.)
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That's some fascinating stuff, noigmn! Sure enough, an INFP is most commonly a 4 or 9; and my life is dominated right now by my acceptingness, which I've felt is a crucial part of why I seem so much healthier right now than in the past. Thank you for those links, which validate how I perceive current events.